Author Topic: Special Top Level Domain Codes For Weather Sites  (Read 4127 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Special Top Level Domain Codes For Weather Sites
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
Dot WX top level domain name is not currently in use.  How can we establish the .wx top level domain name that can then be issued only to weather stations worldwide?  Another possibility is .pws, which could be issued only to private weather stations.
Weather folks, lets organize and make some money registering domains for special weather sites.
Al

p.s.  WX is the old abbreviation for weather that was used in Morse code days when many common terms were shortened for faster transmission.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Special Top Level Domain Codes For Weather Sites
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
ICANN is the agency responsible for assigning TLDs:

http://www.icann.org/

The new naming convention known as Generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) currently under development is supposed to allow almost anything to be a TLD including numbers and symbols.

How can we establish the .wx top level domain name that can then be issued only to weather stations worldwide?  Another possibility is .pws, which could be issued only to private weather stations.

Restricting TLDs is dicey business these days.  The only ones I know of that are really restricted are .edu and .gov although there may be a few others.  TLDs used to have a specific purpose but .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info and a few others have become more or less general purpose.  Even the country based TLDs aren't always restricted to residents or entities based in that country.  The domain name .tv is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the islands of Tuvalu, but is being marketed for television and video sites.  (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.tv  )

« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:40:07 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
gTLD will make iCANN's job easier, or at least productive.  When the novelty TLDs .biz and .name went land-rush, it seemed everything was already spoken for.

Here's a bit of frustrating fact for you...  I bought the expensive ExamCram2 for Network+ back in 2001 and in a sidebar it explained that icann's naming convention was...  .com = commercial, .net = network, .org = organization, .tv = television and .ws = website.  Fortunately, there were no questions about Tuvalu or Western Samoa on the exam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Red Dragon

• Weather Chipmunk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
I looked more into this and .wx and .pws seem to be unclaimed. .weather has been bought by the weather channel so you will have to talk to them about that. I looked and it seems that a gTLD can't be two letters and if you were to buy .pws, beside the other requirements, you have to pay ICANN $185,000

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »
Ok maybe I'm just weird but I'm asking myself why

anything