Author Topic: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?  (Read 20602 times)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas Lightning Sensor Vs. Stand Alone Lightning Sensor?
« Reply #250 on: November 18, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
I posted part of this in the UV thread as it appears my third Atlas sensor's UV is not reporting correctly. This unit has the UV fix. My second Atlas also did not report UV past 2.

I was instructed to replace the rain bucket from my original Atlas as its UV was working okay. Now, my lightning sensor is not showing up in the third Atlas.

I have removed the batteries and lightning sensor a number of times (and it clicks in). I have rebooted the Access twice.

The Atlas sensor shows up, just without the lightening sensor...everything else works. Wonder if the lightning fix did something to the rain bucket wiring hence the non-fixed one will not work now.

So, I still do not have a properly working Atlas....
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #251 on: November 19, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
A head ache for sure but rest assured they will fix it.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
Thanks...

The lightning sensor is showing up on my panel...just not MyAcuRite. Rebooted and reset the Access many times and left unplugged/without batteries for a good bit of time, removed Atlas several times...no go.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
Someone reported a similar problem a while back.  It turned out to be a glitch on the myAcurite servers.  Support should be able to clear it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
Someone reported a similar problem a while back.  It turned out to be a glitch on the myAcurite servers.  Support should be able to clear it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Their support representative informed me they are doing exactly that with regards to checking their servers. Will update once a solution is found.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Clint1583

« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
Like the original OP on this thread, I also live in the Bay Area (North Bay) and ever since getting my Atlas last week I've had no issues including the lightning sensor problem. Although we haven't had any storms since I installed it (just wildland fire smoke conditions) I haven't had any false readings either. Having read Victoria's comments about the issue being corrected is it safe to say that my unit purchased off Amazon last week has already had the lightning sensor issue corrected before it went out?

With a storm arriving tomorrow supposedly it'll be interesting to see how the unit does.

Offline Clint1583

« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:56 PM »
I may have spoken to soon. 10 minutes after writing the above post I got my first lightning strike which I assume is false. Lot's of high clouds with rain forecast for tomorrow but no obvious reason for a strike. Could unseen electrical activity cause a false reading?   

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:48 PM »

Offline Clint1583

« Reply #258 on: November 20, 2018, 07:04:46 PM »
Exactly!

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #259 on: November 29, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »
I got my replacement ATLAS sensor and it did not record any false lightening for the past 48 hours of hot climate. Thanks to Victoria for initiating replacement sensor to my location (India).

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
I got my replacement ATLAS sensor and it did not record any false lightening for the past 48 hours of hot climate. Thanks to Victoria for initiating replacement sensor to my location (India).

Jumped into conclusion too early. Now the false lightening in sunny days are stopped but numerous increment when it rains without lightening actually.. Seriously lightening detector is complete failure. Today 70 counts when it was raining without single thunder/lightening. ](*,)

And two different rainfall reading in my 2 atlas device with factory default rainfall settings :-(. Anyone tested the lightening issue repaired device when there is rain?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #261 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

Jumped into conclusion too early. Now the false lightening in sunny days are stopped but numerous increment when it rains without lightening actually.. Seriously lightening detector is complete failure. Today 70 counts when it was raining without single thunder/lightening. ](*,)

And two different rainfall reading in my 2 atlas device with factory default rainfall settings :-(. Anyone tested the lightening issue repaired device when there is rain?

Mine works great when it rains. 

If you're having rain, how do you know there isn't any lightning activity nearby?  You won't necessarily see lightning or hear thunder in many cases, particularly if it is distant.

At my Texas location I have 3 different AS3935 based systems.  I also have lighting alerts from a local TV station.  Other than my WeatherFlow AIR, they have all been very consistent with lightning detection.

WeatherFlow recently replaced my AIR.  The strike count seems low compared to my other systems, but it is at least picking up thunderstorm activity now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:07:39 AM by nincehelser »

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »

If you're having rain, how do you know there isn't any lightning activity nearby?  You won't necessarily see lightning or hear thunder in many cases, particularly if it is distant.

I did not even hear single thunder sound. 70 strikes possible in 12 hrs? Whole day radar showed 40 dBZ storms which is not capable of producing thunders. All we got is drizzle to moderate bands.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »

I had the false lightning strike issue with my Atlas and they sent me a replacement, which did not solve the issue. They tested my original Atlas, repaired it, and I have had no issues of any sort since. So the bottom line is they repaired the false lightning issue for mine. There was a wiring issue with the fan causing interference and triggering the lightning detector.

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »

I had the false lightning strike issue with my Atlas and they sent me a replacement, which did not solve the issue. They tested my original Atlas, repaired it, and I have had no issues of any sort since. So the bottom line is they repaired the false lightning issue for mine. There was a wiring issue with the fan causing interference and triggering the lightning detector.

My replacement device did not have any issues until yesterday (4 days after mounting) when it was hot day. But rain started yesterday evening and false striking starts after that. Have you tested the repaired device when it was raining?

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
I had my first round of severe thunderstorms roll through this past weekend since the lightning fix.

It seemed to work okay...recorded over twenty strikes which seemed reasonable.

Since the fix, I have not received any false strikes. I have had other rainy and snowy days that did not record any strikes.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2018, 11:26:36 AM »

My replacement device did not have any issues until yesterday (4 days after mounting) when it was hot day. But rain started yesterday evening and false striking starts after that. Have you tested the repaired device when it was raining?

AcuRite repaired my Atlas and I have had zero false lightning strikes since the repair.  The repaired unit has been running through several rain events and there have been no false lightning strikes.  Keep in mind that the sensor can detect lightning up to 25 miles away (40 km).  What distances were reported for the lightning strikes that were detected?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »

I did not even hear single thunder sound. 70 strikes possible in 12 hrs? Whole day radar showed 40 dBZ storms which is not capable of producing thunders. All we got is drizzle to moderate bands.
YES!

you will not hear them you will not see them but they are there,.

I had 12 strikes in less then 2hours the other day with my portable lighting detector.
KMIBADAX38

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »
Last one recorded was just 5 km away. But there was no rain at that time actually. Something screwed after rain started over my device. Let me get in touch with acurite team.

Lightning
Strikes Today
5 km
4:11 PM Today
Closest Strike
5 km
4:11 PM Today
Last Strike

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »

YES!

you will not hear them you will not see them but they are there,.

Thanks Daman and everyone. Let me monitor for some more days..

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2018, 11:34:03 AM »
feel it out for a little bit, I had 12 strikes in less then 2hours the other day with my portable lighting detector.
KMIBADAX38

anything