Author Topic: Any way to make Acu-Rite 00594W accurate?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline CaptainScully

Any way to make Acu-Rite 00594W accurate?
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Greetings, All!

I've had an Acu-Rite 00594W "Professional" weather station for a few years, but the thing has never been accurate.  The clock and indoor temperature seem ok, but everything else (wind speed, exterior temp and humidity, indoor humidity, pressure) are so far off that they are pretty much useless. 

- The wind speed never showed higher than about 11 mph, even in storms.  I compared it with nearby NWS readings and my unit was always 2-10 times lower than the real speed.
- The exterior temp is a few degrees from the NWS and the exterior humidity sensor is almost always very high.
- Indoor humidity usually shows up as 16% when it is really around 60%.

I was able to get the pressure close by telling the unit that it was 400 feet higher than it really is, but does anyone know if it is possible to calibrate the other readings?  Just after I got it Chaney customer support told me to try new batteries and to double the wind reading to get it closer to the real speed, with no other suggestions.

I pretty much gave up on this sensor and stopped feeding it batteries a long time ago, but I just found this forum (full of people who are as interested in weather as me!) and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Thanks!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Any way to make Acu-Rite 00594W accurate?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »
I don't think anyone has. I had that station too a few years back. The storm that took it out produced maximum winds of 16mph! That same storm produced a tornado the town next to us, the fence blew down, shingles got torn off the roof. Some 16mph! The 00594w was a lost cause. I think that's why Acu-rite discontinued it. When my 00594 crashed good riddence. I was free of that thing.

I never really noticed anything with the outside temperature or humidity or air pressure besides the fact those items tend to drift after a few years of use. The wind speed was the only thing I really had issues with. Of course at that time I was just getting to know what accurate was, compairing my data to the PWS network on Weather Underground.

I've tryed everything I could. Just a waist of time and effort. It's not worth it. Save up for the 3 N 1 or 5 N 1.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:00:17 AM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CaptainScully

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:43:56 AM »
Have you tried one of the new 5 N 1 sensors?  I saw one at a store and was attracted by the price, but when I saw it was Acu-Rite I was afraid it would be junk like the 00594 I have.  I've seen mixed reviews, but most people seem happy with them.  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth risking buying another Acu-Rite, or saving for another brand.

Thanks

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:02:46 AM »
I havn't tryed it. I'm trying to sell them. Wxtech has done some comparison and from what I've heard all accuracy issues have been resolved. I think everything's good.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.