Author Topic: Vantage Vue - Data logger communicates but says "No new data to download"  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Wirrunna

Vantage Vue D100923A100, USB Data Logger C00719Q63 purchased Jan 2011

Data logger communicates with Weatherlink and Cumulus but will not download , comes up with "No new data to download."

I have followed instructions here https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/errors-with-archive-downloads but to no avail.

The last time it came loose I just plugged the logger back in without removing the console batteries, I know now that is a supreme No No.

Is there a way of clearing the data such as shorting pins on the logger or is it caput ?

On power up with the data logger installed the console gives 3 beeps.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Vantage Vue - Data logger communicates but says "No new data to download"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:42:51 AM »
No new data can indicate the console/logger has lost contact with the ISS for some reason. Logger is still communicating thru the console but no data coming thru from the ISS

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:44:44 AM »
No new data can indicate the console/logger has lost contact with the ISS for some reason. Logger is still communicating thru the console but no data coming thru from the ISS

Not true I'm afraid. If the only issue is that there's no reception of ISS data at the console then the logger will continue to create new records at the scheduled times containing inside data but obviously with blank outside data.

To the OP: There is clearly a logger issue if you're only getting 3 beeps with a Vue and not 4. All power off and make sure that the logger is fully home on its pins (probably worth checking the pins in good light before attempting to re-mate the logger to ensure that there's not a bent pin). Sometimes the logger can need quite firm pressure to get it fully home on its pins. The alternative can also happen occasionally - the logger is too loose on its pins, when it will need holding in place with eg foam plastic applied inside the battery cover.

But if you get to the position where you're sure that the logger is correctly located but still only 3 beeps then then I'm afraid it sounds like the logger is dead and little more than you can do.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:02:13 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
It's worth re-checking that the date and time are synchronized between the PC and the console.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:30:01 AM »
It's worth re-checking that the date and time are synchronized between the PC and the console.

Hmm, always worth checking date/time in this sort of situation, but only 3 beeps (for a Vue) is a clear sign that something more fundamental is amiss - hopefully just a loose logger.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »
Yes, the instruction manual plainly says:
"On power up, the console displays all the LCD segments and beeps three times
(four times if you have a data logger plugged in)."

Offline Wirrunna

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
johnd and dalecoy, thank you for the replies.
When I read about the 3 beep on power up I thought "there we go, get a new one."

I have carefully inspected the male and female socket that the logger plugs into and they do not have any bent pins, the logger seats correctly. I have reloaded Weatherlink from the CD on a Win 8.1 box and same problem, real time data displayed, archive data not downloaded.

The manual sums it up -
 5.6. Archive download errors

Symptom: Real-time data is passing successfully from logger to computer, but attempts to download archive data are failing, either partially or completely.

Background: Davis loggers can all generate two quite distinct types of data: real-time data (sometimes called Loop data) and archive data.

The manual goes on to say -
5. No solution can be found

If even clearing the logger fails to fix the problem then this could be one of the rare instances where the logger has become faulty.

Before I ordered a new logger I wanted to check with the brains trust on the forum, done that, new logger ordered.

anything