Author Topic: Access Firmware Update  (Read 8410 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Access Firmware Update
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 12:38:39 AM »
I have a 5-in-1 station connected to WU via an Access.  That 5-in-1 has also been connected to a couple of acurite displays.  I noticed today that both of those displays were no longer getting data from the 5-in-1, but the Access was continuing to feed WU.  For some reason, the 5-in-1 had started broadcasting as a different type (C instead of A).  I managed to set up the displays to start communicating again.  The Access is now reporting firmware 50.  I wonder if the firmware change told the 5-in-1 to switch to type C?
I have a 5 in 1 with two displays also but so far everything is working normally.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, and I should know the answer, but where do I see the current Access firmware number? I can't find it on MyAcurite anywhere.

You need to find the IP address that was assigned to your Access, then open that IP address from a local web browser.  That should bring up the "splash" page in the Access which is used for debugging.  You should see the firmware version listed there.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 01:19:27 AM »
You need to find the IP address that was assigned to your Access, then open that IP address from a local web browser.  That should bring up the "splash" page in the Access which is used for debugging.  You should see the firmware version listed there.
Got it. Thanks!

Offline DavePushee

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »
I have a 5-in-1 station connected to WU via an Access.  That 5-in-1 has also been connected to a couple of acurite displays.  I noticed today that both of those displays were no longer getting data from the 5-in-1, but the Access was continuing to feed WU.  For some reason, the 5-in-1 had started broadcasting as a different type (C instead of A).  I managed to set up the displays to start communicating again.  The Access is now reporting firmware 50.  I wonder if the firmware change told the 5-in-1 to switch to type C?

The Access doesn't care about the A/B/C settings.   That's only for the displays.

There is no way to push a firmware update to the sensors, nor can the Access change a sensor's channel.

Usually if a sensor changes channel unexpectedly, it's because there is some corrosion or other crud on the physical A/B/C switch.  So I'd suspect that might be happening on your 5n1's switch.  You might try moving the switch back and forth quickly.... sometimes that clears the crud.

The Access won't care about the quirky switch as it ignores the channel settings.  It will only be the displays that are affected.

Thanks, nincehelser.  That removes a variable.  The snow is currently too deep to slog out to the 5-in-1, put up a step-ladder, and fiddle with the switch.  I'll just have to put up with the displays dropping out from time to time until spring really comes.

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
Does anyone know if the Access will support the new Atlas Elite, that is suppose to be coming out this summer?

Or will it require a new device to upload to WU?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Does anyone know if the Access will support the new Atlas Elite, that is suppose to be coming out this summer?

Or will it require a new device to upload to WU?

Access support isn't in the plan as the Elite uses a different frequency (up around 915MHz) and spread-spectrum modulation.  Somewhere in the initial reports it was stated the the reporting would be done through the display console.

Since then Acurite has released some 5n1 display consoles that report to wunderground through WiFi.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »
I didn't know the Elite was coming this summer? Where did you learn this?

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 10:49:03 AM »
Well gee, Victoria...what a great big surprise. You told me that if I wanted to discuss this problem further that I should send you a private message. I did that SIX DAYS AGO, yet you have not responded. More typical AcuRite lies. Color me shocked. It's hard to "discuss this further" when the other person doesn't respond.

Pitiful. Absolutely pitiful.

Same problem persists. MORE false rain readings. Just got another one this morning.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
Hi Bart, I apologize, not getting to you sooner is completely on me, and unrelated to the company. Throughout the past few weeks, I've been incredibly tied up with a few matters (pretty sure my family thought I fell off the planet, too); I saw your message last week and didn't want to give you a hasty or effortless response, though it did take longer to come back to it than I wanted.

I've since replied, and should be far more available now to continue the conversation.

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
Thank you. I have responded to your message.

Offline HH2

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
Anyone have any inside info and when the next Access firmware update might occur??

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Is there a release notes published anywhere for the Access firmware versions?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 12:36:16 PM »
After a few generic suggestions on where to obtain the firmware value, someone stated one needed to obtain the IP address of the Access device and open a browser using said IP.

So, I've now tried that with every browser I have (Chrome, IE, Edge, and Firefox), and all of them refuse to open.  I can ping that address successfully, and ESET's Network Monitor tool also sees the Access device.  The device is functioning properly, I just cannot "hit" it via web to see the version of the Access firmware.

IE reports "Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND", for example....

It would be really nice if one could simply go to "My Accurite"--click on Settings>>About, and see the Access Firmware version listed there amongst the other components displayed -OR- directly contained within the properties for the Devices>>Connections element of "My Accurite".

What am I missing/not doing correctly by attempting to find this info by using the web....

I've tried this both from my wired desktop machine--as well as wirelessly from one of my laptops.  I get the same result, so I think I can rule out my ESET firewall running on my desktop system....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »
What is the IP address that you found and are trying to enter into the browser? Paste exactly what you are entering into the browsers here for use to take a look at. Maybe there is a formatting error that you are missing.
Tele-Pole

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
The first thing I did was use my ESET Network Monitoring tool (a tool that AV company uses to identify all network-connected devices it can find), and then proceeds to display a "map" of all the devices it finds.  It displays both the MAC address and the IP address assigned for each device.  It is a built-in feature of ESET Internet Security.

Because "My Accurite" displays the Access Device MAC address under Settings>>Devices, I was able to correlate the actual device ESET was displaying to determine the IP address in question--using MAC Address as the common denominator.

I then simply tried (both http and https)://<<IP address of my device>>.  Since this is a private network, I feel no issue telling you this device is 192.168.1.15.  The browser adds a slash at the end of the IP address, and then proceeds to make the attempt to connect.

And fails.

When I first realized all one was supposed to need was the IP address and then launch a local browser pointed to that address, I then realized this is similar to hitting a printer on the network in order to access the web-based properties.  I thought I was going to be home-free, as I've done that sort of thing hundreds of times.  I was surprised to encounter this brick wall....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
You can try entering in just 192.168.1.15 without the http(s) nor any of the // or / marks.....just the IP address alone.

There could also be a problem with the connection you are using on your computer. Some routers are configured for Guest mode and isolate devices on the network and then prohibit internal connections. Make sure you can get to other devices on the network like you mentioned your printers configuration internal webpage.

Another possible problem is that you have what is referred to a double NAT situation. This occurs when you have two devices on the network acting as a router. It is basically a router behind a router. Sometimes one of the routers is actually your ISP modem if it isn't in bridge mode. In this situation with two routers if your computer is connected directly to the first router and the Access is connected directly to a different router then you can't get to the the Access because you are on the wrong side of the second router's firewall WAN port. My suggestion if you have your own router is to get rid of the double NAT situation by putting the modem into what is called bridge mode....or move all your network devices to all be behind the 2nd router so that they are all on the same local subnet. Sometimes people fall into the double NAT situation when they add a router to extend WiFi coverage....in this case you want to turn that WiFi router into just a wireless access point so that you aren't creating a new firewall behind another firewall situation.

You can also try temporarily disabling the ESET firewall on your computer. It may be doing some active blocking of internal devices. When ESET first connected to your network (a long time ago) it asked you something to the effect if it was a public or private network you were connecting to. So it is possible that ESET is blocking connections if it thinks you are on a public network. Perhaps you can redefine the local network to be private in ESET.
Tele-Pole

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
I had failed to mention I had also tried just my IP address (without the http/https and :// formatting) to no avail.

I did temporarily turn off my firewall per your request--as that was a good test.

No change in symptom.

I also ensured I can reach my Canon printer via IP address using the same web-based method--and that works just fine.

I only have one router--with no other devices acting as such.

I simply cannot reach the Access Gateway via browser.

It is functioning, as I can see My Accurite data via multiple computers and my iPhone, and it is reporting to WeatherUnderground via the Sharing configuration of My Accurite….

Very odd I cannot hit the gateway device via browser....  Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
Maybe the Access's internal webpage has frozen up. Power cycle the Access and see if you can hit it then with the browser. You may need to pull the batteries out. It is totally possible that the Access is uploading data but its internal web server is locked up.
Tele-Pole

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
No change in behavior....

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »
Don't know what else to say  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  Perhaps contact Acurite.
Tele-Pole

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 02:37:43 PM »
Thanks for all of your ideas.  Appreciate your efforts....

Offline GeeGeeNVa

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »
galfert--

I tried one more thing....  Earlier when I pulled the plug on the Access device, I gave it a 30-count before plugging it back in (there were already no batteries in the device, as it--like all of the centrally-located network devices all receive power via a portable (but wall-mounted) UPS).

This time, I decided to give it more time "off".

I left it off for 5 or more minutes (I did something else 'work-related' while it was off).

When I powered it back on and after the blue LED stopped flashing (on solid), I successfully launched a local browser window to the device and it revealed firmware version 50.

So, your hypothesis about the internal webpage being frozen was likely on-par; I just didn't leave it powered off long enough to force it to restart from a "cold" boot.

30 seconds was not long enough (or my version of 30 seconds wasn't long enough, at-any-rate).

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the update. Now we can all learn to power off the Access for a long time.
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »
I think I know what is happening with the crazy rain readings... If the Access loses signal long enough from the Atlas, it throws out crazy readings once in a while.

I had over 100 inches of rain on mine the other day. Last night I checked the diagnostic page, and I had "0" for the Atlas. Other sensors were fine... I have done nothing different, and moved nothing around.

Also I find when my PC connect display loses signal from the 5n1 long enough, it will throw crazy wind readings. I have found a sweet spot for the display now, and no more wild readings, but it will still drop a bar occasionally.

It is very difficult to place these receivers, and for the average user or a beginner, they don't think it should matter where the Access is placed, and there isn't much room to site it, since it needs power, and to be hooked to an ethernet port.

Offline HH2

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Hopefully the next Access firmware update will fix the crazy Access rain errors that many of us have. 

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Hopefully the next Access firmware update will fix the crazy Access rain errors that many of us have.

Last time I communicated woth customer service they said they didn't know what the problem was; only that it wasn't caused by the Access hardware and could be "software" related. They also told me they would notify me when they have a solution to the problem. I haven't received any communication from them since that exchange.