Author Topic: Access Power Blip  (Read 2823 times)

Offline HH2

Access Power Blip
« on: June 03, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
A couple days ago we had a one second power outage/blip and Access went off line.  I waited 24 hours and it never came back on line until I disconnected it for 10 second and reconnected.  I also noticed that the AcuRite Access Info (for internal troubleshooting), the 192.xxx.x.xxx number had to be changed to view status.

Is there something I need to change to fix this or is it an ongoing Access issue.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Access Power Blip
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »
Your router is handing out a random IP address to your Access. When you lost power, the router rebooted and assigned a different IP address to the Access. I don’t know why but the Access isn’t smart enough to check for a new IP address after a power loss, it still thinks the old IP address is in use.

My suggestion is to have your router give your Access a static IP address.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:26:40 AM »
Can you please give me the procedure to assign the static IP address to Access?  I know how to access my router, but I couldn't see where to assign a static IP address to Access.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:29:39 AM by HH2 »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »
Depends on the router - even the same brand has diff instructions depending on the model.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Look in your router's manual for assigning static IP's or making DHCP reservations. If you can't find anything in the manual list your router here, someone will help.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
Can you please give me the procedure to assign the static IP address to Access?  I know how to access my router, but I couldn't see where to assign a static IP address to Access.

If you have a cable router here's how I did it . Open your router ( it's IP address ) and under Ethernet find your Access IP address remember to look for mac address for the unit that makes it easy to find . You can find your mac address on the unit or open the My AcuRite dashboard and under  settings then devices you will see it there . Once you click on the IP address for the Access you can then click on " Reserve IP " and the router will hold that IP address for your Access . I have my Access and my security system plus my security camera system all set up like this .

All routers are different but I hope this helps you out .

Offline HH2

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
I'm struggling with setting up the static IP address.  My router is a Cisco Linksys E4200.  Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/E_Series_UG_E900Rev_3425-01486_Web.pdf

Follow the instructions for "How to set up DHCP reservation" on page 30 of the manual. You will need the MAC address for your Access which is listed as the "Device id" found on the battery compartment plate of the Access. Enter the MAC address, give it a IP address and save.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »
Thank you very much, the instructions on page 30 made the process very simple.  So next power outage, the IP address will remain the same, thanks to your help (and the help of other replies).

Offline HH2

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
2.5 hour power outage that ended seven hours ago and Access is still off line.  So my static IP change didn't resolve my problem (at least not yet).  I have new batteries in my Access, should that help or hinder??

How long does it normally take for it to reconnect??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:18:28 AM by HH2 »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »
When the power if off to the Access do you get a slow blinking blue status light indicating that the battery backup is working.

What is the status light showing when power is restored to the Access?

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 09:22:06 AM »
I don't know what the light was doing during the power outage (it was middle of the night).  At this point in time, the light is pulsing blue.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:59:34 AM »
Sounds like its trying to connect to the network. If the battery backup isn't working the Access may lose the IP address it was assigned from your router and needs to have the router assign it an IP address. You can probably get the router to assign an IP address by unplugging and plugging back in the Ethernet cable from the Access.

Pull the power plug to the Access and watch the status light. If the status light is off then the battery backup is failing.

If the battery backup is working then I have no suggestions.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
Thank you for all your help.  When I unplugged the power, the Access light went off.  When I just replaced the batteries I then had a slow blinking blue light.  After unplugging & re-plugging the Ethernet cable, it connected to the router almost instantly.  When I checked the flash screen, the IP address was the same as the static address I assigned a couple weeks ago.

So was my reconnect problem the result of poor batteries?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
Yep, I'm blaming that there was no battery backup power to the Access.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
OK great, thanks again for all your help!!!

I guess I could test it by unplugging the power momentarily (same as a power outage blip??)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:49:29 AM by HH2 »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »
Just for a test I killed the power to my router, modem and Access. Everything worked as it should when I restored the power back to everything.

So my Access is working as it should after a power loss.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 06:55:38 AM »
I had a power outage yesterday and lost WeatherUnderground and Access and it do not come back on after the power returned.  The blue light on Access was solid blue and I also could not connect to splash page.  I waited about five hours and still no connections.  I pulled the power connection on Access for about five seconds and everything was connected shortly thereafter and got a fairly quick note for WeatherUnderground saying I was connected again.  The Access IP address is still the same.

What the heck????

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »
Is the Access plugged into a network switch? I have a switch I need to reset by pulling the power plug whenever my router loses power. Otherwise devices using the switch wouldn't be able to access the internet.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:58:28 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline HH2

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 07:20:02 AM »
My Access is plugged into one of the four Ethernet connections on my Linksys E4200 router, is that considered a switch?  My router is plugged into a Belkin multiple outlet surge protector.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 07:53:36 AM »
Yes that is a switch, but I was thinking that a different separate switch was causing your problems.

Sorry, I'm out of suggestions on fixing your problem. The Access was designed to handle power outages, I have no idea on why yours is having problems. It doesn't sound like anyone else here is having the same problem.

It may be time to contact AcuRite if no one here can offer a solution.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »
If I plug my Access directly into an ethernet port on the modem from my internet provider, I get a blinking red light. If I plug it into my Tp-link AC1200 it immediately works fine...

Do the internet providers disable their DHCP in their equipment maybe? How is anyone supposed to use their stuff?

So to put it another way, the only way I can use Access is through a switch I guess...

Offline Beech33

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
I had this problem several months ago and AcuRite told me that the new firmware was going to fix the problem and it did. Never had the "fail to reconnect after power outage" problem again.

Is your firmware the latest version? The version number is posted here somewhere.

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
I have had the same problem since Access came out,  it was replaced once under warranty but I still have the problem.  I have three weather stations so it's not that much of an issue.  I have moved on from Acurite because of that issue.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline HH2

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 06:37:36 AM »
My Access firmware is version 050 (I assume that's the latest).  So the way things stand, when we go on vacation and have a power loss (even a one second blip) I will not be able to check weather or indoor temps until I get home and unplug Access for a couple seconds, what a disgusting mess.

I thank all those who have taken time to offer input/advice on my problem, this is a great forum.