Author Topic: Wanting to monitor wind speed and temp  (Read 5846 times)

Offline easytim

Wanting to monitor wind speed and temp
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:07:36 AM »
I will be living in Florida on an Island, where there is always wind, I want to monitor the wind
and the temp.  It would be cool if I could put it up on a web site and be able to see it with an iPhone App

Mostly need is a good way to measure the wind is needed, Please tell me what is the best way to do this - THANKS  :grin:

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Wanting to monitor wind speed and temp
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:03 AM »
I haven't tried this, but I believe there is a way to connect the inspeed anemometer to WUHU and send that info to the web.  You might want to review WUHU (free software) group at yahoo for further details.  Also, the WUHU software author reads this forum and might chime in on this subject.

Or, you could get a weather station that measures temp/RH/rain, as well as wind.

You will find that you can spend as much as you want to on weather paraphernalia.
But if you can get the data to weather underground (wunderground.com) you can see it on your phone (or computer).

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:36:38 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:03 AM »
Not knowing your budget, if you setup a complete system this would provide you with the needed Internet connectivity. You would use your p.c. or an Internet weather server to get on-line. At the lower end of the cost spectrum here are 2 ideas.  Like Slow Modem mentioned, once you get your data uploading to http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/index.asp you will have your iPhone options.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1180.html
http://www.acurite.com/weather/weather-forecast-stations/8-professional-digital-weather-station-with-weather-ticker-pc-connect-01025.html

oh, welcome to the forum btw!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:55:00 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:03:51 AM »
I didn't notice the 'iphone' notation there.  I know there is an app for WU for android.  I don't know fi there is for iphone or not.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:39:40 AM »
I didn't notice the 'iphone' notation there.  I know there is an app for WU for android.  I don't know fi there is for iphone or not.

I never tried it but I see an iPhone application on your personal weather station page on the top, just above the WU logo.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
Try this:

http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/solar-weather-station.html

Hard to beat for $120 and it includes things the others charge extra for.  Software is included that uploads to a website.  Sensors are solar powered with battery backup.

Looks like Amazon has the same thing listed under a different label for as low as $90

http://www.amazon.com/dr-Tech-Weather-Wireless-Station/dp/B0060MCE1K/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322995259&sr=1-7

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:46:21 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:55:10 PM »
sounds like it will be a rather harsh marine environment
you will need to use good quality instruments if you want them to last
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
First thing, what's your budget? While the WS1080 from Ambient maybe a good choice for the price, the wind updates are really slow. The highest gust reported for the day may not be the actuall highest gust.

Also if I'm correct your area is prone to hurricanes and tropical storms. I don't know of a place that carries replacement parts for those stations if something were to go wrong. If the budget is tight the WS1080 is a good choice.

Davis stations like the Vue and Pro2 have a 2.5 second wind update. Your less likly to miss those phantom wind gusts that come out of noware. WS1080 updates every 40 or so seconds.

Durring those huge storms you guys get over there you might need replacement parts like cups vanes etc. Davis's parts are more durrable. Davis also carries those replacement parts. There are actually a few dealers in Florida that carry them.  Archer Trading in Archer Florida has great prices on their parts and stations.

It's far better to replace individual parts for only a few dollars than to have to replace the whole station for hundreds of dollars. A friend of mine has one of those WS1080's and the cups, vanes, arms, and other parts are somewhat flimsy. As said earlier, the salty marine environment may take a tole on the station.

I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline easytim

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
 I want to be able measure 175 mph wind:)  

A Nightmare Storm made Landfall on Friday- August 13, 2004!  a  CATEGORY 4 ------------- HURRICANE CHARLEY

With winds estimated at 130-135 MPH with higher gusts, this was just 2 miles from where I'm going to be living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd5-uglb-fg&feature=relmfu

I'm starting to think Davis,    Maybe a Davis 6357 Vantage Vue Integrated Sensor Suites, is this a new product on the market?
 thanks for your input about replacement parts (mckTXaws)

I want to thank everyone here for their ideas, keeping an eye on the wind in Florida will keep me busy, I'm sure
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:29:46 PM by easytim »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
I want to be able measure 175 mph wind:) 

A Nightmare Storm made Landfall on Friday- August 13, 2004!  a  CATEGORY 4 ------------- HURRICANE CHARLEY

With winds estimated at 130-135 MPH with higher gusts, this was just 2 miles from where I'm going to be living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd5-uglb-fg&feature=relmfu

I'm starting to think Davis, thanks for your input about replacement parts (mckTXaws)
Your welcome. Yes the Davis takes 175mph winds. Others snap off. Some of those WS1080 stations I've seen with missing cups at 50mph winds. For mounting consider threaded steel. Every 10 Ft guy wires are installed. These are 3 wires to hold the pole in place.
Glad to help.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline easytim

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:53:44 PM »
Can the Davis Instruments 6357 Vantage Vue™ Wireless Integrated Sensor Suite be put on the internet?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 11:54:25 PM »
Can the Davis Instruments 6357 Vantage Vue™ Wireless Integrated Sensor Suite be put on the internet?

Yes, but you have to buy a datalogger that comes with software.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline easytim

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
Ok, I seen this here ----------- WeatherPlug IP Weather Station Server
http://www.rainmanweather.com/site/products/WeatherPlug-IP

Is this a good way to display it also?    I like the idea behind this, but I'm not too sure yet
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:58:29 PM by easytim »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 11:57:35 PM »

Yes, but you have to buy a datalogger that comes with software.

Or build a direct connect.  For a fraction of the price.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline easytim

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »
You got me on that, building a direct connect, I'll do it,  =D>      

Point me in the right direction, I have some skills ](*,)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:12:02 AM by easytim »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline easytim

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
I'm beginning to think, that with all the lightning in Florida, I may not want a cabled weather station. 

Putting a metal pole high on a the roof line is asking for trouble, then having wires going into the house.

Wireless may be the best way, to avoid the lightning problem   

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
You might be able to use a PVC pipe, but it would have to be a larger diameter for strength.

Offline easytim

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
The weather station will act as an antenna if its cabled,  it will have a wire coming from the unit into the house, I think that could be a possible path for lightning. I'm not really sure if lightning becomes an issue with these weather stations, but I can't see how it doesn't.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »
That's why I say use a PVC pipe with a wireless unit.  Solar if possible so you don't have to mess with batteries.

And it still wouldn't hurt to have a ground rod in case the pipe is wet from rain.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »
PVC pipe will be too flexible and PVC generates static.  Heck, anything up ANY kind of pole is going to increase lightning attraction.

Offline easytim

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »
Going wireless isolates the chance of the lightning getting into the house down thru the wiring

anything