Author Topic: Retrieve Data from Atlas  (Read 4136 times)

Offline gnuloco

Retrieve Data from Atlas
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Hello!

Noob here, looking to somehow get the data from my Atlas setup? Looking to use the data (realtime as possible) for a local intranet website.  I do realize that there is a CSV file on the SD card, but is there any other method for collecting this data?

Thank you in advance,

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: Retrieve Data from Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:21:31 PM »
You must be a beta tester as the Atlas doesn't seem to be for sale yet. Don't you get some kind of preferential tech support from Acurite as a beta tester?
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline gnuloco

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
I signed an NDA and installed to specifications. Working well.

I will have to call them I suppose. Will report back if I figure anything out.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
Hello!

Noob here, looking to somehow get the data from my Atlas setup? Looking to use the data (realtime as possible) for a local intranet website.  I do realize that there is a CSV file on the SD card, but is there any other method for collecting this data?

Thank you in advance,

At the moment the best you can do is sniff the data enroute to wunderground.  The wunderground data from the Atlas is unencrypted and sent rapid fire.

Another option would be to use RTL_433 to retrieve data off-the-air, but I'm not aware of anyone who has decoded the data yet.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
this is your data
it is not good that its such a closed system like it is

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »
this is your data
it is not good that its such a closed system like it is

There are two "official" ways to get to your data... from the myAcurite website and from the SD card.

There's nothing to preclude another method of access being added in the future.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
SD card?  Hmmm.... could you use one of those Wifi SD cards that they have form cameras??
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
SD card?  Hmmm.... could you use one of those Wifi SD cards that they have form cameras??

Maybe.  I used to have an Eye-Fi SD card, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find it.

One "gotcha", though, is that the 10-second logged data is first held in an internal buffer, then the buffer is dumped to the SD card every 20 minutes, so it wouldn't be exactly "real-time".

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:21:06 PM »
but does the myacurite web site allow you to actually get YOUR data for your own use/logging/analysis ,etc?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:50:33 PM »
but does the myacurite web site allow you to actually get YOUR data for your own use/logging/analysis ,etc?

What other data would they send you?  It's provided as a CSV file.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:46:42 PM »
so you can download the data as a CSV file?
can that be auto?

waiting for the next drip feed of info

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
so you can download the data as a CSV file?
can that be auto?

waiting for the next drip feed of info

Yes, it's a CSV file.

Currently there is no way to automate it on myAcurite's end.  You have to hit the download button and specify the time period you are interested in.  Then a few minutes later they send you an email with a link that downloads the file.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »

You can download 30 days max so you must do this every month if you want the data for personal use.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 11:09:31 PM »
personally I think its terrible how Acuite locks up YOUR data like this
I would be looking at other stations
not sure how anyone can defend how this works

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
personally I think its terrible how Acuite locks up YOUR data like this
I would be looking at other stations
not sure how anyone can defend how this works

What exactly are you talking about?

You can get your data in two different ways.  How is it "locked up"?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 11:28:54 PM »
so you are defending this?
that the only way you can get YOUR data is by manually clicking to get a CSV file?
that is very restrictive

not sure how you can defend that

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
that the only way you can get YOUR data is by manually clicking to get a CSV file?
that is very restrictive

Who said that is the "only way" to get your data?  Remember the SD card mentioned earlier?

And I also said the current methods don't preclude other methods being added in the future.

Your data isn't "locked up".

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
Hello!

Thank you in advance,

At the moment the best you can do is sniff the data enroute to wunderground.  The wunderground data from the Atlas is unencrypted and sent rapid fire.

Another option would be to use RTL_433 to retrieve data off-the-air, but I'm not aware of anyone who has decoded the data yet.

Would it be a good idea for Acurite to give their customers the key to decode this data or are there valid reasons for them to keep it proprietary, and how do other companies like Davis and Ambient handle the data being transmitted from their weather stations?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:08 AM »
since they have a powered hub, why do they not make the real time data available from that (e.g UDP broadcasts)
its YOUR data
it should be made easily available for you to use (i.e having that flexibility/option)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 05:13:23 PM »
Unless Chaney decides to use some stupid strong encryption that will likely mess their system up, it is only a matter of time before the data stream is decoded.  Information yearns to be free!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »
that is very restrictive

Who said that is the "only way" to get your data?  Remember the SD card mentioned earlier?

And I also said the current methods don't preclude other methods being added in the future.

If you want the real time data stream it IS locked up. Refusing to let you access YOUR weather data stream in real time for use in any way that YOU see fit is draconian.
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline KC5JIM

• Senior Contributor
    • KC5JIM Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
that is very restrictive

"There have been some technical changes that will make network interception of the data more difficult, if not impossible.  Data is encrypted going to myAcurite.  Data to wunderground is currently not.  That could always change, though."

Proves to me that the end game for AcuRite is to FORCE people to PAY for access to My AcuRite to get real time access to YOUR data unless you are sitting at home in front of the screen. There is simply no excuse for this behavior by AcuRite, and stating that "It might change in the future" is simply AcuRite fanaticism. It DID change, to the ENCRYPTION that you mentioned. Since they went to the expense to encrypt the data, there is no chance that they will simply decide to throw that away - that is their golden ticket to fleece the consumer.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:48:24 PM by kd7eir »
Ecowitt Wittboy| FOSHKplugin on Pi 4

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
If you want the real time data stream it IS locked up. Refusing to let you access YOUR weather data stream in real time for use in any way that YOU see fit is draconian.

They are definitely one-upping Netatmo, the poster child for un-tappable data streams with consumer-grade sampling intervals.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 07:13:33 PM »
Proves to me that the end game for AcuRite is to FORCE people to PAY for access to My AcuRite to get real time access to YOUR data unless you are sitting at home in front of the screen. There is simply no excuse for this behavior by AcuRite, and spouting off that "It might change in the future" is simply AcuRite fanboisism. It DID change, to the ENCRYPTION that you mentioned. Since they went to the expense to encrypt the data, there is no chance that they will simply decide to throw that away - that is their golden ticket to fleece the consumer.

I mentioned that wunderground data is currently unencrypted but that could eventually change.  How you can interpret that as "AcuRite fanboisism" (sic) is beyond me.

In any case, I'm just describing how things were during the Atlas beta test.  It was not the final product, and it will likely continue to evolve after the initial release.

No one is going to be holding your data "hostage". 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 07:17:46 PM »

They are definitely one-upping Netatmo, the poster child for un-tappable data streams with consumer-grade sampling intervals.....

But isn't encryption the road that everyone seems to be taking nowadays?  Continued gleaning of data from the network just doesn't seem like it's going to be practical in the future as everyone is demanding "privacy".