Author Topic: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout  (Read 159765 times)

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
Re: Vantage Vue Console logger pinout
« Reply #300 on: May 05, 2013, 05:44:47 AM »
Maybe. But the one single factor that defines whether a console will work eg with an XBee or not is whether it's a console hardware revision earlier than Rev 'M' or not. So why not focus on that specific point?

Will knowing that specific point contribute to making a workaround to this problem? Sounds like a passive "accept it as-is" to me.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:40 AM »
Will knowing that specific point contribute to making a workaround to this problem?

We have users here (and potentially other readers of this thread in future) effectively asking 'How do I know if a particular Vue console is compatible with XBee?'. They need the simplest/clearest answer surely? The Mfg Code provides that, the firmware revision does not, at least in the present state of understanding (which may change of course, depending on what other facts may emerge) and so far as I am aware.

Your agenda may well be different.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kb1pvh

• My weather
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
 FYI, I ended up buying the Davis serial datalogger and used a XBee Explorer Serial https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9111 on the console and the XBee Explorer Dongle https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9819 on shack computer. It's pricey, but I needed the console in the kitchen and the wife said  =; to laptop on counter.

Dave-KB1PVH

Offline tul9033

« Reply #303 on: May 20, 2013, 08:53:24 PM »
I've got a Davis 6250 on the way and have spent hours reading these threads to connect the console to a Windows 7 PC in a closet 30 ft away.  Running some form of data logging software, internet viewing, and weather station availability.
Just when I though I had a grasp on things I see things changes with the new revisions.
Could someone please be so kind as to redirect me to a solution that works with the new revision 6250?
Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:56:54 PM by tul9033 »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #304 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
I've got a Davis 6250 on the way and have spent hours reading these threads to connect the console to a Windows 7 PC in a closet 30 ft away.  Running some form of data logging software, internet viewing, and weather station availability.
Just when I though I had a grasp on things I see things changes with the new revisions.
Could someone please be so kind as to redirect me to a solution that works with the new revision 6250?
Thank you very much!

Off-topic, but:  http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510SER

Offline tul9033

« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
My thought it was on on topic because I was looking for a DIY solution which is what this thread pertains to.  No?
Thanks for the response, I saw the Davis solution when I was researching the 6250.  I came here for the cheaper DIY project.

Thank you very much!

Off-topic, but:  http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510SER

Offline misher

« Reply #306 on: October 06, 2013, 07:26:29 PM »
Hello, new member here..
I am having problems with my diy data cable.
I have a Vantage Vue and a FTDI Cable 5V VCC-3.3V I/O which has been wired to the expansion port in the following method:
Cable  -  Expansion Port
GND   -   GND
RX     -   TX
TX     -   RX
I installed the FTDI virtual com port drivers and had a successful install.
I set the baud rate to 19200 @com3 and directed cumulus (software) to look for the data on com 3.
No luck....

What am i missing here?
The baud rate setting is not visible on the vue console so i assume it doesnt read any connection....
Thanks!

Offline misher

« Reply #307 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
Just read that the "new" vue consoles effectively block the diy approach.....
Darn...

Offline Keshka

« Reply #308 on: December 19, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
Hello gang! Thank you all for the work provided here, wonderful thread.

I am trying to duplicate the steps John/af4ex has outlined.

Some details:
1. Vantage PRO2 product 6312 mfg code A50623A04 (on start up says rev may 27 2005)
2. pair of xBee series 1
3. xBee 'a' is plugged into ladyada's usb adapter, the adapter to a port on my computer.
4. xBee 'b' is connected to the Vantage per John's instructions
5. both xBee's have been configured with X-CTU
6. X-CTU is used for serial communication testing
7. when xBee 'b' had pin 2 and 3 shorted and disconnected from the Vantage I can perform a successful loop back test. So they do talk.

The problem:
connected to pins 5 & 6 of the Vantage, I can get no response back at all. Have tried sending TEST many times and per Davis a hex '0A'. I get nothing. I see no configuration setting on the Vantage in the menu. From ground to either pin 5 or six I measure an open voltage of 3v. I can send photos of my set up if needed. Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?

Keshka

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #309 on: December 19, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
The problem:
connected to pins 5 & 6 of the Vantage, I can get no response back at all. Have tried sending TEST many times and per Davis a hex '0A'. I get nothing. I see no configuration setting on the Vantage in the menu. From ground to either pin 5 or six I measure an open voltage of 3v. I can send photos of my set up if needed. Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?

Keshka

Did you connect the ground of xBee 'b' to one of the console's ground pins (15 or 16)?

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #310 on: December 24, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »
So can anybody advise, is there any DIY dataloggers that will work with ALL versions of hardware/FW on the VV2? I am currently on Rev 1.90 and have NO intentions on upgrading unless I am forced to. If I do upgrade, I assume I will have to either buy a new logger or build one!

Thanks,

Jordan

Offline torkelmj

• Contributor
    • My weather station, etc.
« Reply #311 on: December 25, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
I am currently on Rev 1.90 and have NO intentions on upgrading unless I am forced to. If I do upgrade, I assume I will have to either buy a new logger or build one!

Jordan, that may or may not be the case. Upgrading to a NEW CONSOLE: new data logger(*) probably REQUIRED. Upgrading only the firmware from v. 1.90 to v. 3.xx - new data logger NOT REQUIRED.

I write "probably" because you never really know what's available of "pre-2012" (approximately) units. None of the units I've received from the US during the last 6 months have had the v. 1.90 firmware, so I guess the supply of older units is non-existent or at best very limited.

(*) or a suitable DIY-variant.

Offline jordy98x1

« Reply #312 on: December 29, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
I think I will leave everything as is! i am considering getting another Logger for one of my original consoles. I wonder how big of a problem that will be!

Jordan

Offline Keshka

« Reply #313 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
Thank you for responding DeKay. I have connected xBee "b" the same as this post:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10721.msg104689#msg104689

ground to pin 15
3v to pin 13

rx to pin 6
tx to pin 5

if I only disconnect pins 5 & 6 from the Vantage and short the on my xBee board....'a' and 'b' will talk

Keshka

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #314 on: January 03, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
Thank you for responding DeKay. I have connected xBee "b" the same as this post:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10721.msg104689#msg104689

And you've set the baud rate on the XBees to 19,200 baud and 8N1?

Offline Jorginho

I know it is an old thread...
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2020, 03:29:25 AM »
I think I asked this some time ago on the Peet forum but got nothing back. But my question is if anyone would know if this works for every serial port. My  Peetbros Ultimeter 2100 is collecting  dust, I have several VP stations. The nice thing about the peet is 0,25 s  updates and some other things I won't get into. The big downside is?: it is wired. And my weatherstation is 200 metres from the house in the field. So does anyone know if this would work also? Thx!

Offline Freezer

« Reply #316 on: December 19, 2020, 03:44:41 PM »
Hello all, can I ask a BIG FAVOR...can some of you seasoned peeps help a couple of us with some newbie troubleshooting PLEASE?!

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12432.new#new

The details begin in my December 15, 2020 post any help is greatly appreciated.  [tup]

Offline Mr. DOS

« Reply #317 on: February 18, 2021, 05:55:25 AM »
Is it correct that this Hirose connector will connect without modification?

http://octopart.com/df11-20ds-2dsa%2805%29-hirose-260412
Nuts, I didn't see this before I did my own digging around for the connector part. Yes, the Hirose DF11-series connectors appear to be exactly correct, or at least form/fit/function-compatible (including keying). As I commented yesterday on DeKay's old blog post, a Hirose DF11-20DS-2C connector housing and some DigiKey-assembled wires are an easy way to get connected “nicely”. It's not much to look at because it fits so well.

Pictured there is just a SparkFun RS-232 level shifter. I'm really hooking up an Espressif ESP32, because it's powerful, cheap, and has lots of connectivity options. I haven't tried yet to see if I can power the ESP32 off the Vue's VCC pin. Anyone know what the current limit on that pin is?

anything