Author Topic: Moving to Windows 10 problems  (Read 4357 times)

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
Moving to Windows 10 problems
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
I seem to be having problems with the drivers moving to Windows 10. It won't install them without them being digitally signed, and when I use the method of disabling signed driver enforcement, it crashes the computer(bsod) before finishing installing. I'm using the 64-bit driver from their website, the one included with the astrogenic software.
This install was a copy from the old disk so I wonder if not everything has been uninstalled correctly before attempting to reinstall. Would anyone happen to know how to completely get rid of all instances to perform a clean install?
Also, I notice that there are no instances of Jungo anywhere on the computer, even the device manager. The storm tracker shows in device manager, but only as a pci device with an exclamation point with it.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm one of the volunteers for the toa project in Florida, so I'd really like to get this figured out.

Thanks for any advice!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Moving to Windows 10 problems
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
There probably is a better forum that could be used for your question but let me give you my thoughts having tried to convert three computers from Windows 7 to 10. My computers that were less than 3 years old converted fine. The one that was 10 years old would not work. Had to resort to a system recovery from the original disks. My video card is too old to work with Windows 10 and Nvidia does not plan any driver update for that card. If you contacted Microsoft directly they may be able to help you do a clean install which is the way to go. Assuming you can get Windows 10 to work, I prepared a list of useful shortcuts in Windows 10 that I keep handy and you and others reading this thread may find it useful too. It is attached.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply, and the links. I do appreciate it.
Everything on the new computer works. All of the weather software works. The WxSim, Weather-Display, webcams, etc. The only thing that doesn't work is installing the drivers for the Boltek Storm Tracker PCI card. I was just wondering really if anyone who has a Boltek Storm Tracker PCI card and has it running on Windows 10 has encountered the same or a similar problem.
I had it running for 7 years previously on a Windows Vista machine.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:41:19 PM by JupiterJoe »

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
What version number is the Jungo driver? The 64bit one I see on the Boltek website is 10.1 and it appears that Jungo did not add support for Windows 10 until version 11.9 (Win 10 technical preview), support for the public release of Win 10 came with version 12.0 http://www.jungo.com/st/support/windriver/wdver/. Jungo is a third party driver and Boltek has traditionally been kinda slow to update it.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 12:07:05 AM »
I don't know what version. It's bizarre. Under device manager, Jungo shows and expanding it, it says "Unknown Device" and it won't load or install drivers when directed to update. It says it found it, but had an error trying to install it.
Screenshot from device manager:

Jungo Properties tab:

Jungo Update tab:

Storm Tracker Properties tab:

Storm Tracker update tab:

It's all very weird. I'm downloading the same drivers that it worked with in the Vista system, and people say it works on Windows 10, so I wonder what the deal with my Windows 10 is?

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »
The driver version number should be on the driver tab of the Jungo device manager properties dialog.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
No, it doesn't say anything there either. Very weird.

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
Have you tried installing in Vista compatibility mode?  I had to do that with a printer driver when moving to win 10.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
Have you tried installing in Vista compatibility mode?  I had to do that with a printer driver when moving to win 10.

Jay
I just tried that, thank you for the suggestion. Still the same thing. It just doesn't want to recognize the drivers even though it finds them. Driving me crazy!!