Author Topic: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information  (Read 100242 times)

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
Re: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #200 on: July 11, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »
I sent them an email and they honored the $140 price they quoted me over the phone.

I was quoted on the phone that my VP2 with 24 hour fan was going to cost $140 to refurb + shipping costs ($30). I just received an email that all repairs are completed and it is now going to cost $200 for the refurb plus the additional $30 for shipping. Am I missing something?

The $200 is consistent with at least posts 17 and 42 in this thread. However, contact Brett Lane, the tech supervisor at Davis, and see what he might be able to do.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
I sent them an email and they honored the $140 price they quoted me over the phone.

I was quoted on the phone that my VP2 with 24 hour fan was going to cost $140 to refurb + shipping costs ($30). I just received an email that all repairs are completed and it is now going to cost $200 for the refurb plus the additional $30 for shipping. Am I missing something?

The $200 is consistent with at least posts 17 and 42 in this thread. However, contact Brett Lane, the tech supervisor at Davis, and see what he might be able to do.

I have come across a company called Scaled Instruments which seems to be a seller of Davis replacement parts.  The prices look good, for future reference.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
I have come across a company called Scaled Instruments which seems to be a seller of Davis replacement parts.  The prices look good, for future reference.

Ryan is a super guy. I, as well as many others on this forum, have done lots of business with him.

Steve

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:57 PM »
I'll just chime in here to share my experience with the Davis refurbish program. My 2-year-old VP2 Plus anemometer would frequently show a North wind direction, and when I had high humidity my station would read 1%. I figured the refurbishing program would be more cost-effective than repairing everything myself. I'll outline what I went through and how long everything took, so everyone can get an idea of what to expect. I'll also provide a bullet-point summary at the bottom for anyone who doesn't want to read all this.

I called Davis on Jan 8 to get an RMA number. I went to the Post Office to ship out my weather station on Jan 9. The lowest I was able to get the shipping was USPS Retail Ground for $73.99 ($59.64 shipping and $14.35 for $1,000 worth of insurance, since I really didn't trust my packaging). The weather station was delivered to Davis on Jan 17 (a day late).

Davis sent me an e-mail stating repairs were done on Jan 25, a Friday. I called them on Jan 28 to give them credit card info (they only take Visa and MasterCard). The total cost for the refurbishment was $200, and $30 for return shipping. They shipped the weather station back on Jan 29, and it was delivered to me yesterday, Feb 5, via FedEx.

The invoice said Davis replaced my temperature/humidity sensor, anemometer, and updated my console firmware. They also did a few things that weren't mentioned. They included new mounting hardware and a new ISS battery. They also replaced my tipping bucket rain gauge, because the chrome was peeling off of that. I'm not sure if they did anything else.

Bullet point summary:
- Cost: $75 to ship to Davis, $200 for refurb (VP2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS), $30 return shipping ($305 total)
- Called Davis on 1/8, sent out on 1/9
- Davis received unit on 1/17, e-mailed me that repairs were completed on 1/25
- Called Davis with credit card info on 1/28, Davis shipped the unit back on 1/29, it was delivered by FedEx 2/5
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2019, 12:16:14 AM »
Does not sound all that economic to me!!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2019, 01:02:00 AM »
No, it certainly wasn't an economical repair. I couldn't figure out how to get everything broken down into a smaller box, so I couldn't cut shipping costs that much. FedEx and UPS were around $80+, and I'm not sure what their deal is with insurance, so it might've even been more. I added all the parts to my shopping cart on Scaled Instruments, and it came out to about $200 after adding shipping, so I think I got a "good" deal. I basically ended up spending $100 to have Davis look over everything and professionally replace all the parts. I'm not too happy that I had all these issues after 2 years, but what are you going to do? For the record, I also have a Vue that's been going strong for probably at least 5 years, with no issues whatsoever. I must just have a dud of a VP2.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline SBWX

« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
Just had my VP2 refurbished. When I called was quoted $140 but when they called they said the refurbish cost is $200. I mentioned that was quoted $140 and stated that I was quoted wrong as not base VP2. With solar/UV and 24hr fan the cost is $200.

Since I also wanted the new rain bucket I asked for it to be provided at no cost and would pay the full $200, which they agreed to.

Davis did a great job  with the refurbish, hooked everything back up and within an hour backup and running and back pumping out to the Web. I shipped out on a Monday, they received Friday and refurbish was completed by following Friday and shipped back to me

Not all that happy with the final costs but not the fault of Davis. Since I am in Canada the cost in CDN funds we’re, $95 to ship to Davis, $370 for refurbish and return shipping and then CDN customs charged $45. The total is the same as I could get a VUE delivered to my home for the same costs.

In the end my 7 year old VP2 is new again and the refurbish is still 1/3 the cost of a new unit and a much better unit than a VUE

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
What did Davis fix or replace ?

Just had my VP2 refurbished. When I called was quoted $140 but when they called they said the refurbish cost is $200. I mentioned that was quoted $140 and stated that I was quoted wrong as not base VP2. With solar/UV and 24hr fan the cost is $200.

Since I also wanted the new rain bucket I asked for it to be provided at no cost and would pay the full $200, which they agreed to.

Davis did a great job  with the refurbish, hooked everything back up and within an hour backup and running and back pumping out to the Web. I shipped out on a Monday, they received Friday and refurbish was completed by following Friday and shipped back to me

Not all that happy with the final costs but not the fault of Davis. Since I am in Canada the cost in CDN funds we’re, $95 to ship to Davis, $370 for refurbish and return shipping and then CDN customs charged $45. The total is the same as I could get a VUE delivered to my home for the same costs.

In the end my 7 year old VP2 is new again and the refurbish is still 1/3 the cost of a new unit and a much better unit than a VUE

Offline SBWX

« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2019, 05:06:00 PM »
They updated the firmware, replaced sim board, solar panel, fan and reed switch. Although it says they replaced reed switch they actually replaced the whole rain base which has tipping bucket and reed switch. So with the new rain cone that I ordered I ended up with a complete new rain system.

The cost to me was worth it as they know what they are doing and test the unit after the refurbish. If I would of tried to repair(rain sensor quit) I would of just replaced the reed switch and installed a new fan. Only to find out later I would have not solved all the issues. I let a pro do it so I could avoid these issues and assured a 100% as new working VP2 Pro

Offline Coolerman

« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
I have been away for a long, long time due to too many irons in the fire... In other words I am working too much!

I have not been monitoring my station for over a year and it had gotten fouled with bird poop and other nasties. I took it down, cleaned it well and remounted it.

Everything worked but the anemometer. It was "sticking" so I  figured it was the bearings.  I did some searching and found that Scaled Instruments has this:  Pro2 Anemometer Wind Speed Cartridge for $16.50. It states it's only for use with the hour glass shaped body not the older straight body. I am not near my station to know which have. I bought it new in 2016 so does anyone know if I have the straight or the hour glass just based on purchase date? Hope someone sees this before I leave work today so I can order it or not.
Davis VP2 Pro Plus w/FARS, CoCoRaHS Station KY-GD-2

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
The 'new' anemometer version was the current version in 2016 so in all probability it is that one. But of course there is stock in the supply chain and it's not impossible that some resellers still had stock of the older version (particularly if it might have been on 'special'). Unfortunately Davis still kept the same 6410 part number for both old and new versions so the only definitive way of telling is to look at it.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Coolerman

« Reply #211 on: May 22, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »
Thank you so much for the response. I will just wait until I can get home to verify which it is.
 [tup]

Offline Coolerman

« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
Verified last night I do indeed have the newer version of the anemometer .
So I  ordered the anemometer cartridge and the new single spoon tipper from Scaled Instruments, and the new rain gauge cone from Weather Shack to get my station updated so it can be put back in service. Now I have to get caught up with a years worth of posts I have missed... 8-)

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »
Beware - I think there are two versions of the "new" waisted anemometers. I have an early one and the replacement cartridge I bought whilst it fits in the main holder, the cups do not have the correct lip to mate properly with the cartridge and provide a reasonable seal.
Mark

Offline JRaz

« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2019, 07:33:25 AM »
Just got my 6163 back. $200.00 + shipping. Replaced 6410, console software,sim board,solar panel,fan,big plates and UV sensor. I'm very satisfied. Basically a new unit after11 years in the Yuma environment.
Davis Pro 2 6163
Weatherlink 6510ser
HP Pavilion 724C

Offline tkrotchko

• Tom's Weather
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2021, 05:22:59 PM »
Folks,

I have all the parts and pieces of my original Davis Vantage Pro that I took down last January, it includes a console, the weather station, and a repeater.

It's probably only good for parts, but if someone wants it, it's yours for the taking.   I live between Washington DC and Baltimore, and if you're nearby you can stop by and it's yours.

PM me and I can give you a phone # and directions.

--Tom

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2021, 08:21:40 PM »
Beware - I think there are two versions of the "new" waisted anemometers. I have an early one and the replacement cartridge I bought whilst it fits in the main holder, the cups do not have the correct lip to mate properly with the cartridge and provide a reasonable seal.
I just replaced my anemometer with one purchased from Scaled Instruments.  It was the new "waisted" version, but the appearance was different.  The magnets were exposed on the old one, but the new one had a sealed cover.  It fit as snugly as the original and works fine.  The bearings in the old one were going bad.

Scaled Instruments even has a video on changing it out.

Offline GHStadium

« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2021, 06:15:02 PM »
I have a Vantage pro, not the pro2 and it's sending signal, X's but my screen is blank, not even dashed lines.  It's only worked a few minutes after our 109 degree day last week, and today it read low console batteries, so I replaced them.  Now the screen is completely blank not even displaying indoor temps.  Not sure what the deal was but the last couple yrs it goes in and out especially on really dark, cloudy or foggy days.  Called the company but person wasn't familiar with the Davis Pro.  Any ideas, suggestions? I did setup, but maybe missing something? 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
Trying pressing the done button for awhile-a minute or so.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline GHStadium

« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2021, 06:32:56 PM »
Of course after finally posting I think it's working, except for humidity.  I forgot I have a capacitor for it, will that maybe fix my intermitant issue?  I've repaired it several times over the yrs, can't remember what I did last.  I don't want to buy a new one it's only 18yrs old. 

Offline GHStadium

« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Thanks, I just did it before your post.