Author Topic: SkySpy Software  (Read 36367 times)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
Re: SkySpy Software
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »
Wanted to check and see if there's been any new updates with SkySpy lately.  It's an awesome piece of software, hope to be able to contribute to it in some way!  Thanks again for all the hard work on this!

Thanks, and welcome aboard  :grin:

Here is the most recent SkySpy release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyw2728dhsw9p0g/SkySpyInstall.exe?dl=0

You can check the release date of a given SkySpy installer by right-clicking on the SkySpyInstall.exe file.  Look at the Details tab.  Right now the installer version is 1.1.0.0 and the modify date is 5 March 2015.  The SkySpy executables will be a little older than that.

Lurker note:  if this thread gets longer, go to the newest post (the last one in this forum list) and work backwards looking for download links to the latest SkySpy release.  If/When I make a new release, then the link I mention in this post will no longer work.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2015, 02:03:14 AM »
If/when I make a new release. . . 
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline PDM1964

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
SKYDVRZ

I just wanted say your software is awesome!  Every few months i would google around looking for a way to share my data on Weather Underground and then would resign myself to buying new equipment someday...  But thanks to you the Someday arrived without needing to buy new equipment  :grin:

It only took me a few hours to get everything up and running, and most of that was because of the Firewall...

The only issue I have so far is Email Alerts, I tried both GMAIL and HOTMAIL but neither seems to send.  I get Sending Email in the DEBUG, but never get a thread end?  I saw a few posts back there was a question of a missing file, could this be the case?

I did need to run monitor as ADMIN in order to get the changes to save properly in the .INI

Thanks again!!!  Looking forward to any enhancements.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KUTPLAIN2

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
If/when I make a new release. . . 

My main contract job was not renewed (after 10 years), so I am looking for work right now.  There is another version of SkySpy in the works, but I don't know how long it will take to get back to it.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »
I just wanted say your software is awesome!  Every few months i would google around looking for a way to share my data on Weather Underground and then would resign myself to buying new equipment someday...  But thanks to you the Someday arrived without needing to buy new equipment  :grin:

Thanks!  It was a lot of work, but everyone's appreciation makes it all worthwhile.  I went through the same Google process myself.  I saw a couple messages from people that were having trouble figuring out the C84612 data format.  Since reverse engineering and TCP/IP is something I like doing, I jumped on it, and here we are.

It only took me a few hours to get everything up and running, and most of that was because of the Firewall...

That sums up about 95% of all install issues.   :-)

The only issue I have so far is Email Alerts, I tried both GMAIL and HOTMAIL but neither seems to send.  I get Sending Email in the DEBUG, but never get a thread end?  I saw a few posts back there was a question of a missing file, could this be the case?

Alerts needs some work to make it play nice with the variety of Email servers out there.  Alerts used to work on my old ISP, now that I moved my business domain to another ISP, it no longer works.  It is on my todo list in the next version.  My time is severely limited right now, so I don't know when I will get it fixed.

I did need to run monitor as ADMIN in order to get the changes to save properly in the .INI

I have partially completed a rewrite of big chunks of the Service and Monitor that should fix this once and for all.  The tests went well on the new algorithms, but I haven't integrated them into the two programs just yet.  In the next version, Monitor will tell Service when it wants to update a non-shared INI file.  Service will own the file 100% and do all the reads/writes and pass the results back to Monitor as needed.  This involved writing a language that Service and Monitor use to send commands and values back and forth across your desktop using something called Named Pipes - a lot of work.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KUTPLAIN2

Cool!  Here is mine:

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWAOLYMP86

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
Howdy!  Been using this for a year now or so... awesome.  But yea, I thought it was something broken with my rain gauge and seeing after a 2 inch rain even the other night only showing on wunderground as .36 while the panel showed 1.86 (so the rain gauge is fine).  I then realized I have seen this behavior the last few times we had some decent rains.   So I presume this hasn't been fixed yet? (not seeing any posts).    Also tried downloading the latest version with stmp / alarm support.  So far haven't been able to get it working with Google.  I use another program called SCIT PRO with the gmail configure just the same and that works.

I'm willing to make a small donation to support this great service/app.  Thanks again!

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
Kevin,
Have you tried this on Windows 10.  The service does not start on it's own.  I have to start it manually.  Just letting you know.

T
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2015, 03:04:11 AM »
The latest Win 10 build totally killed SkySpy.  The service is running but nothing ever gets updated.  No error messages displayed.  I hope you have time to look at this.  I'm going to miss WU  and my desktop display.

Tony
//
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2015, 10:06:52 AM »
If the service is running but nothing updates, then I'd start looking at firewall or IP address issues.  Did you check to see if your computer's IP address is the same as the old PC?  You may have to update the proxy address in the GW.  Make sure you use a static IP on your SkySpy box and use that address in the GW proxy setting.

I don't have a Win10 box - it's a bit early for that just yet, since it is still in beta.  Let me know how things go.

There are some rumors going around that Win10 is simply a M$ trick to get all Windows users to buy in to a subscription based operating system.  You get Win10 for free the first time, but you have to agree to automatic updates.  Then comes the monthly subscription - buy it or your updates quit.    It could also come to pass that your OS moves mostly to the Cloud.  In that case, its pay or say goodbye to all your files.

I would not be comfortable with a forced-update business model for Windows, or one where I have to remote in to my Cloud session.  What happens when the dump "Vista2020" or "Son of Win8.0" in our laps during a nightly update - a real stinker, especially when the previous OS version ran just fine.

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
So again today we got over an inch of rain.  Looking at Wundergroup shows only .36.  I have had skyspy monitor running on my desktop last few days and they too shows Rainfall Today of .36.    I check the actual unit itself and it shows the true values.  Wish I knew what changed or why it can't see more than .36 anymore.

Offline msimon360

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
I am having the exact same behaviour. No matter how heavy the rain or what is shown on the display WU only shows .36 inches.

Right now I am having another problem. I have lost my connection somewhere. All that shows up in SkySpy are Get Requests?

I have had SkySpy working for nearly a year and love it.

Offline msimon360

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
I got my station back online. I had to run GAS again. My PC got a new IP after a power outage reset my router.

Now, next time it rains here in Texas (September?) I will try to gather some data on that .36 inch max rainfall issue.

Mark

Offline jflowers

• Meyers Lake Weather
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
I understand the constraints on the inventive author so I hope there are willing others with talents.  I use skyspy on a fairly old but adequate XP Media Center (AMD 3400+ 2.21 GHz with 3 GB memory) and it works very well with one annoying problem.  When it comes time to reset skyspy every few days the service hangs and does not restart. I am notified by wunderground and several hours later get it going again.

When this happens, I cannot "restart" the service via control panel as it remains "started" but does not actually restart.  When I "stop" the service, a message says that it cannot but after a minute or so the status updates to show it is stopped.  It can then be started successfully.

So it looks as if skyspy similarly initiates a stop to kill the server process but then tries to start it again before it is actually stopped.

I would appreciate any guidance or workarounds.

Thank you.

Offline markmanxp

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2015, 11:32:22 AM »
jflowers,

Exactly the same issue and behavior I have been seeing now for a while!   The emails from Wunderground notifying me that they haven't received an update in a few hours is usually what alerts me to this.    This issue and the precip never showing more than 0.36 inches during a large rain event (panel itself does reflect actual amt even when more than 0.36) has really been making this no longer a hand-offs off process.   Guess I could go back to La Crosse's server but really don't want to.

Offline jflowers

• Meyers Lake Weather
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
Some more info.  I wasn't able to start the skyspy service in safe mode so rather than chase that I just restarted the machine without the larger programs (a dozen chrome tabs, WiRNS, and a bunch of others).  I'll have to wait for the service to restart itself but manual service start, stop and restart all seem to work correctly.  There is now a computer beep during restart and the monitor shows both the "shutting down" and "service startup messages.  May be just a matter of slow computer response.

The above turned out to be optimistic.  After putting back in service the XP would still not survive the auto-restart every so often.  I finally solved my problem by using a batch file daily with Scheduled Tasks to stop, then start SkySpyService.exe.  Also found that my Scheduled Tasks wasn't working but found an Internet post that told me how to fix that by running "Add Scheduled Task" after removing the corresponding file in  the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18" folder.

For those still wanting to use XP here is my batch file:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\bin\RestartSpySkyService.bat

----------------------------------------------------------------
@ECHO OFF

rem RestartSpySkyService.bat
rem bat file to stop restart SkySpy Service
rem run daily at 6am as scheduled task

c:\windows\system32\net.exe stop "SkySpy Server Service" >NUL && c:\windows\system32\net.exe start "SkySpy Server Service" >NUL

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also tried a time delay between stop and start but found it was not needed.  Has worked for several weeks without a problem and Wunderground is happy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:13:46 PM by jflowers »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
Wanted to check and see if there's been any new updates with SkySpy lately.  It's an awesome piece of software, hope to be able to contribute to it in some way!  Thanks again for all the hard work on this!

Thanks, and welcome aboard  :D

Here is the most recent SkySpy release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyw2728dhsw9p0g/SkySpyInstall.exe?dl=0

You can check the release date of a given SkySpy installer by right-clicking on the SkySpyInstall.exe file.  Look at the Details tab.  Right now the installer version is 1.1.0.0 and the modify date is 5 March 2015.  The SkySpy executables will be a little older than that.

Lurker note:  if this thread gets longer, go to the newest post (the last one in this forum list) and work backwards looking for download links to the latest SkySpy release.  If/When I make a new release, then the link I mention in this post will no longer work.

I'd like to make a suggestion that will make it easier for everyone watching this thread for new updates to your software. Use the very first post in the thread to announce new updates and current links to your software downloads. That way, folks won't have to hunt through pages of posts to find the latest release. You can always post a new reply to the thread that announces a new release but, be certain to update/revise the first post with current release info in it. Many developers on the WXFORUM use this technique and it really speeds-up the process of finding the latest version.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline flamand

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2015, 03:35:28 PM »
10ACTony (or anyone)...have you found a way to make this work on Win 10 yet?

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2015, 03:04:57 AM »
It is now working under the RTM version of Win 10.  Great now if only we could get the email and rainfall working correctly.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:16:44 PM by 10ACTony »
//
//

Offline flamand

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2015, 10:34:25 PM »
Congratulations. Did it "just work"? When I try on my Win 10 machine it just sits there.

I loaded Win7 on an old laptop and when I get it going, Wunderground keeps saying I have a bad password. The password works fine logging into the website, but not in SS. Data is streaming locally, just not to Wunderground. Here's the screen cap, if you have any ideas.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:05 PM »
I removed the version that wasn't running and reinstalled.  Quick monitor and restarted with run as administrator.  Set all settings,  saved settings and it worked.   Tried the same with the previous build and it just sat there doing nothing. Try it that way.
//
//

Offline flamand

« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »
I removed the version that wasn't running and reinstalled.  Quick monitor and restarted with run as administrator.  Set all settings,  saved settings and it worked.   Tried the same with the previous build and it just sat there doing nothing. Try it that way.

Thanks. It's now working for me too! It looks like the problem was in the firewall again.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
Hi guys!

I thought I would poke my head in the door and take a look around.  :grin:

I am doing software design contract work here in Kissimmee Florida - a long way from Olympia, WA and my weather station hardware. I haven't forgotten about ya. 

Fire away if you have questions, but my programming time is pretty well booked solid for the next few months.

Offline jflowers

• Meyers Lake Weather
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
XP periodic auto-restart problem solved

Anyone with this problem might want to check out post #114 that I modified to document a solution that worked for me.  YMMV.

The only problem I still have from operating 100% is the ceiling on the amount of rain that is passed on when 0.36 in. is exceeded that everyone seems to be experiencing.

Offline gpiveta

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »
Please u software works in apple like mac os???
and ..  if i install in windows the pc have to stay on always??

tks

Gus

Offline jflowers

• Meyers Lake Weather
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
Skyspy software is specific to Windows PCs and yes, to be useful the PC should be on all the time with a 24x7 Internet connection.  A low power PC with minimal memory is all that is required.  Costs me about 15 cents a day for my XP.