Author Topic: Fan spinning the wrong way  (Read 1542 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
Fan spinning the wrong way
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
As many of you know, I purchased and set up my vantage pro 2 with 24 hour FARS last week.  I've noticed some unusual temps being higher than surrounding stations in the sun.  I wasn't  really alarmed, but I inspected the station further again today as I was curious how fast the fan was running in the sun.

It's running hard, but I noticed that air is blowing out the vent at the bottom of the radiation shield.  For example, when I hold a paper towel up to the bottom screen, it blows it away instead of sucking it up.  I took off the rad shield and noted that the fan is turning clockwise when looking at it from above.

Is this correct? I feel like it should be the opposite.

Edit: I guess my ask would be for someone to put their hand below the rad shield screen at the bottom.  Do you feel air coming out of it?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:02:58 PM by dport »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Fan spinning the wrong way
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:43:14 PM »
You are correct. The fan should be sucking air from the bottom of the ISS. Per the manual, you should call Davis support for help—particularly since if new will be covered under warranty.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:52:14 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »
Yep wrong way..Its not installed upside down is it?
Randy

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Well, I think I figured it out.  I have a faulty unit.  I took it down while in full sun.  The fan was spinning clockwise.  I took the batteries out and flipped them.  Boom, the fan is spinning correctly.

Then, I took the batteries out and left them out.  I made sure the solar panel was facing the sun, and bam, it's spinning the wrong way again.

So it appears both the batteries and the solar panel are wired backwards.  Switching the positive/negative on the batteries fixes the problem to a point, but the fan runs slower bc it's fighting the connected solar panel which is wired the wrong way. 

Edit, to answer the above question, it installed correctly and not upside down

I'm disappointed in Davis.  I saw another post on this awhile back.  I took videos of everything to document my situation. 

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
Well, I think I figured it out.  I have a faulty unit.  I took it down while in full sun.  The fan was spinning clockwise.  I took the batteries out and flipped them.  Boom, the fan is spinning correctly.

Then, I took the batteries out and left them out.  I made sure the solar panel was facing the sun, and bam, it's spinning the wrong way again.

So it appears both the batteries and the solar panel are wired backwards.  Switching the positive/negative on the batteries fixes the problem to a point, but the fan runs slower bc it's fighting the connected solar panel which is wired the wrong way. 

Edit, to answer the above question, it installed correctly and not upside down

I'm disappointed in Davis.  I saw another post on this awhile back.  I took videos of everything to document my situation.

I just purchased this same unit this week and haven’t installed it. Hope my luck is better than yours, but as I stated before, call Davis support, assuming you live in the US. Email support is slow!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Yes it should of been throughly tested prior to sending out. Course its a weekend so will be next week before new unit gets to you. 
Randy

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
Here are pictures of the fan and the wiring.  Does it look backwards to you?  It's odd that BOTH the batteries and the solar panel make the fan spin the wrong way.  I feel like the red/black wires going into the fan are backwards?  Either way, I'm highly annoyed.  I've taken the whole unit down (left the anemometer up though) and have it inside.  I bought from Ryan at SI.  Should I contact him first?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 03:50:21 PM »
I just looked at both my spares, they're the same as yours.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
I just looked at both my spares, they're the same as yours.

Thank you.  So it must be internal wires somewhere or the board is messed up.  You can even tell on my above picture (with the motion blur) that my fan is spinning clockwise. 

Annoyed is an understatement.  Big low coming up the coast tomorrow with precipitation and big temp changes.  Bummed I won't have my unit out there for it. 

I have sent Ryan an email. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »
Switching the positive/negative on the batteries fixes the problem to a point, but the fan runs slower bc it's fighting the connected solar panel which is wired the wrong way. 
Not necessarily. When the batteries are in, the solar panel is not only running the fan but charging the batteries at the same time, taking current from the fan making it run slower.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
Switching the positive/negative on the batteries fixes the problem to a point, but the fan runs slower bc it's fighting the connected solar panel which is wired the wrong way. 
Not necessarily. When the batteries are in, the solar panel is not only running the fan but charging the batteries at the same time, taking current from the fan making it run slower.

I'll take your point, but when the batteries were facing the correct direction, the fan was moving much faster than when they were facing the wrong direction. 

Just didn't want to void warranty or create more issues by leaving the batteries in the "wrong" direction. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:10:59 PM by dport »

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
For anyone who wants to see this in action, please see the video I just uploaded:  https://youtu.be/fR0aRDX0k90

I can only imagine how many fans are out there like this and the poor owners don't have a clue.  I highly recommend everyone check their fans!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »

I'll take your point, but when the batteries were facing the correct direction, the fan was moving much faster than when they were facing the wrong direction. 
Maybe because when they're in the "correct" direction, the batteries are not charging, allowing the fan to spin on full power. Just a thought.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »

Maybe because when they're in the "correct" direction, the batteries are not charging, allowing the fan to spin on full power. Just a thought.

Could be.  Not sure.  I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first Davis.  Does your fan typically run much faster when in the sun is out compared to in the shade?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »
Yes, much faster in full sun.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »

Got it.  Yeah, I mean, I would love to just switch the battery directions and just put it back out there, but I don't think it's worth voiding the warranty.  Also, when I take both batteries out (and leave them out) the fan then runs on solar power alone.  When I do this the fan is still spinning the wrong direction.  Something in the unit is jacked up.

I assume if you were to take out your batteries the fan would still spin in the correct direction using the solar panel only?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »

Got it.  Yeah, I mean, I would love to just switch the battery directions and just put it back out there, but I don't think it's worth voiding the warranty.  Also, when I take both batteries out (and leave them out) the fan then runs on solar power alone.  When I do this the fan is still spinning the wrong direction.  Something in the unit is jacked up.

I assume if you were to take out your batteries the fan would still spin in the correct direction using the solar panel only?
Yes, and you're not the first person to have this problem. Davis owes you another ISS. Personally, I'd do what I have to do to make it run right in the mean time, obviously not rewiring since you'll be returning it, but that's me.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
As I stated before, I too just bought this same station from Ryan last week and haven’t opened the package yet! All my other Davis equipment worked fine on day one, but now I feel I might have the same problem you have since we bought from the same reseller just a few days apart!

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 04:57:02 PM »

Yes, and you're not the first person to have this problem. Davis owes you another ISS. Personally, I'd do what I have to do to make it run right in the mean time, obviously not rewiring since you'll be returning it, but that's me.

It's unbelievable that Davis can get this wrong. I mean, having the fan spin the right direction is the central reasoning to getting accurate temp/humidity results.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 04:58:35 PM »
As I stated before, I too just bought this same station from Ryan last week and haven’t opened the package yet! All my other Davis equipment worked fine on day one, but now I feel I might have the same problem you have since we bought from the same reseller just a few days apart!

Open that bad boy up! Obviously you won't make the same mistake I did by not checking the fan. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »

Yes this is solid evidence it's not right.  This isn't first unit I've heard about same issue. Like you said I wonder how many with Davis 24 hr fars are running with fan spinning wrong direction.  #-o

Most wouldn't have a clue, other than a few drawings showing fan pulling air from bottom of sensor tube and exhausting out top of shield and who would expect a brand new unit would be faulty or wired wrong?
Good catch on your part for sure.
Randy

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »

Yes this is solid evidence it's not right.  This isn't first unit I've heard about same issue. Like you said I wonder how many with Davis 24 hr fars are running with fan spinning wrong direction.  #-o

Most wouldn't have a clue, other than a few drawings showing fan pulling air from bottom of sensor tube and exhausting out top of shield and who would expect a brand new unit would be faulty or wired wrong?
Good catch on your part for sure.

Yep.  So I guess the play here is to demand a new ISS?  The anemometer is fine.  I actually left it mounted outside and just taped a plastic bag around the end of the cable so it doesn't get wet.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »
Now I'm just sayin', and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but you could keep this one and go a/c like some of us have. Case fans can fit in the chamber without any evidence of it being there in case some other warranty issue came up and you had to put it back as was before sending in.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
When the batteries are in, the solar panel is not only running the fan but charging the batteries at the same time, .....

Not that it materially affects this topic, but the solar panel does not charge the batteries.
The two "C" cells, ummm, yes it does.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »

Am I cracking up, or is the black (-) wire soldered to the + (red) terminal on the motor?  That would certainly make it spin backwards no matter what the power source!!!!!
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

anything