Author Topic: Need help with future computer issue  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Need help with future computer issue
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »
Keep in mind that the Moxa is a network device. You talk to it via IP address.

I am not familiar with the programs you are using. So, unless the programs can be setup to communicate to a network device and not just a comm port, this will not work.
If the programs can be setup with an IP address, the Moxa will have to be assigned a reservation or static IP address. Otherwise, during a power outage or other event, the Moxa might obtain a different dynamic DHCP address. You will then need the help of IT to tell you the new IP.

Static IP is a given, DHCP is not something to consider in this configuration.

There also appears to be a little confusion here with just what the Moxa is doing, yes it is a network device, a network device than can essentially be assigned a com port and to the Weatherlink software just looks like any other com port.

Nports work well with WeatherLink remotely using routers & DNS, simply using a com port, Weatherlink doesn't know the difference

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »
Or does someone have this set-up working and can confirm that it runs reliably? (While still presumably avoiding issuing any other instructions than loop packet requests?)

I did it years ago with a hardware RS232 splitter and WMII serial interface. It worked OK. I had VWS as the controlling program, and WinAPRS as the eavesdropper. It worked as long as the Tx line from the WinAPRS port was not connected. It just got the same LOOP data when VWS asked for it.

It almost certainly would NOT work with 2 more sophisticated programs independently asking for anything other than LOOP, especially if sending commands to the console.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
I guess I'm not understanding, but why don't you just keep your current setup if it works for you?
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »
I cant. The district provides the computer. They like to keep things as current as they can afford. So my computer is about 4 years old and they want to replace it.

That is one thing I do not have control over. I am doing something that no one else in the district has asked to do. So I try to work with them and they humor me. (in a good way)
After this, I have to figure out the whole https thing.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 04:08:43 AM »
I'm sceptical that this sort of splitter approach works reliably for feeding two separate software programs. Surely you run into the issue of each program independently trying to request loop packets from the console/logger which then gets pretty confused. Isn't this the whole point of VVP (where it can be used).
Spot on John. You cannot simply split the Comms to two programs, you need a hub program such VVP to control the link. The only exception is as noted above if one of the programs is just a passive "listener".
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:11:14 AM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

Static IP is a given, DHCP is not something to consider in this configuration.

Well...not entirely! I agree that a fixed, known, IP address is necessary, but I think that the best way of achieving this is by having the peripheral device use DHCP and setting up the router to assign it a fixed address (based on the peripheral device's unique MAC address). All decent routers can do this. The advantage of this approach is that it leaves the router in sole charge of IP address assignment for the network, as (IMHO) it should be. Hopefully (!), any future tech who may need to work on the network will check the router's assignment tables before giving another device a fixed address and/or replacing the router, and, in the latter case, will set the new one up in a corresponding way. Just setting a device 'locally' to a fixed IP address is asking for trouble when other network changes are made, however well things are documented.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
If you're not changing any of your Davis hardware, there is no reason you can't add a serial port to your PC and continue using VVP and your other programs.

The only time you usually run into issues is when you've upgraded your Davis console to a version that VVP no longer supports.

Personally, if your new PC still has PCI slots, I'd go that route of adding in serial card.  No conversion of USB to COM port needed then.  And it won't be as likely to go to sleep like a USB device.

I'm a big fan of KISS.  Splitters and network devices are just going to complicate the situation.  Especially if you can stick with what you know.  Only risk you could run into is having issues with your weather software not working well with Windows 10.  But most of those are fixable.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 01:00:16 PM »
Tech is looking for something that will work for me. May be a newer tower, with the serial port instead of the mini.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
I thought I did, but I will do it again.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
Tech is looking for something that will work for me. May be a newer tower, with the serial port instead of the mini.

I'm surprised the mini doesn't have 1 open expansion slot. Most used too, but times have changed.
Randy

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »
Why not talk your Tech people, who BTW are making the rules and typically cause the grief and who should be the ones providing a parallel solution, into providing you a wireless router, DNS with Ethernet to serial device and be able to run your system from any computer even from home, actually from anywhere in the world.

Doing this there are no security issues into their primary systems as the wireless router is basically its own self contained network, a router with WiFi then you have another link into the weather station but for me WiFi is something I generally turn off with this type of setup but it is an option. 

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 05:28:04 PM »
I'm not familiar with HP mini PC's.  But if they are anything like the Dell Optiplex 7050 micro PC's I buy for work, they don't have any PCI slots.

However, Dell does offer a serial solution.  There is a micro daughter card that gets installed into an optional opening on the back of the PC case.  You can put a serial port or an extra display port.

That's the route I went a couple of years ago when Dell first came out with the micro's.  I bought a simple i3 with serial port.  According to my Killawatt, it's running on 5 watts of power, with SSD.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Need help with future computer issue-Hopefully resolved
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
The computer has shown up. It has a serial port! HP EliteDesk Tower. I5

Now if everything transfers, all good.  Will have to do it over break.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Need help with future computer issue-finale'
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
All done for now.  I would say about a 60% ease.

Windows 10.

Had to do a little work on Weather Display. Some stuff did not copy over. I would say user error.

Cannot get Weatherlink to go past 5.8.3.   my 5.9 upgrade file would not work. No idea. Not sure that it matters.

VirtualVP and Startwatch working without a hitch.

I hate switching computers.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
Strange, when I was forced into Win10, 6.0.0 (cd rom) then 6.0.3 on top, both loaded fine.

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 11:46:52 AM »
Glad to hear it went 60% okay - hopefully it'll get ironed out in the coming weeks.