Author Topic: Aculink Outage  (Read 4896 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Aculink Outage
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
Seems the aculink MBW is Effed up again. It also causes the bridge to lose it's ability to read the sensors pings for whatever reason, even the barometer.

I am wondering if the acurite folks have simply just put too many folks on their system for what it is capable of?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Aculink Outage
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »
Mine is fine.  Accessing my backyard and house from 300 miles away.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:00:50 PM »
Mine is fine.  Accessing my backyard and house from 300 miles away.

It seems to be back at the moment. The company acknowledged the outage.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
I noticed that earlier tonight.  At first I thought it was my station, but I remember it being mentioned a couple days ago or so about an Aculink outage.  Thankfully, I just use my bridge to send the data to the Aculink site.  I have a laptop with Weather Display doing all the other work.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Anyone else notice problems between 2:30-5:05 PM EST today?  My station dropped off of WU for lack of updates, and MBW's last update stamps on each sensor were all over the place as well.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
Anyone else notice problems between 2:30-5:05 PM EST today?  My station dropped off of WU for lack of updates, and MBW's last update stamps on each sensor were all over the place as well.....

Nothing noted here.  Logs all look good.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:51:32 PM »

Nothing noted here.  Logs all look good.

My stuff looks normal. I am even mixing it up with the tower sensor as my temperature reading.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:17:47 AM »
Aculink had another outage last night. For an hour. For a while, into this time, I was able to send temperature data from a tower sensor on my meteobridge, but not data from the 5 in 1. Interesting.

I also lost about 20 minutes of some data from CWOP, but not the full hour outage. I found the topic on acurite support going on and wanted to just get that info out to those who may be looking into what is going on.

Code: [Select]
07 Feb 10:27 pm EST 42 24 48 SSW 2G04 30.14 30.126 0.00 OK
07 Feb 10:17 pm EST 42 23 47 SW 3G03 30.14 30.126 0.00 OK
07 Feb 10:07 pm EST 42 SW 4G04 0.00 OK
07 Feb 9:53 pm EST S 3G03 0.00 OK
07 Feb 9:36 pm EST 44 S 1G01 0.00 OK
07 Feb 9:23 pm EST 45 22 40 S 3G05 30.15 30.136 0.00 OK
07 Feb 9:12 pm EST 46 23 40 S 3G05 30.15 30.136 0.00 OK

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:20:41 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
Looks like the site is down again this morning!!!! This is  getting really frustrating.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
FIne here now...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:53:01 PM »
Looks like the site is down again this morning!!!! This is  getting really frustrating.

I ordered "Plan B" from Amazon earlier in the week:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A81ISJ6/

This device was recommended in the MeteoBridge section here for converting the USB signal to connect an Acu-Rite (or other) console to a MeteoBridge router.  Since I am only reporting the 5-in-1 data to WU with MeteoBridge, I really don't need the Acu-Rite bridge and MBW any more.  I haven't switched over yet, mostly because I don't know how the barometer reading will change when I swap the bridge's barometer for the 1035 USB console.  However, I'm putting Acu-Rite on notice that I *do* have an exit strategy :grin: if they don't get their MBW act together.....  ](*,)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 02:25:32 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if a janitor is unplugging some IT gear to run his vacuum.   ;)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
I'm starting to wonder if a janitor is unplugging some IT gear to run his vacuum.   ;)

That was a life support machine in the hospital room and a floor buffer. :lol:  I'm wondering if Acu-Rite's holiday sales of MBW-capable weather stations isn't overloading their current server infrastructure?????

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »
I don't know much about servers, but when Acurite started the idea of the bridge to their weather machine, they should have planned very carefully how they would handle the load from all these customers wanting their data shared... In reality, we should not have to resort to all these different methods to get our weather on the maps. Acurite should have just skipped the Aculink weather widgets. It's too complicated, but use something like the bridge webpage with the toggle button, and let us use just a little bandwidth to upload to 3 or 4 sites, with one rapidfire option.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:32:38 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 03:31:46 PM »

That was a life support machine in the hospital room and a floor buffer. :lol:  I'm wondering if Acu-Rite's holiday sales of MBW-capable weather stations isn't overloading their current server infrastructure?????

I'm guessing that's a large part of it.  Or perhaps they're running into some sort of license limitation (e.g. number of database connections).  Or maybe a bad load-balancing configuration. 

Someone posted the dates and times of the outages of the last couple months.  It's interesting to note that 6 of the 7 outages occurred during the weekend.  Only one happened during the week and that was during normal office hours. 

I wonder if that pattern reflects consumer usage patterns or lack of IT monitoring (or both).

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
...or just that we're having *another* storm here in the northeast, which seems to corollate with many of MBW's outages/hiccups.....

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »
The Aculink and Meteobridge are down again, and hav been for an hour.

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »
Same for me. Very frustrating!
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740

Offline gardengrub

• KNEVALPA2
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
Same Here.  I'm beginning to think that the Bridge can't continue to function unless MBY is up.  I'm curious to know how its firmware functions.  I'm wondering if it is programmed to reboot if it does not receive a specific response from the Acurite server when it attempts to upload data.  So, when it looses contact with the mothership it begins its reboot cycle and thus the Meteobridge is left with no data to sniff.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
I had to actually unplug / Reboot the Meteobridge D-Link Router this time before data started flowing to sites or even showing up in the Live data tab. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) (after Aculink came back on)

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:26 AM »
I had to do the same thing. All is good for the right now.
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 09:52:48 AM »
They posted to expect issues today:

The AcuLink servers that host the My Backyard Weather software and app may experience slow performance, and possibly a brief outage, sometime on 2/10.

This maintenance is a cloud server upgrade. There is no action required on your part and the AcuRite product should not be affected, however if you experience any issues, please try unplugging the power source for 10 seconds and then power back up again.

If you have any questions or experience any issues, please post them here in our online support forum.

Thank you,

The AcuRite Team

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
Same Here.  I'm beginning to think that the Bridge can't continue to function unless MBY is up.  I'm curious to know how its firmware functions.  I'm wondering if it is programmed to reboot if it does not receive a specific response from the Acurite server when it attempts to upload data.  So, when it looses contact with the mothership it begins its reboot cycle and thus the Meteobridge is left with no data to sniff.

I use a Raspberry Pi setup that allows me to run independently of MBW.  I designed it for times when my link to the Internet might go down for issues like severe weather.

My scripts don't look for a response code from MBW.  Under normal circumstances, however, it does return the string:

{ "success": 1, "checkversion": "126" }

after each transmission.  I've never caught it changing, but that "126" probably refers to the most recent version number of the firmware available.

During the last outage, I was only getting the "success" code half the time.  I'm not sure if that means half the data was being lost, or if MBW was just too sick to respond properly.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:19:10 AM by nincehelser »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 06:43:10 PM »
My scripts don't look for a response code from MBW.  Under normal circumstances, however, it does return the string:

after each transmission.  I've never caught it changing, but that "126" probably refers to the most recent version number of the firmware available.

How difficult could it be to make a web site that simply sends the above response and can be called via DNS spoofing?

Look, ma!  I just replaced MBW! :)

<?php
echo "{ \"success\": 1, \"checkversion\": \"126\" }";
?>

What do I need to name the file on my web server so that the posting URL "works" when the bridge calls it?  I'm surprised that MeteoBridge hasn't done this already.....

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »

How difficult could it be to make a web site that simply sends the above response and can be called via DNS spoofing?

Look, ma!  I just replaced MBW! :)

<?php
echo "{ \"success\": 1, \"checkversion\": \"126\" }";
?>

What do I need to name the file on my web server so that the posting URL "works" when the bridge calls it?  I'm surprised that MeteoBridge hasn't done this already.....

That should work.  My first version used a web server to mimic MBW, but I found it was easier to do it at the network level.

Some prefer to use a web app to interpret the data just as MBW would and avoid using tcpdump.

It's six of one, half-dozen of the other.  Pick whichever fits your programming preferences.

Anyway, this is the url the bridge is using:

http://www.acu-link.com/messages

anything