Author Topic: Ventus 266 Weather Station w/Lightning Detection  (Read 14057 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Ventus 266 Weather Station w/Lightning Detection
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
This Ventus outfit in the UK has a weather station that includes lightning detection. I spotted it on eBay.

=868&cHash=27bfecca26eaab61b682f462961dcbd1]http://www.ventusdesign.com/products/products-weatherstations/?tx_hmrventus_pi1[product]=868&cHash=27bfecca26eaab61b682f462961dcbd1

Here is the display as shown on Weather Spares website. Quite a bit of the display is dedicated to lightning.

I am wondering if they might have used the AMS AS3935 chip for the lightning detection.

Greg

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:15:21 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
Re: Ventus 266 Weather Station w/Lightning Detection
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:51:18 PM »
Give me a week and I will tell you - I supply them in the UK :)

I suspect the answer will be yes as it's housed in the outdoor sensor suite which is quite a slim unit.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:22:16 PM »
Thanks for the response. I'll look forward to your findings.
That is a very impressive display by the way.  8-)

Greg

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »
I also run a Blitzortung station here in the UK - much like yourself.

We had some local strikes from a heavy shower about 5 miles away which both detected by both systems - the 266 was accurate to within a mile of the Blitz lightning network which I thought was impressive for a non-triangulated detector.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »

We had some local strikes from a heavy shower about 5 miles away which both detected by both systems - the 266 was accurate to within a mile of the Blitz lightning network which I thought was impressive for a non-triangulated detector.

I remember your response to my post about the window comparator mod I made to my Green 6.8USB board. I added an AS3935 to my RED kit, but I have yet to experience close enough lightning to really check it out. I am glad to hear that the Ventus is working well. I made suggestions to both Accu-Rite and Davis (VP3) to add lightning detection. It looks like the Ventus beat them to it. It seems to be a well executed product.

Since you are a dealer, if you are willing to do a tear-down and post photos, I think that it would be of great interest here.

Greg

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »

I remember your response to my post about the window comparator mod I made to my Green 6.8USB board. I added an AS3935 to my RED kit, but I have yet to experience close enough lightning to really check it out. I am glad to hear that the Ventus is working well. I made suggestions to both Accu-Rite and Davis (VP3) to add lightning detection. It looks like the Ventus beat them to it. It seems to be a well executed product.

Since you are a dealer, if you are willing to do a tear-down and post photos, I think that it would be of great interest here.

Greg

Yes, but the way I see it now that Ventus has done it now everyone will try and do it. Davis has a reputation for making good things better  :-)

I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline aeronautico

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Hello. I'm from Portugal and also bought a ventus w266. I have the meteorological station to 3 days. My question is how many symbols have for the weather forecast? 5 or 6? When I turn the station all symbols flash on the screen including snow but then that same symbol is not available. Not appear and only 5 symbols appear. Your Weather Station is also well? I would appreciate an answer because I do not know if the meteorological station is still or has some problem softwere.
thank you
Pedro
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:52:52 PM by aeronautico »

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:20:09 PM »
Hi Pedro, I believe that I replied to you via Facebook and Email regarding this :)

To clarify for everyone else, if it's snowing outside when you setup the station you select precipitation as rain and the Ventus will realise that it's snow doe to the external low temperature.

Offline aeronautico

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Hello. Yes replied me on facebook and I appreciate that.
Best regards

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:33 AM »
Sorry for the delay in this.

The outdoor sensor unit is quite tight for space, but tucked away in the bottom corner is the lightning detection, which very much looks like the AMS unit. I wasn't able to remove the PCB completely without causing damage, but here's the best pic I could get.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
Sorry for the delay in this.

The outdoor sensor unit is quite tight for space, but tucked away in the bottom corner is the lightning detection, which very much looks like the AMS unit. I wasn't able to remove the PCB completely without causing damage, but here's the best pic I could get.

Thanks! Very interesting that it is located in the outdoor sensor unit.

Greg

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
To clarify more precisely it's located at the very bottom of the unit (picture it looking up into it. It also seems that they have removed a section of the PCB to reduce the shielding effect this may have.

It's a shame that they've not taken as much care with the temperature and humid sensors that are analogue and also in the same unit which suffers from slight heating in full sun.

Offline aeronautico

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
Today there were lightnings here. The last was the 27km distance. This is the image of ventus w266.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
Excellent, glad to see it's working well for you :)

Offline aeronautico

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
Yes it is. I hope for more lightning to see how far detects  \:D/

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
aeronautico,

Thanks for posting the photos. I really like the display.

Greg

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;