Author Topic: ** Sponsors ** Who has them? Building a relationship.....  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
** Sponsors ** Who has them? Building a relationship.....
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
With over 17,000 hits in 12 months I am looking at upgrading both my site as well as some of my hardware. I am looking at sponsorship and have had a few requests from small local business owners about advertising. Any thoughts, tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: ** Sponsors ** Who has them? Building a relationship.....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
Well I just went to your site 3:21pm eastern and nothing seem to be giving the right data. So I can't think of why anyone would return. The date is not right either says it updating and the temp was in the 50s but the NWS say it in the 80s  #-o Something is broken you just can't ask for someone to kick in money and not be up and running 24/7 360 with out the data being right .  I would be  :oops:

Wasn't trying to be mean.. hope you except my apology.  :-) 
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
Honestly, who wants to put money on a page that has not been updated since 27 February?

If you want sponsors, you will first have your site updated and you will also have to fix all those 404.

This is just a friendly advice.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline BurnsvilleWeather

• Burnsville, MN USA
  • Forecaster
  • Retired from Weather!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
Last "SnowCam" image was from 4/5/2011 at 6:11:11AM too.  Doesn't look like an active site at all. 
www.BurnsvilleWeatherLIVE.com (Formally Webster Weather LIVE)
Home of the Alternative Dashboard and Mobile Dashboard Scripts. Weather Display Scripts and Graphics

Davis VP2 with, UV, Solar, Leaf, Web Cam.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
To bring this back on topic, if any of you do have advertisers, how do you approach them?
I get 20-25k page views a month and would really like to get some new equipment, but the wife
aint working and there's no $$$ for me to do any weather related stuff with.

And if you do have advertisers, do you charge per month, per year or what?

Thanks!
Tony

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
On a larger issue with weather websites, I have started by pounding the pavement. Emails and visits to local businesses usually do the trick. Applebees is my snowfall contest sponser and they have graciously done it for the past 4 years. Nothing out of my pocket. They give me a $25 or $50 giift certificate to me to pass on to the winner(s) of the contest. That's just a start. I am still looking for paid sponsors to help offest the cost of doing business.

Jim

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
I would think there are 2 different approaches to adding ads.
1. Google ads - This is probably the easiest. Most of the ads would probably not be for the local businesses.
2. Local businesses Sponsor - This would take some sales skills. Put yourself in their shoes. If you were a local business, what would you hope to gain from advertising on a weather website?

Have you used Google Analytics http://www.google.com/intl/en/analytics/index.html to study the people who are visiting? I have averages about 32,000 hits per year over 3 years. But that is not really important. Probably 10% of those hits are me.  ;) What is important is unique visitors. I get roughly 50 unique visitors a day. Of those I am guessing 30% are not from around here. (visiting from forums, or webcam hoping) So of the 35 people who are local, (meaning 7 county region) how many would actually respond to an ad? If a sponsor were to pay, say $50 per year to advertise, what would his Return On Investment (ROI) be?

Personally I hate ads and I am an avid user of ad blocking software. One picture ads are not so bad, but the internet is now filled with scrolling, popping, flashing, etc.. ads that are so obnoxious that it is hard to see the webpage. If I want to buy something, I just Google it to find the best deal.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
I did go the Google ads route to generate some $$. Probably by the end of the year it will generate
2 years of hosting money for me.

I also use Google Analytics. Great addition to my site. I get enough hits that charging someone say
$50 a year may be worth a little to them. I was thinking of asking someone if they want to advertise
on my site for nothing just to see if it's worth it to them for the heck of it. Depending on the weather here,
I can get 10-12k pageviews in a month and they'd have some good viability on my website I think.
Tony

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
I've kept ads off my site. I figure I'll do it as a public service. I too hate ads, plus, our lead technical support teacher won't even take kids to websites that have ads.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
Well I just went to your site 3:21pm eastern and nothing seem to be giving the right data. So I can't think of why anyone would return. The date is not right either says it updating and the temp was in the 50s but the NWS say it in the 80s  #-o Something is broken you just can't ask for someone to kick in money and not be up and running 24/7 360 with out the data being right .  I would be  :oops:

Wasn't trying to be mean.. hope you except my apology.  :-) 

No offense taken :) The 968 I had been using finally crapped out completely last week. A Brand New VP2 will be here this Wednesday and up and running by hopefully Thursday or Friday.
Bobby M.

KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
To bring this back on topic, if any of you do have advertisers, how do you approach them?
I get 20-25k page views a month and would really like to get some new equipment, but the wife
aint working and there's no $$$ for me to do any weather related stuff with.

And if you do have advertisers, do you charge per month, per year or what?

Thanks!

Thanks Tony ;)

Bobby M.

KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
My older weather site has two info tags on it on the bottom of the menu.  One for Xara and one for PhoneTag (don't use that product any more).

Both are unobtrusive and the Xara, which is a product I use myself a lot, generated a lot of revenue for a couple years until they screwed up the affiliate program.  I still get notifications from PhoneTag which would provide me with 1 month free service if someone actually signed up for it.

I used Google voice now instead.

My newer weather site, doesn't have any ads on it.  I sponsor it myself or rather my business does.

One of these years, I will merge the two into a single site using the software I am using on the new site as it is much easier to maintain and make quick changes to.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Gentoo X = Complete_Control
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 05:16:32 AM »
I use all Google Ads on my site. They do match me up with many of our local businesses in my area.

I started using Google Ads from nearly the very beginning of my weather site, back in mid 2006. At first I thought, why bother because it was just pennies per month. It took me about 2 years to finally get my first paycheck. Now I get a paycheck each and every month for the past several years. I won't tell you the exact income, but to give you a rough idea, it is more than 400 hundred bucks every month. Each year the income has doubled so far. Google ads are very productive.

I think Weather Sites have a unique niche for advertisers. There is an endless number of products that fit perfectly with the weather scheme.
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:28:03 AM »
How many visitors do you have per day/monty in order to get that type of return?

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 04:51:04 AM »
How many visitors do you have per day/monty in order to get that type of return?

With unique hits only I average around 85,000ish monthly and between 2,500 to 3,200ish a day.

I get the unique hits data from here:
http://usaweatherfinder.com

Placerville is near to top of page
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »

I get the unique hits data from here:
http://usaweatherfinder.com

Placerville is near to top of page

If you are using USAweatherfinder for unique hits, you may be doing your site stats a disservice. They only count unique public IP addresses. So, if everyone here at work visits your site, (all 9 of us) through our single cable modem, we get counted as one unique hit, not 9. Look at a free counter like Statcounter, which is cookie based, for better numbers.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:44 PM »
With unique hits only I average around 85,000ish monthly and between 2,500 to 3,200ish a day.
Only 2,500-3,200 per day?  :roll:
Using statcounter, I get a whopping 50-60 unique visitors per day.  :-) Maybe in severe weather it may get up to 200 on that day.

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:55 AM »

If you are using USAweatherfinder for unique hits, you may be doing your site stats a disservice. They only count unique public IP addresses. So, if everyone here at work visits your site, (all 9 of us) through our single cable modem, we get counted as one unique hit, not 9. Look at a free counter like Statcounter, which is cookie based, for better numbers.

Thanks Chris! You bring up some good points. I was aware of the handicap on unique hits at USAweatherfinder, but I didn't know about the unique hits cookie procedure at Statcounter. Good to know! I also like that they have the "returnees" stat. I have been using Sitemeter for several years. A very nice service but as you probably know they don't do unique hits. I am running both for now. I should probably dump usaweatherfinder to make up for the extra bandwidth.
-Danny
-root is everything