Author Topic: Atlas Unboxing and Setup  (Read 1673 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Atlas Unboxing and Setup
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
From YouTube...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwL-bjtVCdE[/youtube]

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas Unboxing and Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Nice video for those of us that are still waiting for the UPS truck....
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
Great video ... the Atlas is much larger than I anticipated. What is the general opinion on the advice given in the video for applying auto wax?
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
Great video ... the Atlas is much larger than I anticipated. What is the general opinion on the advice given in the video for applying auto wax?

I've heard of people doing that, but I've never tried it.  I've heard it's also supposed to help prevent ice build-up.

Can't hurt.

Offline Tylerpod

• PWS
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »
Does anyone know what size pole it fits? I have a pole but when I tighten it on it just leans to the south.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »
Does anyone know what size pole it fits? I have a pole but when I tighten it on it just leans to the south.

The pole can range from 3/4" to about 2".  I don't know the official range.

Are you sure you loosened the knob enough so the pole clears the screw before tightening?  (In other words, don't let the screw hang-up on top of the pole.)

Offline Tylerpod

• PWS
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
I had to take my pole down, then mount the Atlas to it, and then put the pole back up. It is working great so far and just ordered the lightning addon from Acurite.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »
Thanks for posting the video. It looks like an interesting station. I especially like the anemometer extension and the remote battery options.

I am too heavily invested in Davis to make any changes, but I have to hand it to the guys at Acu-Rite. The Elite sounds even more interesting...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
Replacing my 5-N-1 with a new Atlas. Right out of the box everything was easy and straight forward to get ready for use. 

Mounting Problem:
I notice my rain readings were off. Because of placement, I’m unable to use/view the leveling bubble.  I mistakenly thought the pole needed to be centered in the mounting hole of the unit. That was a mistake.

Make sure the pole is mounted flush and snug to the unit’s one side designed for it. Hopefully I now have it leveled and that will correct my rain readings.

Access:
Setup was simple and worked right away. All my sensor strength readings are higher than the old SmartHub. Not sure that's comparing apples to apples, but no problems.

HD touchscreen Display:
Love the touchscreen, it works well. Like most of the screens layout.

Hate the rolling 48-hour rain total! I can’t find a way to view just the current days rain total. The history graphs are no help since they are for the last 6 hour or 48-hour periods. Wish it was the current days 24 hour total that reset to 0 at midnight each day.

Weather Underground:
Was able to switch over from the 5-N-1 to the Atlas without any problems. Not getting any Solar readings. When updating the hardware section there were two "AcuRite Pro Weather Center" selections. I picked the first one in the list. Looks like Weather Underground needs to add a hardware selection for the Atlas.

Lightning Detection:
The few lightning strikes that I had last night were not detected because of interference. I still was using the lightning detector from the 5-N-1 which may have caused the interference. I’ll stop using the 5-N-1 detector and see if that clears up my interference with the Atlas.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:34:26 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
Replacing my 5-N-1 with a new Atlas. Right out of the box everything was easy and straight forward to get ready for use. 

Mounting Problem:
I notice my rain readings were off. Because of placement, I’m unable to use/view the leveling bubble.  I mistakenly thought the pole needed to be centered in the mounting hole of the unit. That was a mistake.

Make sure the pole is mounted flush and snug to the unit’s one side designed for it. Hopefully I now have it leveled and that will correct my rain readings.

Access:
Setup was simple and worked right away. All my sensor strength readings are higher than the old SmartHub. Not sure that's comparing apples to apples, but no problems.

HD touchscreen Display:
Love the touchscreen, it works well. Like most of the screens layout.

Hate the rolling 48-hour rain total! I can’t find a way to view just the current days rain total. The history graphs are no help since they are for the last 6 hour or 48-hour periods. Wish it was the current days 24 hour total that reset to 0 at midnight each day.

Weather Underground:
Was able to switch over from the 5-N-1 to the Atlas without any problems. Not getting any Solar readings. When updating the hardware section there were two "AcuRite Pro Weather Center" selections. I picked the first one in the list. Looks like Weather Underground needs to add a hardware selection for the Atlas.

Lightning Detection:
The few lightning strikes that I had last night were not detected because of interference. I still was using the lightning detector from the 5-N-1 which may have caused the interference. I’ll stop using the 5-N-1 detector and see if that clears up my interference with the Atlas.

To view today's rainfall total only - tap the "folder" icon in the lower left corner and you can view today's records and you may also view yesterday's records - including rainfall totals. You can also tap on the rainfall amount on the main screen as well to see the graph if you wish.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
To view today's rainfall total only - tap the "folder" icon in the lower left corner and you can view today's records and you may also view yesterday's records - including rainfall totals. You can also tap on the rainfall amount on the main screen as well to see the graph if you wish.

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I was looking for!

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »

Great reviews! Thanks for posting that up.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

anything