Author Topic: Davis VP2/Vue/Envoy Serial cable prototype interest thread  (Read 36846 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Davis VP2/Vue/Envoy Serial cable prototype interest thread
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
I have a board design in hand for a straight serial interface and cable (no logger memory) for VPs, VP2s, Vues, and Envoys. Right now I'm looking at the quote from the board house, and pricing out the bill of materials to assemble it.

Please PM or email me if you are interested in testing this new cable for me.

Chris

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
Re: Davis VP2/Vue/Envoy Serial cable prototype interest thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »
I have a board design in hand for a straight serial interface and cable (no logger memory) for VPs, VP2s, Vues, and Envoys.

I think putting logger memory on it would be pretty straightforward, assuming your design would use the full 20 pin connector to the back of the console.  Worth considering for the extra dollar in parts.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
I think adding logger memory is probably the way to incur Davis' ire faster...

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
My logger was "clogged", the first year I had it.  Didnt even know until I tried to troubleshoot something using WL.  I guess since I was 24/7 using WD with only short downtimes I didnt even noticed it was "only" doing real time.  So a straight through cable would have been fine for me.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
About how much will yours cost?   :-)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »
About how much will yours cost?   :-)

I don't yet know for sure. I'll probably order parts this week, and build a couple of test units when the parts arrive. There are still some unknowns, such as PC board cost, which depends on how many I order.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »
Have you designed the board yet?  What size is the board?  I assume 1 or 2 layers.  I use ExpessPCB for small projects or design/etch my own with the old Winboard/Windraft or Eagle.
I think the Davis logger is a bargain. 
ExpressPCB has a miniboard service that is fast and reasonable.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
Have you designed the board yet?  What size is the board?  I assume 1 or 2 layers.  I use ExpessPCB for small projects or design/etch my own with the old Winboard/Windraft or Eagle.
I think the Davis logger is a bargain.  
ExpressPCB has a miniboard service that is fast and reasonable.

Designed by my board guy, single layer, and I vetted the traces twice against a couple of sources (the chip data sheet and another 3.3v-RS232 converter I tested).

I dunno what program he used. I have a quote in hand from Advanced Circuits for the board, and a BOM for Digi-key for the parts.

It's a little smaller in each direction than the Davis unit to allow for potting.

Having been through this process, I agree with you. The Davis logger with software is a bargain. They put a lot of thought into it, including the molded enclosure, the grab knob for removal, and even the hole drilled through the knob that you can hook with a wire or paper clip if you have to.

The mold for the potting probably cost thousands to make.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:57:36 PM by SLOweather »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
I have received the parts to produce 20 boards. 100 boards were ordered last Thursday from the board house, and are slated to ship from CO to CA today. I hope to receive the boards sometime later this week.

Upon receipt, I'll build up one unit for my immediate testing, and then a few more to distribute at cost to the original respondents for their testing. After that, we'll see about opening up to sales.

If you sent me an email or PM regarding this thread, I'll get back to you regarding cost and shipping as soon as I'm comfortable that the device functions properly in my testing.

Offline vellecadp

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »
I have received the parts to produce 20 boards. 100 boards were ordered last Thursday from the board house, and are slated to ship from CO to CA today. I hope to receive the boards sometime later this week.

Upon receipt, I'll build up one unit for my immediate testing, and then a few more to distribute at cost to the original respondents for their testing. After that, we'll see about opening up to sales.

If you sent me an email or PM regarding this thread, I'll get back to you regarding cost and shipping as soon as I'm comfortable that the device functions properly in my testing.

I am interested in looking at this option as my protype did not work - How much ball park are you looking at for cost of this unit?

Dennis

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
Chris, what advantages does this cable give us over the logger cable?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
Chris, what advantages does this cable give us over the logger cable?

It will be cheaper, at the cost of not having archive memory.

I'm doing it mainly for my WeatherElement project, (just added another site this morning!), but, since there's always a clamor here for something cheaper than the WeatherLink logger, I'm planning on selling them to others as well.

Offline Shane8813

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
I hope that I am one of the Lucky Members who will have an opportunity to purchase one of these units. I do not have the tools and was not blessed with the intelligence to work on such sophistication. Although I wish everyday I had what it took cause it is very intriguing. Thanks Again for all your member's help. I just hope I can be patient enough to wait. Please let me know how everything works out and after all the headaches and you will still want to sell one.   

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
UPDATE:

After assembling a few boards that didn't work, I've traced the problem to transposed T and R lines from the header connector to the chip. A modified board works, so my board guy is working on a modified design. After I receive and test those, we should be good to go.

Offline vellecadp

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Appreciate your hard work!!

Dennis

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
Woo hoo! The rev 2 boards arrived yesterday, and I built up the first one for testing this morning. It works! I'll be building up a few more today to get the hang of assembly and try out one cable enhancement we added.

Unfortunately, this weekend is consumed with prep for a celebration on Sunday, so I won't start responding to those interested in beta testing until early next week.

Offline vellecadp

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
Woo hoo! The rev 2 boards arrived yesterday, and I built up the first one for testing this morning. It works! I'll be building up a few more today to get the hang of assembly and try out one cable enhancement we added.

Unfortunately, this weekend is consumed with prep for a celebration on Sunday, so I won't start responding to those interested in beta testing until early next week.

Fantastic!   \:D/ As soon as you figure out costs and shipping arrangements, please advise.  Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

Dennis

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Here's one installed in one of the VP2 consoles I use for development. It's attached to a 25' cable.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:13:44 PM by SLOweather »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I was occupied with our wedding anniversary last weekend. :)

I've hashed out a connector issue, and ordered cables and DB-9s. I plan on building up a few this weekend for the testers.

Offline Shane8813

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »
SLO Does that mean some of the less fortunate that lack the ability to build our own will soon have the opportunity to purchase a serial cable from you?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 01:14:58 PM »
SLO Does that mean some of the less fortunate that lack the ability to build our own will soon have the opportunity to purchase a serial cable from you?

Yup! I have 9 built up to sell to testers.

I have PMs from 130db, DanITman, gulfcoast and vince7 indicating interest, so I have a few more to send out.

If you are interested, please post here and I'll PM you the ordering web page.

In order to maximize my efforts, please list what station type you have (Vantage Pro, Pro 2, Vue, or Envoy), and what software or hardware you are connecting to.

If you can test multiple programs, even better!

I'd like to get a variety of test sites before opening up sales to everyone.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:14:08 PM by SLOweather »

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:06 PM »
A technical question for everyone purchasing one.   What is the best method for safely removing the plug-in board from the console if it should be necessary without destroying the board?  The Davis Weatherlinks have that little projection on their potting that can be grabbed to pull it out.  I don't see anything like that on yours so you must have worked out another method in your testing to unplug it.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »
A technical question for everyone purchasing one.   What is the best method for safely removing the plug-in board from the console if it should be necessary without destroying the board?  The Davis Weatherlinks have that little projection on their potting that can be grabbed to pull it out.  I don't see anything like that on yours so you must have worked out another method in your testing to unplug it.

The 3 pin right angle connector on the board works OK as a handle. That's how I pull them out after testing. Actually, it's best to plug the cable into the board and then the board into the expansion port, so the cable plugs helps as a handle.

It's not obvious in the picture, but the 3 pin header on the board is actually bent up about 30 degrees to match the cable exit angle to the notch in the console.

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:24:08 PM »
Wish I could use one with an Envoy, but I need data logging for sure....  my bad luck.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 01:25:34 PM »
The first two were sent out USPS yesterday afternoon.

I still have a few for sale for testing.

anything