Author Topic: Tropical storm Simon, please turn west  (Read 2578 times)

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Tropical storm Simon, please turn west
« on: October 06, 2014, 02:45:37 AM »
As much as I know we can use the moisture out here in the southwest I'd really like it if T.S. Simon would turn west tomorrow, otherwise chances of seeing the lunar eclipse on the morning of the 8th are going to be slim.  Of course the universe will just sit back and chuckle as the clouds roll in so I guess I can go see a movie or something instead.  As of the most recent forecast the 5-day projection shows Simon in the western Gulf of California at 5pm Wednesday making a beeline towards southern Arizona.

Simon if you do bring us rain just make it slow and steady, not like the 3+ inches that parts of the valley received in less than 12 hours a couple of weeks ago!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Tropical storm Simon, please turn west
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:11:22 AM »
I'm hoping to catch the eclipse too as the moon sets. Supposedly Columbus State University will be tracking and "airing" it on the web if you have clouds at the time.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:44:28 AM »
Thanks Dan!  I know there are a couple of other options, Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles is supposed to have a webcast for the event and as of right now their clear sky forecast is looking a lot better than mine :? If I didn't have other commitments Wednesday I'd seriously consider driving west to find some clear skies.  On the plus side we still have two more total lunar eclipses coming up on April 4th and September 27th of 2015 so I may just have to wait for one of them.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »
So Simon decided to move on thru the state over the last couple of days bringing the wet cool weather with him.  The high temperature on Sunday was 90 and Monday's max was 75 at midnight; it dipped down to 66 by 11:18 when the rain started in and then climbed all the way back up to 68 by midnight before dropping off again.  As far as rain goes we recorded 0.25 inches for the 24hr period up to midnight last night, the clouds broke briefly after sunset and I finally got a chance to see the moon (far too late for any eclipse action) but then it started clouding up again and when I got home this morning we were in the midst of a minor deluge - for the 1hr period ending at 6:32 am we received 0.62 inches and all of that was after 6:00 am with the highest rain rate for the period being 1.1 inches/hr. 

Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
Listen if you guys in the big city don't want the rain just send it all down here to poor old Tombstone

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:34:05 AM »
That storm is going to get me wet today through Friday and whiten the top of Pikes Peak with around 16 inches of snow.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
Listen if you guys in the big city don't want the rain just send it all down here to poor old Tombstone
Oh we want it, just not a year's worth in a couple of storms!  And this was a nice tight little cell; when i looked at it on the NWS radar it had popped up just as I was driving home and really dumped on the area east of the far east valley but the rest of the Mesa/Tempe?Chandler area was mostly dry. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »
That storm is going to get me wet today through Friday and whiten the top of Pikes Peak with around 16 inches of snow.

You sure did get wet today.

•3 SW Colorado Springs [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.93 INCH at 9 Oct, 9:00 PM MDT --
•5 NE AIR Force Academy [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 0.86 INCH at 9 Oct, 5:30 PM MDT --
•4 NNE Colorado Springs [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 1.95 INCH at 9 Oct, 5:30 PM MDT --
•2 NE Falcon [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.20 INCH at 9 Oct, 5:00 PM MDT --
•1 W Colorado Springs [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.13 INCH at 9 Oct, 5:00 PM MDT --
•Manitou Springs [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.15 INCH at 9 Oct, 5:00 PM MDT --
•2 NW Peterson AFB [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.10 INCH at 9 Oct, 3:37 PM MDT --
•2 NE Woodland Park [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 1.21 INCH at 9 Oct, 3:30 PM MDT --
•1 SE Colorado Springs [El Paso Co, CO] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HEAVY RAIN of 2.25 INCH at 9 Oct, 3:15 PM MDT --

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 06:43:35 AM »
I missed the eclipse here in Mass. too.  There was a thunderstorm going on right at moonset whan I got to school.  15 minutes later the rain stopped and there were patches of blue sky.  Shortly after that a stunning rainbow formed right where moonset had been.  That could've been a great photo.