Author Topic: 24 Hr Solar Power Source  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
24 Hr Solar Power Source
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
 :?: :?: :?:
24 Hr Solar Power
I was at the Fort Hood, TX PX a couple of days ago shopping for bargains.  On the em clearance shelf in the Garden Shop I found a box “Marked Down Display” Solar garden lights. I snook a look inside the box and saw two solar cell panel, string of lights (like small Christmas lights, & peg to mount the solar panel---$28.00.  After walking around the store about ten minutes on how much trouble I could get into by buying the lights, I walked back and picked them up.
Today, I have had time to check what I had purchased. The solar pack is battery charger, containing three 1.2volt rechargeable batteries, on/off switch, and a photo-cell (turns lights on at dark). The lights plug into the solar battery pack via a connector similar to the plug from a transformer to say a set of power speakers. The printing on the solar pack indicates 4 volts. Finally had enough sun today to check out everything which works okay.
Now, some questions you who are more knowledgeable than me on such things. Remember, I had a second solar-battery pack. Is it possible to use a photo-cell to use one pack to run an item on solar power during daylight then switch to he battery power during darkness. If possible, then here is a 24 hr FARS power source.
Anxiously awaiting discussion…..answers?
Bob
 #-o
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: 24 Hr Solar Power Source
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:43:17 PM »
The solar cell is both a power source and a light/dark sensor.  The solar cell recharges the batteries when light.  In darkness, when the voltage from the solar cell falls below the battery voltage, a transistor switches the LEDs on.
As wired, the FARS may run only at night.  You can defeat the light/dark switch and the FARS will run until the battery doesn't recharge.
If the current output from the solar cell is sufficient to power the FARS fan and to recharge the batteries during daylight, then it should work.
Post a photo of the circuit board.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.