Author Topic: "Roll your own" wireless ISS?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
"Roll your own" wireless ISS?
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
I doubt that this is an original thought, but...

I just replaced the wireless anny transmitter with a hard-wired cable and I got to thinking. Some people have wanted the ability to separate everything on an ISS; the rain gauge, solar/uv, temp/hum...

It seems to me that one could use the anny transmitter, the sensors from a temp/hum station, an aftermarket rain gauge, solar and UV sensors, and either a wired or wireless anemometer to make a replacement for the all-in-one unit.

Tell the console that the replacement ISS transmitter is an ISS, and it should work.

Granted, it would all have to be wired to the transmitter, but I think it would work.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Re: "Roll your own" wireless ISS?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
I doubt that this is an original thought, but...

I just replaced the wireless anny transmitter with a hard-wired cable and I got to thinking.

Not quite sure what you are saying here... Do you mean that you ran a wire between the antennas? Or that plugged a cable into the socket on the transmitter board? Or...?

Some people have wanted the ability to separate everything on an ISS; the rain gauge, solar/uv, temp/hum...

It seems to me that one could use the anny transmitter, the sensors from a temp/hum station, an aftermarket rain gauge, solar and UV sensors, and either a wired or wireless anemometer to make a replacement for the all-in-one unit.

Tell the console that the replacement ISS transmitter is an ISS, and it should work.

Granted, it would all have to be wired to the transmitter, but I think it would work.

Why would it have to be wired? Even Davis has a document that says the above would work wirelessly.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but thanks for linking to that App Note 32, C5250.  I'd forgotten about it and for those that have never read it, the link should be better entitled: the Davis explanation on how to set up unusual VP2 configurations including:

Temp Only
Temp/Hum Only
Rain Only
Wind Only
Temp, Hum, & Wind
Temp, Hum, & Rain
Temp, Hum, Wind, & Rain with rain collector separated
and presumably solar could be mixed with these possibilities.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
The only caveat is that the app note is wrong about a rain only station. Such is not supported by the firmware.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

anything