Author Topic: FARS? witch one?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
FARS? witch one?
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
Like to hear some thoughts from you guy's i plan on constructing a FARS in the next week or so but can't decide on what homemade style to go with.

in your opinion what's the better more accurate design a or b??

(a)  

http://n8vhf.com/2011/05/21/fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

(b)  

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,23736.0.html

both look like great designs just wondering if one has an advantage over the other no matter how small,thoughts???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:49:48 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: FARS? witch one?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 09:04:04 PM »
Daman.... I built option 'A', the one that uses the PVC stuff. I think it works pretty good, considering of where I have it set up. It is on the south side of the house in direct sunlight and though the temp may be higher than my other 3 Temp. locations, when I check it in the middle of the day, I feel 'cool' air coming out of the top. It is mounted over one of the flower beds, that may be helping with the 'cool' air. And, it was pretty easy to put together. If you look in that thread, you will see what I did. Similar, but a little different than Brian's build, and it only cost me (without the fan or solar panel) about $30 bucks. I'm happy.......Jack
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
... and I run with option b,
and get consistent results against VTCC (airport METAR) across the street . 

NWS and other commecial met companies use both styles. They are both inexpensive to build and you may want to try both ways to decide what you like. ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:16:14 PM by DanS »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »
Interesting (a) would be easier to build IMO but i like (b) also...lol  #-o
KMIBADAX38

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »

... and don't forget the Stevenson screen type. (personally I prefer the 2 methods described already but that's only me)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
I guess another question i have is my sensor(bellow)has batteries in it and it's coupled with the wind sensor  thinking i would need easy access to get to my unit to replace batteries and to just mount the thing. Also anyone think the signal would be hampered being in side these shields?

KMIBADAX38

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
I guess another question i have is my sensor(bellow)has batteries in it and it's coupled with the wind sensor  thinking i would need easy access to get to my unit to replace batteries and to just mount the thing. Also anyone think the signal would be hampered being in side these shields?

Signal won't be hampered..are you using a LaCrosse by any chance?  I know those had the two input jacks for the anemometer and rain gauge when I had them, so that limits your options a little if you still want wind and rain and not be completely tethered by the distance.

I have a TE923W and bought a shield from Ambient (worth 30 bucks alone for me not to have to trapse around town looking for the supplies, half of which I couldn't find), then instead of completely modifying it I added a cut piece of plastic to act as a mount for an old 80 mm PC fan, bought a 6x12 solar panel for less than 20 bucks, wired it up, put the panel inside a hobby frame for protection and silicone sealed it, bought some plastic tubing from the hardware store to act as spacers to allow the fan to sit inside the shield...

I have some photos of what and how I did it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oilerfan/sets/72157624157987690/with/4649389584/
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
Yea a LaCrosse but only one jack for the anemometer the rain gauge  is wire less. Thanks for the pics still never started the project yet.
KMIBADAX38

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:54:44 AM »
Style 'A' is going to be affected more during a power/fan failure, but type 'B' would still function as a normally aspirated shield.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:53 AM »