Author Topic: Winter '16-'17  (Read 57792 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Winter '16-'17
« Reply #400 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
We have a winter storm watch for Monday. More for the uncertainty of it all.

We have all determined that naming winter storms is stupid. It won't stick. We should move on.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #401 on: January 14, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Northern Minnesota town got so cold the water tower froze

KENNEDY, Minn. — Residents of Kennedy experienced a brief water outage early Friday due to a freeze-up in their water tower.

Kennedy Mayor Todd Truedson said the town has been able to pull water from the North Kittson Rural Water system to make up for the gap in service from the offline tower. Workers from the rural water system and the city’s maintenance crew were inspecting the tower before noon Friday to determine the extent of the freeze.

“I know they’ve had issues in years past,” said Truedson of the tower, “but when it’s 25 below, it kind of clipped us here. To be honest, the problem is our city doesn’t use enough water.”

Kennedy is about 60 miles north of East Grand Forks, in the northwestern corner of Minnesota.

Truedson said the tower is equipped with a system to keep water moving, but the low volume being drawn through the pipes contributed to the freeze. Crews were trying to figure out how much ice had actually accumulated in the tower. Truedson said the tower is largely empty at the moment.

Kennedy residents would be able to draw from the rural water system through the rest of the winter if the tower is kept offline.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #402 on: January 14, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
we don't have that problem as long as the electrical feed to the water plant keeps the pumps moving.   I bought ice melt compound and have a pair of ice cleats as well, but if I don't have to go out it is a blessing.  ok I do have to take the dog out for a deturding.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #403 on: January 14, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
It was 24F today. Warmest temp in 3 days. 

If you look at the midwest ice storm. It looks like it is slowly moving. Still may cause issues in KC tomorrow morning

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #404 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »
Fortunately, the ice storm here remains largely to be a bust from what it was hyped up to be.   Freezing rain came down last night, but well short of the expected accumulation of .25".  Average ice accumulation was put at  approximately 1/8".   Streets and sidewalks remained wet.  Not much ice had built up on the trees, so they didn't bend much.  No power outages.  Tonight's wave looks more of the same, except the temp may be just barely enough above freezing to help prevent  more ice accumulation.  Anyway, NWS forecast has .1 to .2" more accumulation.  Sunday night will be the last of it when temps will raise above 40 with new rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.  But Oklahoma City TV weathermen expect downpours for Sunday night with amounts going over an inch in Stillwater. We'll see how that hype pans out.

City of Stillwater Emergency Management Agency statement on the ice situation as of 8pm Saturday:

Hey fb friends,
We have visited with law enforcement in the area and there are no reports of any travel problems. A few accidents had occurred but the reason was not weather related. With the heavy rainfall we want to remind you that there is some ponding occurring.

Field Services will have crews on overnight and tomorrow through noon, as a precaution.

SEU is working a small outage. The cause of the outage was not known at the time of this update.

The majority of the moisture we were receiving was in the form of moderate rain. We stopped at several locations and measured the ice accumulations and found that it varied significantly. We did see ice as little as a thin coat to just over a 1/4". We expect the accumulations could grow overnight, but not significantly.

We will report to work in the morning around 4am to check the roads, the weather and update social media. If we begin experiencing problems that are determined to be weather related, we will go in sooner.

Stay safe, drive slow and stay warm. ~em

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:33:06 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »
Hopefully that continue to break up.  Your report is encouraging.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2017, 02:38:19 AM »
then we have this:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2017, 04:13:26 AM »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Things today look much better in Stillwater. All the ice has melted off trees and other plants.  My rain and wind gauges thawed out.    The precipitation amount has, so far, come to 1.17" with as much as an inch more to come through until early Monday morning.  Boomer Lake and other area lakes can use the water.  I was very glad this ice storm didn't get anywhere near as bad as the last bad one back in 2002.

The hardest hit part of the Oklahoma, the northwest, as in Woodward, may disagree that the ice storm was too much based on overblown  media hype.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:31:19 PM by Bunty »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »

Boy, that's a hellofa hook behind his right shoulder.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
This station is having issues

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »
I also wonder how the feels like is calculated, if the wind was 255mph I would assume the feels like to be a bit lower :D

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »

Put the orange beast to work this morning at -25 removing the week end snow. So far 25.5 inches  since first snow and  have 13 inches on the ground. Even tho we have not had any real snow eater  over foot of snow has been sublime away. More snow tonight and tomorrow. Temperatures been raising up the past couple hours.

John
Cena

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #413 on: January 16, 2017, 03:29:14 AM »
Precipitation now as of 2:30 am appears to be mostly over with here from this weekend's mighty storm system.  It amounted to 2.26" in my rain gauge.  It will be interesting to see how much of a dent it makes in the drought, now classified as severe.  About all of Oklahoma got well soaked.  Much of Texas got it, too.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:11:46 AM by Bunty »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »
We have ice, water on ice, rain on ice , ice on ice. No wind much so that is good.  Temperatures are 32 and cloudy so not much is melting.
I have ice cleats so I trotted out, er crunched out to the ISS.   The rain bucket has some water in it,but it is frozen . So  tomorrow when it melts, I get readings there.

It really could be worse if we had wind with this.  My car has a remote start so my windows are cleaned off, the wife will require some chipping away in the morning. 
The city truck came by and dumped some salt on the ice, but.. with the rain .. it has floated down the street.

Weather to be in the 50s later this week, so since not much is moving out there, we are home.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »
Just curious... if you were talking about this winter and you only used "one year", would you say this is winter 2016 or winter 2017?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
Just curious... if you were talking about this winter and you only used "one year", would you say this is winter 2016 or winter 2017?
I think most here (US) would say neither. It's as stated, or otherwise ambiguous.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »

It's Winter 2017.   The  lows during Winter 2016 did not drop to around zero.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #418 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

It's Winter 2017.   The  lows during Winter 2016 did not drop to around zero.
What about in the future? Which 2017 is it, 16-17 or 17-18?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:06 AM »

No matter how you look at it (December-January-February or December 21 - March 21), Winter always spans years. 

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #420 on: January 17, 2017, 05:12:35 AM »
Yes I know, I was only asking because sometimes I had to refer to it just using one year and previously I would always use the year of the first month, i.e. Dec and say this is the winter of 2016. So I was little surprised when I started working at the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute, that everyone used the year of the other two months, i.e. for us now this is winter of 2017.
Obviously you should always try using 2016/2017, but in some cases you have to choose, for example when I was doing some stats from 1961 to 2010, I wasnt sure if I should include Jan and Feb 1961 (the analysis concentrated on seasons, so I had to know which one is winter 1961).

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #421 on: January 17, 2017, 02:23:08 PM »
38 below here this morning. The ole Davis  quit sending data  at 35 below. My OS system still sending data. Guess they have something right over the higher price Davis.

John

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
here is today forecast.

Today

A slight chance of snow before 3pm, then flurries after 3pm. Partly sunny, with a temperature falling to around -33 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -50. Southeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight

Flurries before midnight. Areas of ice fog after midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around -43. Wind chill values as low as -55. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest after midnight.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
Alaska Temperature Extremes.
:  Highest Temperature Last 24 Hours.
:   48 at Annette
:  Lowest Temperature Last 12 Hours.
:  -47 at Shungnak

95 degrees difference between high and low temp

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:42 PM »
Alaska Temperature Extremes.
:  Highest Temperature Last 24 Hours.
:   48 at Annette
:  Lowest Temperature Last 12 Hours.
:  -47 at Shungnak

95 degrees difference between high and low temp

Here we had today abs max 44 and abs min -21, thats "only" 65 degrees difference, but you have to remember Alaska is huge :D 22 times larger than my country :D

anything