Author Topic: serious problem wit PC connection, please help!  (Read 4309 times)

Offline andrea

serious problem wit PC connection, please help!
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »
I had a problem with my old computer (error 123 the system will turn off!) I don’t know if it was a virus, or damage because of the massive thunder storms that night, when I took my computer to fix it’ it fall down and was broken, I decided to buy a new one, since then, the Heavy weather pro 3600 software failed to connect with my new PC ! I tried every thing, all the configurations are OK! I changed the serial cable with new one! But the same “no whether station detected in com 1 “ by the way since that night ,the rain sensor start to read false data! What could be the reason?! I even turned off the fire wall and the anti virus program!! “ Maccafe” I tried also to connect the station WS3600 with USB to Serial adapter, nothing works! The question if the station it self has damaged because of the lightning?! But it still read the data! Please help

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: serious problem wit PC connection, please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:43 AM »
Well since you have a new computer and you tried different serial cables and he rain gauge is now showing erratic readings I would guess the 3600 console took a hit from the thunderstorm you mentioned. You verified that the computer is setup correctly with the com port? 9600 baud, 8 bits, parity none, stop bits 1, no flow cntrl, etc. and it's using the correct port that you connect to? On the computer if you look in "my computer", "control panel", "system", "hardware", "device manager", does the listing for communications port have a yellow exclamation point symbol next to it indicating a conflict problem?

Regards
Dan

Offline Hedgeley

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
I can't help with a 3600 console Andrea, but as Dan suggested, check the settings for the COM1 port and make sure the USB/Serial adaptor is set to COM1.  Some adaptors default to a different COM port.  Hope it all turns out OK for you.

Regards

Michael

Offline andrea

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:11:22 AM »
yes all the com1 setting are right! so if the station was damaged from the thunderstorms, I understand no chance to fix it? :sad:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
Andrea, it sounds like you've tried just about everything to narrow down the problem to be (at least) the 3600 station console since it refuses to communicate. You could assume for now that the sensors may have survived (?) and just order another console first to see. This would be the least expensive first step to get you back up. The outside temp/humid sensor may have problems too but since you mentioned you can still read data on the console from everything (right?) it may have survived the storm.

If someone else has some ideas please ....

Regards,
Dan

Offline andrea

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
Yes I still read all the data in the station! Even the rain sensor less and less is inaccurate! But what do you mean by console” I am sorry” do you mean the hall station(inside the home) without the sensors, or an electronic card “ something like that” inside the station.
Thank you, I’m sorry again about my English  :oops:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 07:33:32 AM »
Sorry, when I say the console I am talking about the 3600 weather station inside your home, alone with no sensors. The LaCrosse WS3600 weather station console you are talking about appears to be the center of your problems.
I can only guess, but believe if you take your console station to a repair shop the cost would be at least as much as a replacement unit.

Good luck and please ask if you still need help.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:35:41 AM by DanS »

Offline andrea

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:52:54 AM »
Thank you Dan
Cheers

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
that station uses non standard commnications to the PC
and so some USB to serial adpators are better suited than others (i.e use one that is good quality (prolifc or keyspan chipset)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:22 PM »
that station uses non standard commnications to the PC
and so some USB to serial adpators are better suited than others (i.e use one that is good quality (prolifc or keyspan chipset)

I agree. Very few USB to serial adapters support hardware handshaking let alone the appropriate OS calls to drive the lines.

My advice is to hook the console up to a PC that has a real serial port.

anything