Author Topic: Sensor placement help  (Read 1482 times)

Offline lactardjosh

Sensor placement help
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
I recently picked up the Ambient Weather WS-2080 and I'm ready to get the sensors sited.  I'm not totally sold on the WS-2080, and as much as I wanted a Davis, compromises have to be made.  I also considered an Acurite 5 in 1, but the two I am most interested in are not available yet.  At any rate, the WS-2080 is what I settled on.  My wife has already agreed to let me upgrade to "the more expensive hardware" when this breaks down, so there's that.

So, the next step is to site the sensors.  I'm pretty limited in my options.  I live in a neighborhood with tightly packed houses, lots of tall trees (although none technically on my property), and obstructions galore.  I'm relegated to using the back yard (another compromise).  Getting up on the roof of the house is not an option for me, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I'm not a huge fan of tall ladders.

Attached is a photo of my backyard, with some measurements and sensor placements that I am considering.  I also purchased the SRS100LX radiation shield for the temp/hygro sensor.  My very first thoughts were to separate the sensors like in the image.  If it is recommended that I actually keep them together (on the garage, for example), then I might reconsider and return the WS-2080 and wait for one of the Acurite stations to become available - and in the process drive my wife completely insane.

How concerned should I be about lightning strikes if I use a metal mount for the anemometer atop the garage?  As you can see in the photo, there are plenty of taller trees and surrounding buildings.

I'm open to suggestions, thoughts, comments.
Thanks in advance for your help!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:19:57 PM by lactardjosh »

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
Re: Sensor placement help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
As you say a site with problems/
I think you may get too much rain shadow with the rain gauge there.
Though generally it should be at ground level, in a sheltered area it becomes less important so might be better attached below the anemometer.
A drawback to this idea is that the rain funnel needs attention more than any other part as it is easily blocked with tree debris.

Offline lactardjosh

Re: Sensor placement help
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
Thanks 4wd.

I'm reconsidering my purchase and may return it to get an integrated unit.  I forgot to mention that the shingles on the garage are slate.  I wasn't sure how that might affect temperature readings.

anything