Author Topic: My dad has a stevenson screen in his backyard...  (Read 2654 times)

Offline theonlyjess

My dad has a stevenson screen in his backyard...
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »
Hello all!

I'm posting today to ask your opinion (from a quick browse of the forums - far beyond my experience) on what I should buy my father to put inside his backyard weather station.

I should mention that my dad has been an amateur meteorologist as long as I can remember (recording the weather daily now for 30+ years) and I myself have some experience with met. equipment from my own research in school. We picked up an old Environment Canada Stevenson screen from a local farmer in good condition which needed only a lick of paint and a new base. So my question is... what should we put in/on it?

Met. variables of interest in order of importance:

temp/humidity/pressure
   rain/snowfall accumulation
   wind speed/direction
   net radiation/insolation/UV etc
   leaf wetness/ soil moisture etc

So my thinking was, since he has a good base to start from (as well as instrumentation experience) it might be fun to build this up slowly instead of buying a snazzy all-in-one station. Clearly the first purchase is the base station/data logger. My experience has been with multi-use data loggers and LARGE data sets so I'm a bit out of my element for a backyard station. I'm interested in wireless (too many rodent-chewed cables in field-research!!!) and the ability to connect to a computer to quickly make graphs and do some trend analysis. However, a display that doesn't require a computer is a deal-breaker. Expandability is also a must and I'd rather not be stuck with a single manufacturer... unless the consensus is that buying an all-in-one station and adapting it for the S-screen is the way to go. 

Also, I thought it might be fun to install some antique temp/pressure operated instruments as backup - is eBay/kijiji my best bet for finding things like this or should I be hitting local flea markets? Where can I find information on older met equipment? Again, my own experience has taught me not to trust even solid-state sealed systems so I thought a backup would be smart and look cool!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

~jess~

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: My dad has a stevenson screen in his backyard...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
Sounds like a fun long-term project.  There are people here that make wireless rain gauges from doorbells and sporks and weather consoles from toy pagers.  You are sure to find an idea or two.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: My dad has a stevenson screen in his backyard...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »
Google 1-wire or one wire weather station and start there.

anything