Author Topic: Some night time weather photography  (Read 1075 times)

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
Some night time weather photography
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
I'm certainly no pro photographer but I do love the hobby.  Particularly night time and long exposure photography.  I feel the look the night gives us is very interesting and I enjoy capturing it.  While this photo isn't exactly weather related it was fun to go out and capture a moonset as a warm front approached from the SW about a week ago.  I like shooting at night when we are about 8 hours from a warm front passage because with the high thin clouds you never know just what effect you will get.  With this one I had a pretty good idea that the big orange moon setting through the clouds would make for atleast something interesting.   

the-sky-is-burning by EXORIMADreamer, on Flickr

This next one was actually from the first few shots of the night in Mark Twain's home town of Hannibal, Missouri.  I'd climbed "lover's leap" to try and take some shots of the milky way.  However once I got there I realized there was far too much light pollution from the city and the clouds had started to thicken up.  So I set my sights on capturing the city.  To the right in the dark is the mighty Mississippi River and you can see the lights of the bridge crossing it.  The the left is Hannibal and in the distance you can see the lights of Quincy, Illinois only about 10 miles away. 

Mark-Twain by EXORIMADreamer, on Flickr

Finally slightly more weather related.  This is from my families farm, or pretty close to it anyway.  One morning I was running to town to pick up some parts and just happened to notice this bean field turning with some fall colors of the town in the background and a pretty nice sky.  So I stopped for a quick shoot. 

Anytown America by EXORIMADreamer, on Flickr
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com