Author Topic: SkySpy Software  (Read 36383 times)

Offline 10ACTony

Re: SkySpy Software
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2015, 02:16:56 AM »

That means that Alerts are not being sent.

Have you configured your SMTP settings in ssMonitor?

Do you see "WX ALERT DETECTED" in the Service Debug Information list?

Yes I have it configured as follows:

Server:       smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port:  tried both 465 and 587
User Name: mine@gmail.com
Password:    mypassword
SSl:              SS/TLS required

Should clicking on the TEST button send out a message

I've tried both an email address and the email-text address of my cell.

Send Alert emails is checked.
Min time set to 90 min.

No "WX ALERT DETECTED" in the Service Debug Information list

NADA for alerts..

//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 01:17:26 PM »
Yes I have it configured as follows:

Server:       smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port:  tried both 465 and 587
User Name: mine@gmail.com
Password:    mypassword
SSl:              SS/TLS required

Let me get back to you on that.  IIRC, Gmail uses some bizarre SMTP settings, so I will have to test it on this end.

Should clicking on the TEST button send out a message

Yes, but SkySpyService will wait until the next SDP packet from the Gateway to do the "test" send.  You will see something like "Test message sent" in the Debug panel of ssService when it finally goes out.  This could take up to 4 minutes, depending on where you are in the SDP cycle.

I've tried both an email address and the email-text address of my cell.

Send Alert emails is checked.
Min time set to 90 min.

I am beginning to think that there is a problem with the installer.  It may not be writing an "email template" file somewhere SkySpyService can find it.  Alerts work OK for me, but I  typically don't use the installer.

No "WX ALERT DETECTED" in the Service Debug Information list

NADA for alerts..

If you don't see WX ALERT DETECTED in ssMonitor, then you don't have weather conditions that trigger an alarm.  Set your minimum indoor temp to something like 90F and you should get consistent alarms - unless your AC is on the fritz  :lol:

For debugging purposes: ssMonitor should say "Sending Alert Email", followed shortly by "Send Thread Term".  If it never says "Send Thread Term", then there was a problem connecting with or sending the Email.  It could be that missing file I mentioned, bad SMTP settings, or an invalid Email address.  An invalid email address might still work, but you won't get an actual alert email.

If ssMonitor never displays either message, then you don't have an actual alarm condition or you have "Send Alerts via Email" unchecked in the settings dialog.

I will add some more error messages in the next release to explain the reason for any Email failures.

Best regards,

Kevin

Offline kj5fa

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 10:27:42 PM »
Does anyone else's daily rain amount that is sent to WU seem to top out at 0.36 inches or so? I have only seen daily amounts over this amount a couple of times and I think that was an error I caused. The weather display of the system shows 0.85 currently but WU only has the 0.36. Is this just me?

Thanks,
Kevin M

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »
Does anyone else's daily rain amount that is sent to WU seem to top out at 0.36 inches or so? I have only seen daily amounts over this amount a couple of times and I think that was an error I caused. The weather display of the system shows 0.85 currently but WU only has the 0.36. Is this just me?

Thanks,
Kevin M

Same here.  I have .88 on the display and .35 on WU.

//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2015, 01:58:33 AM »
There is probably a mismatch between what I consider the accumulated rainfall inches and what Wunderground thinks.

As for limiting to some maximum amount... I don't think so.  Mine reads horrendously high, but I do live in a rain forest.

The amount of accumulated rainfall around these parts is probably a bit different than yours :-)

Here in Olympia, WA, we measure annual rainfall in yards, not inches. :-)  I had 4 inches in a day or two, earlier this month - according to WU and my La Crosse console.

40.5" since September last year.  5" just this month.  Yoiks!  That is a bit damp for this California boy!

Anyway,  I will check into it and try to get WU and SkySpy in synch. Something screwy is going on, and it is not a maximum limit.

Offline spork

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2015, 02:05:04 AM »
Here in Olympia, WA, we measure annual rainfall in yards, not inches.

Could you spare a cup or two for those of us in CA?

Offline askme

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »
New here, but very interested.  I am interested in SkySpy to import data into my home automation system.  Is there somewhere I can download the latest version? [edit:scratch that, found the Gamma post from March 5th]

I just picked up TX60U and GW (which I registered already).  I also have another GW, sensor and weather station lying around I have not yet registered.   I saw some notes that more testing might be helpful and I am comfortable with Wireshark.  Anything I can do to help the cause?

/rant I accidentally first registered all my gear under weatherdirect and found it quaint, then re-registered to Lacrosse Alerts and found it was even less capable, and lastly re-registered everything to LaCrosse Alerts Mobile which strips out nearly all functionality./rant

askme
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:44:18 AM by askme »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
New here, but very interested.  I am interested in SkySpy to import data into my home automation system. 

Welcome!

I too have a home automation system - Insteon switches, dimmers and motion detectors all through the house with an ISY-994i running the show.  I can control all of my lights with my Android phone or a web browser.

I am not sure how you would import data into a home automation system though.

I just picked up TX60U and GW (which I registered already).  I also have another GW, sensor and weather station lying around I have not yet registered.   I saw some notes that more testing might be helpful and I am comfortable with Wireshark.  Anything I can do to help the cause?

It is my understanding that the TX60U uses a different data protocol than the C84612. 

The only way to decode the new format would be to do what I did with the C84612:  Record hundreds of hours of webcam video of the console while also recording the TCP/IP traffic from the Gateway using Wireshark.  Then you have to correlate the sensor readings changes in the video with the hexadecimal values in the TCP/IP stream to figure out which bytes and nybbles do what.  Next you have to write a parser for those bytes and nybbles and conversion routines to return the actual sensor reading.

The bottom line is that you need the actual hardware in hand to write a new version of SkySpy.

I am completely out of spare time right now, so I can't be of much help.  :-(

/rant I accidentally first registered all my gear under weatherdirect and found it quaint, then re-registered to Lacrosse Alerts and found it was even less capable, and lastly re-registered everything to LaCrosse Alerts Mobile which strips out nearly all functionality./rant

Yep... It was the horrid La Crosse web site that inspired me to write SkySpy :-)

Wunderground knows how to do things right with PWS.

Best regards,

Kevin

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »
I am not sure how you would import data into a home automation system though.

Slightly OT, but VWS data can be imported into HomeSeer. I'm doing that at home.

Offline askme

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »
Sorry about the OT:  That is what I am trying to do.  Well not really weather, but I have sensors about the house I need to bring into Homeseer e.g. Pool temp, outdoor temp, various humidity readings, etc.  and was hoping to use LaCrosse sensors to do that wirelessly.

How would I do that with VWS?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:21:52 PM by askme »

Offline askme

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

It is my understanding that the TX60U uses a different data protocol than the C84612. 

Ah, like a dagger to the heart.  While I expected different equipment might communicate  with differently wireless protocols, I foolishly assumed all traffic from the GW was normalized to some standard protocol back to their back-end servers. 

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 06:47:47 PM »
I foolishly assumed all traffic from the GW was normalized to some standard protocol back to their back-end servers.

I had high hopes too, but after seeing some Wireshark dumps, it looks like a whole new ballgame on La Crosse models other than the C84612.

I imagine the IIS handshake is pretty much the same, but the SDP (the Sensor Data Packet) is different.  That is the difficult packet to parse.

La Crosse made a difficult (but obviously not impossible) to hack data protocol to ship readings back to their server.  They are in the business to sell server time and want to protect that revenue stream. 

It makes sense that they would further obfuscate by pairing sensors with model-specific Gateways.  That way if one model gets hacked, all of the other ones are still protected. Either that or their GW firmware programmers are clueless :-)

They should have used encryption instead of not-so-secret bit-mapped data formats.

Offline askme

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
Hanlon's Razor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

My guess is that the GW just puts a IP wrapper around the data packets in the IT+.  that is too bad.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2015, 09:03:14 PM »
Kevin,  Any status on rain fall recording to WU?
//
//

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
There is a VWS plugin for Homeseer. Enable that in HS, and then on the config page, point it to wherever your VWS data.csv file is.

I'm running it with a Davis VP2 with 7 extra wireless sensor stations and I have learned a couple of little gotchas.

There is no known mapping of extra station values between what shows up in the csv file and what shows up in Homeseer. You have to figure it out yourself.

And, because of that, apparently, if you have mapped everything and then one station stops transmitting, another station's value shows up in its spot. Whenever the VP2 console can't receive the temp/hum station down in the canyon bottom for a while, HS puts the greenhouse temperature in the spa temp spot. Luckily, I'm not doing any control with that. The App Dig Leopard, SECU16 and a Bobcat temp sensor do spa control.

Ah, like a dagger to the heart.  While I expected different equipment might communicate  with differently wireless protocols, I foolishly assumed all traffic from the GW was normalized to some standard protocol back to their back-end servers.

Offline egoh

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
skydvrz, Amazing work on this program! I'm also seeing some strange rain readings. I'm not sure what's happening, but after .09" of rain this morning, this is a screen shot of the measurements. This isn't supposed to be decreasing, correct?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
skydvrz, Amazing work on this program!

Thanks!

Rainfall is measured using a sliding 24-hour window, so the "total rain fall" is actually the total-rain-in-last-24-hours as of the sample time.  So...  Yes, it can decrease or increase depending on weather conditions.

It would always increase if I reset at midnight, but then you'd see it reset back to zero then and start increasing again in the early morning (if it were still raining).

I am looking at changing the rainfall algorithm for Weather Underground updates, since my algorithm appears to differ from theirs.

I get a lot of rain here in the Pacific Northwest, so rain in 24 hours is more important to me than rain today.   In this neck of the woods, huge trees start to tip over when there is sustained too much rain in 24 hours.  In my case, yesterday's rainfall totals are important too if the soil has not had a chance to drain.

Offline egoh

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »
skydvrz, that sliding 24 hour period makes total sense, however, we didn't have 8" of rain in the past 24 hours. Yesterday was around .50" and today was .09" so far. Is it on a different scale, or perhaps something is amiss?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2015, 01:03:18 PM »
we didn't have 8" of rain in the past 24 hours. Yesterday was around .50" and today was .09" so far. Is it on a different scale, or perhaps something is amiss?

What does your display console say?  The same thing you quoted?

Offline egoh

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2015, 01:05:08 PM »
Correct, It was reporting 0.09" when I initially replied. We've gotten a little more rain so now it's reading 0.12" (on the 24H view).

FYI, this is my wunderground station (which is reporting a higher amount..perhaps because of the algorithm difference): http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXAUSTI551#history/graphs
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:06:50 PM by egoh »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
Correct, It was reporting 0.09" when I initially replied. We've gotten a little more rain so now it's reading 0.12" (on the 24H view).

FYI, this is my wunderground station (which is reporting a higher amount..perhaps because of the algorithm difference): http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXAUSTI551#history/graphs

Ok - now I get it.  Your mini-web site is wrong, but your Wunderground readings look OK.  I will check it out.  The mini-website is mostly a debug tool that I left in. I always check my PWX readings on Wunderground with my Android phone so I haven't looked at the mini-web thing in months  :oops:

Here is my station:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWAOLYMP86

After looking at Wunderground, I think they expect to have a midnight reset on accumulated rainfall.

Offline egoh

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »
Definitely something strange happening with the rain measurements. My display console is measuring 0.91" but Wundergound is only showing 0.32"

Even if the algorithms are different, some of the accumulation isn't reaching Wunderground for some reason. About 0.71" of that rain was from the last couple of hours, so it should be definitely higher at Wundergroud.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Definitely something strange happening with the rain measurements. My display console is measuring 0.91" but Wundergound is only showing 0.32"

Even if the algorithms are different, some of the accumulation isn't reaching Wunderground for some reason. About 0.71" of that rain was from the last couple of hours, so it should be definitely higher at Wundergroud.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Egoh, see messages 78 -  79.  Skydvrz is aware of that issue.  We are all seeing total rainfall topping out before 0.4"
//
//

Offline egoh

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »
I saw those posts, but figured I'd add another data point. Thanks for the clarification, 10ACTony!

Offline StanTX

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2015, 04:57:07 PM »
Hey guys,
 New to the forum but have been playing with data uploading to WU from my LaCrosse C84612 for sometime.  Wanted to check and see if there's been any new updates with SkySpy lately.  It's an awesome piece of software, hope to be able to contribute to it in some way!  Thanks again for all the hard work on this!