Author Topic: Wither Weatherflow?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Wither Weatherflow?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »
Speaking of Rainwise, I think they might be in the best spot to create a Davis challenger.
As far as I'm concerned, they have been for years. Ten plus years ago when I was in the market, these were my only two considerations. Davis won out for it's aspiration and ability to remote the anny, even though back then the RW had "generally" better sensor specs. No longer the case.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:13:41 PM by CW2274 »

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 06:54:49 PM »
I have been plagued with reliability problems with my Acu-Rite set up for over year now.  Back in the spring, I was considering the purchase of a $500 last-generation RM Young ultrasonic anemometer as a starting point for building my own weather station from best of breed components.  When somebody posted a link to the WeatherFlow campaign here, I immediately bought in as a backer because I think it has promise and the campaign organizers are a mature company and not a bunch of dreamer kids.  I'm patiently waiting for them to work the kinks out, I will let everyone know as soon as I get mine about what its capabilities are.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
2 winter ago we hit -64 and several days in the -50's and lot of -45'ish. Does that answer you question that you could have looked up but was to lazy to.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:31 PM »
That rain sensor intrigues the hell out of me.
Only downside is that it said it compares with tipper gauges, and we all know about those.
Still, it sounds like accurate data is their ultimate goal.
Would really like to see some side by side comparisons of wind and rain data with a Davis or other high end system to see for our selves.
Overall this unit sounds very promising.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:40 PM »
2 winter ago we hit -64 and several days in the -50's and lot of -45'ish. Does that answer you question that you could have looked up but was to lazy to.
Too lazy to?? What exactly was I to look up, smart ass? I asked a legitimate question and you come back with this BS. Nice.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
let me guess  you asked how many time we saw those temps. well they are found in climate records of Alaska. Amazing that an high school drop out can find stuff and you can't.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »

My concern is how it deals with frozen precipitation, or when coated with a layer of freezing rain.  Will it over-count sleet?  Will it record *anything* for snow...since snow melt will most likely not be measured like it is in a tipping bucket?  I know that a few commercial grade stations are using acoustic rain gauges, and am curious to see how the WF fares against my Acu-Rite setup.....

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »

My concern is how it deals with frozen precipitation, or when coated with a layer of freezing rain.  Will it over-count sleet?  Will it record *anything* for snow...since snow melt will most likely not be measured like it is in a tipping bucket?  I know that a few commercial grade stations are using acoustic rain gauges, and am curious to see how the WF fares against my Acu-Rite setup.....
They didn't mention frozen precip at all so I'm"guessing" it doesn't record it.
Now that I think about it that would have to be an extremely sensitive sensor to record a snowflake. :???:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2016, 07:32:54 PM »
let me guess  you asked how many time we saw those temps. well they are found in climate records of Alaska. Amazing that an high school drop out can find stuff and you can't.
I asked how many times YOU saw those temps, as in YOU, not WE, as in the entire frikkin' state of Alaska. Christ, sorry I asked....... :roll:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
Geez.. all this over "wither" versus "whither" versus "weather".  Pass the popcorn.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »
It seems to me some people just cant wait when there is even the slightest opportunity to verbally attack somone....

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
Geez.. all this over "wither" versus "whither" versus "weather".  Pass the popcorn.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:19 PM »
 ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 11:03:47 PM »
It seems to me some people just cant wait when there is even the slightest opportunity to verbally attack somone....

True story:  I have met some of the folks from my Internet whizzers over the year and they are all great people.  I think the anonymity of the Net encourages behaviours that would otherwise not exist.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 01:44:29 AM »
I see those temps a lot more then you see 120-130 on an Davis. Oh well i'll just go sit in the back of the bus  and leave you to your elite friends.

Offline GaryFunk

• fSoft, Ltd
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 06:18:15 PM »
OK found it (hidden in FAQ at the very bottom :D)

Lightning Sensor

(AMS AS3935)
detects cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning strikes up to 40 km (25 miles)
estimates strength distance to leading edge of storm
Temperature/Humidity Sensor

(Silicon Labs Si7021)
air temperature -40° to 85 °C +/- 0.4 °C
relative humidity 0 to 100% +/- 4%
reports dew point & apparent temperature
Pressure Sensor

(Bosch BMP280)
atmospheric (barometric) pressure up to 1100 mbar +/- 1 mbar
reports both station pressure & mean sea level pressure
Haptic Rain Sensor

(WeatherFlow design)
detects the instant it starts to rain
provides hourly rate & daily accumulation at 0.2mm resolution
Sonic Wind Sensor

(WeatherFlow design)
continuously samples wind speed and direction 0 to 100 mph +/- 0.5 mph
calculates one-minute and five-minute average speed, direction & gust
Light Sensor

(Silicon Labs Si1132)
visible and infrared ambient light 1 to 128 kLUX +/- 100 mLUX
UV index (0-11+)
reports solar radiation 0 to 1900 W/m2 +/- 5%
Actually, it reports only local pressure.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 07:56:40 PM »
For what it's worth, I received my Air and bridge last week from the supporters buy-in.  (Temperature, humidity, barometer, lightning.) They are still working a few kinks out of the Sky (wind/solar/UV/haptic rain), but I'm expecting to see it before the holidays.

If anyone needs it, I cobbled together an ugly weewx station interface that grabs the UDP network broadcasts off of the local LAN segment.  Not pretty enough to put my name on yet, but it seems to be stable so far.....

Offline GaryFunk

• fSoft, Ltd
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 02:27:15 AM »
The UDP data is quick and easy but requires a lot of work to get all the useful weather information.

This is what I have so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

anything