Author Topic: VP2 tipping spoon raingauge?  (Read 33257 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: VP2 tipping spoon raingauge?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2018, 05:19:21 PM »
Well considering this was raised by a VP2 sold in Australia then the QA has failed somewhere if it's not supposed to be mainstream yet?   

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
Hmmm... Are you sure?

Yes.

Great, thank you for that. It is confirmed then as you have equalled everything below Acurite, I'm sure Davis people lump and equal everything below them also. Therefore Acurite = Ambient. Not that I care as I have said before, I have no horse in this race. I'm still waiting for the right product to show up for sale. Right now my bet is on Davis finally pulling through after a long delay.

Anyway back to the main topic...

I know that there are several Davis owners with more than one ISS. Once this new tipping spoon becomes available it would be neat to see some comparison test data done by someone. Even if not totally being worthy of being called scientific, I think it would make for interesting and worthy information.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:42:39 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
Hmmm... Are you sure?

Yes.

Great, thank you for that. It is confirmed then as you have equalled everything below Acurite, I'm sure Davis people lump and equal everything below them also. Therefore Acurite = Ambient. Not that I care as I have said before, I have no horse in this race. I'm still waiting for the right product to show up for sale. Right now my bet is on Davis finally pulling through after a long delay.

It is confirmed you haven't looked at how many stations are constructed.   :roll:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
Issue with the single spoon it can get easily overwhelmed holding the spoon down longer, not sure if that's addressed with the dual spoon being first I've heard of it.
Would be interesting in stand alone version only. I'll never mount a gauge high again but do realize not everyone wants weather instruments strewn all over the place.  :lol:

Hard to beat Rainwise RAINEW-111 stand alone IMO.

Randy

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
Just one man's opinion:

OUTSIDE
• With the SHT31 production life in question; what NEW sensor(s)?
• Single Temp sensor and separate RH sensor?
• Change to industry-standardized sensor communication bus (sw or hw change)?
• Much easier access/replacement of FARS NiMH batteries!
• Upgraded, LONGER-life, FARS fan (DC normal; AC optional)

INSIDE
• Meld VUE and VP2 console capabilities or incorporate VP2 functions into VUE console.
• Consider COLOR display screen?
• Conform VP2 console to CWOP-expected ALT barometer format output.
• New 'stripped-down' VUE console for wall-mount (display only) that receives WiFi input from master VUE console.
• Consider WiFi-Logger direct to IP capability?
• Consider wetbulb temperature calculation addition into display

You asked...

TOPIC - "Back to your regular-scheduled transmissions."

Agreed with all the suggestions here.

But as much as a VP3 sounds like an imperative given the age of the VP2, I'd be happy with the existing product line so long as Davis was willing to fix broken stuff and leave what's working alone. Going new invariable creates a bunch of new problems and probably introduces a raft of counter-productive features (like WiFi-only ISS, cloud-only data, crappy documentation, etc). Technology industry trends are not going in a positive direction for DIY-ers and a new product would have to concede to the CURRENT marketplace, in one form or another, where people, including skilled professionals, don't fix things, read things or want to deal with details. They want it dead simple (so simple, oftentimes, it doesn't even work! Not much simpler than that!).

I, too, am curious about this new spoon design as I've been having issues recently with my 5 yr old tipping bucket (repeated ~30% errors even though everything appears in working order and does work perfectly *sometimes* for no reason related to the usual suspects: wind, debris, leveling, shadowing, etc). If this were an improvement, I could see picking one up in the spring. 
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »
Just one man's opinion:

OUTSIDE
• With the SHT31 production life in question; what NEW sensor(s)?
• Single Temp sensor and separate RH sensor?
• Change to industry-standardized sensor communication bus (sw or hw change)?
• Much easier access/replacement of FARS NiMH batteries!
• Upgraded, LONGER-life, FARS fan (DC normal; AC optional)

INSIDE
• Meld VUE and VP2 console capabilities or incorporate VP2 functions into VUE console.
• Consider COLOR display screen?
• Conform VP2 console to CWOP-expected ALT barometer format output.
• New 'stripped-down' VUE console for wall-mount (display only) that receives WiFi input from master VUE console.
• Consider WiFi-Logger direct to IP capability?
• Consider wetbulb temperature calculation addition into display

You asked...

TOPIC - "Back to your regular-scheduled transmissions."
I'd be happy with the existing product line so long as Davis was willing to fix broken stuff and leave what's working alone.
No COLOR display!! Anarchy! Heresy! Blasphemy! =;

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
Issue with the single spoon it can get easily overwhelmed holding the spoon down longer, not sure if that's addressed with the dual spoon being first I've heard of it.
Would be interesting in stand alone version only. I'll never mount a gauge high again but do realize not everyone wants weather instruments strewn all over the place.  :lol:

Hard to beat Rainwise RAINEW-111 stand alone IMO.

I agree with Randy on that. The RainWise gauge is a great investment. Might have to calibrate it once, but after you do, it works like a charm and matches well with CoCoRaHS gauge.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »
I bought one of these little toys.  It uses a tipping spoon and seems to match up well with my Davis Vantage Pro

https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Precision-Self-emptying-Collector-Temperature/dp/B0791B6B48

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:26 PM »
I bought one of these little toys.  It uses a tipping spoon and seems to match up well with my Davis Vantage Pro

https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Precision-Self-emptying-Collector-Temperature/dp/B0791B6B48

That is a Fine Offset clone. Same rain gauge in the new Ambient Weather stations (WS-2902A and WS-2000). Good to hear that it tracks right along with Davis. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:07:28 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »
If anybody is going to get serious with new designs then maybe time to go all ultrasonic, no mechanical flip/flops or spinning anything, It is out there but what many probably mean is they want the top shelf that does it all at a cheap rate. 

....New 'stripped-down' VUE console for wall-mount (display only) that receives WiFi input from master VUE console.
Some would call that a Weather Echo, old part #'s 7602 & 7603, was good thing in its day, maybe all this was old will be new again?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
Maybe Davis has their own Area 51?   ;)

I needed to call Davis Support yesterday on an issue with my VP2 rain tipping and they are sending new tipping parts and metric adapter.  I asked support whether the new tipping spoon might be a better solution and he said the tipping spoon is only available for the Vue.  When I mentioned about the tipping spoon for VP2 as discussed here he said he had not been made aware and is just going to send the replacements parts for the original VP2 tipper.  I guess the new VP2 tipping spoon info hasn't gone through the Davis knowledge stream.

Enjoy,
Paul
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
For those that have the new Davis gauge, how does it compare to the CoCoRaHS?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
No good news  :-|

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:17 AM »
No good news  :-|

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Maybe they are dealing with unexpected problems.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2019, 08:25:56 AM »
I think that is not technicals but commercial problems, a lot of international distributor need to empty their warehouses before to buy new versions
Davis do not cooperate with dealer to upgrade of older stock, this is my opinion

Mauro

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
I think that is not technicals but commercial problems, a lot of international distributor need to empty their warehouses before to buy new versions
Davis do not cooperate with dealer to upgrade of older stock, this is my opinion

No, that's not how it works. There will be no upgrade of older stock - it's up to dealers to manage their existing inventory.

Davis will switch production when they are ready and new orders from dealers will then be filled with the next production batch (bearing in mind also that significant levels of buffer stock are held at the factory so even new orders from dealers can sometimes be filled with a previous station version - though this can often just be a pretty minor difference).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:51:59 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
I would like to "...SEE THE DATA..." that this 'new & improved' raingauge is actually '...improved."

I suspect you're not alone. But really the only sort of convincing evidence would come from a properly organised trial ideally across a range of geographically dispersed sites over several months' of data and at sites where there was also a good eg CoCoRaHS record maintained simultaneously. And that sort of trial is not easy to organise.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »
From the pictures I've seen, Davis has a whole roof-top "sea" of test stations in operation -- granted not a world-wide location -- which must've provided enough data to convince them enough to move from 'engineering tests' to limited (Australia?) production.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:36:45 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2019, 01:06:07 PM »
From the pictures I've seen, Davis has a whole roof-top "sea" of test stations in operation -- granted not a world-wide location -- which must've provided enough data to convince them enough to move from 'engineering tests' to limited (Australia?) production.

Yes, there are apparently a whole batch of the new rain gauges on test up there. But there's no 'limited' production as yet, except in the sense of a pilot batch intended for testing but a few of which AIUI inadvertently got shipped to Australia. But main production has yet to start as far as I'm aware.

But the point I was making is that no manufacturer will presumably introduce an updated product without some internal evidence to support its benefits. But what most people will inevitably want to see is some properly extensive and documented independent testing, eg of the sort that Stephen Burt has done for Davis products here in the UK. Unfortunately comparable testing elsewhere seems rarely to be reported.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline graculus

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
Does Davis still have field beta testers? Some years ago I remember there was a guy living not far from me who was getting their new stuff to test.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
Sorry if Offtopic, we (team meteocampoo.es meteomerindades.es ) found a easy and small solution to prevent rain gauge obstruction, it works in all Davis versions VP1 VP2 and Vue, also fit down plastic filters with bayonette and without.

No more words see it in video
https://youtu.be/9tKqLaLvZj8

Bonus trick idea after many money changing batteries are magic tag word LiFePo4 no more words the investigation it's free...

P.d. We have many Davis stations... Can see in our websites

Www.meteocampoo.es
Www.meteomerindades.es
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:35:30 AM by EA1EF »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »
Is there any studies with real data showing this new spoon is more accurate ?

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2019, 05:36:51 PM »
Scaled Instruments has the VP2 Tipping Spoon now. I just ordered one.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7345-425-single-spoon-tipping-bucket-rain-collector-assembly-inches/

Greg H.

Hm. I might actually buy this, as it's backwards compatible with my base. Yesterday it was the 2nd or 3rd time that the rain sensor went crazy and I had 3 inches/hour rain rate for like 10-15 minutes without actual rainfall (I had to fix it in the database). My guess it was the infamous stuck-in-the-middle problem with the tipping buckets.