Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless) - sticky anemometer cups  (Read 1397 times)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless) - sticky anemometer cups
« on: July 27, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »
This happens 2-3 times per week through mid-December

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 (Wireless) - sticky anemometer cups
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm thinking you need to put that anny up higher, at least enough to discourage the climb. You'd most likely get better wind data too, obviously dependent on if/how high you raise it.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
CW2274:
The anny was at 20' for the first 9 months after the system was installed. I lowered it at that time so that I can clean it every day during spider season. I decided that I would prefer a less accurate reading rather than no reading. The trees in the background are 30-50 feet away from the station but many are 100+ feet in height. The spiders do not climb up to the station, but they fly down from the trees using a trail of spider web as a rudder. Sometimes when the fog is the right thickness, you can see the web trailing back up to a tree.

Old Tele man:
I am not sure how much good GEICO™ gecko would do for me. There is a rock garden on the ground between the bottom of the 4X4 and the tree line in the background of the photo. It has population of both eastern fence lizards and 5 lined skinks. They are both supposed to prey on spiders but based upon the size of the lizards, there is plenty of food there without having to work real hard to get plenty to eat. The lizards did disappear for 2 summers while a black snake frequented the area.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:18:20 PM »
Try putting Vicks Vapo Rub on the arm to your anemometer near the top end. Cover an area liberally about 3-4 inches long. Insects do not like it. Another thing to use is peppermint oil in a bit of Vaseline.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:21:34 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
CW2274: The spiders do not climb up to the station, but they fly down from the trees
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYoNL4g5Vg

Offline pabloako

• Weather Forum Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:40:06 AM »
I have the same issue here and it is caused by spiders "ballooning" off of near by trees and landing on my Anemometer.
I have found that Vaseline with a tiny amount of Detol disinfectant in it and mixed stops them making a home on the weather station.  I learnt it from someone in Africa when I was on safari.  They use Detol to keep tsetse flies and mozzies away, plus it is nice and clean smelling too!

I have it on the side of the rain gauge and up the shaft of the anonomter.  Works a treat and I give it a quick wipe with a fresh batch every month.