Author Topic: Plastic cutting board for a snow board?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Plastic cutting board for a snow board?
« on: September 29, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
I am planning to use a large plastic cutting board as a snow measurement board this winter.  It is 18x30x0.5"  What pros and cons can I expect from this material?  It seems like it will clean easily of snow and ice.  I was thinking of cutting 6" off of one end and using it as a rake for cleaning.  I'm planning to screw it to an open area of my deck railing and measuring it with my 10th" yardstick.  There are tree walls everywhere around here so finding an undisturbed snow field in the open is next to impossible.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Plastic cutting board for a snow board?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »

Yep...used 'em for years, especially for 'snow cams'

Painted the White one black, it simulates pavement accumulation & melting, etc well...
Also use some greens, since got a great price on 'em.
White works fine, but hard to see snow as it begins to accumulate, which is why the Black or Green.
Assuming sun hasn't "pre-heated" the boards. ... 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:20:58 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »

Yep...used 'em for years, especially for 'snow cams'

Painted the White one black, it simulates pavement accumulation & melting, etc well...
Also use some greens, since got a great price on 'em.
White works fine, but hard to see snow as it begins to accumulate, which is why the Black or Green.
Assuming sun hasn't "pre-heated" the boards. ...

What kind of paint did you use?  How is it holding up?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
I use a 24" x 24" expanded PVC sheet ¾" thick. It works well. I started out with wood, but was scraping the paint off with the spatula when I took core samples. I read somewhere where expanded PVC was used by NWS, but the local office was using a picnic table. The only problem with this is that it is getting crazy expensive. I bought a second sheet to use as my ultrasonic rangefinder target and the price went up significantly. (and shipping is expensive)

I don't see any reason why a cutting board wouldn't work. You might consider putting "stand-offs" of some kind, maybe PVC caps turned upside-down to isolate the snow board from the ground surface. (unless you are trying to do a pavement simulation like Cutty)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
I'm just trying to get a decent reading, but I take Cutty's point about not being able to see the first dusting of snow on the white surface, so I thought I would paint one corner black.  It will be interesting to see if the snow melts more readily from the cutting board plastic or the cedar deck railing.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
I started out with wood, but was scraping the paint off with the spatula when I took core samples.
Try fiberglass paneling sheets on top of it?  I got some for other uses that are smooth on one side and dimpled/pebbled on the other.  They could be glued to the plywood.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 05:15:32 PM »
Try fiberglass paneling sheets on top of it?

No I never heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Since I went right to the expanded PVC and it works well, I'll stick with it.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
Finally got my new snowboard mounted today.  Yes, I know placement isn't optimal, but I will be able to check it easily before school every morning when I check my rain gauge.  I sawed 6" off of one end of the board to use as a sweeper.  Then, per Cutty's suggestion, I painted one corner black so I can see dustings of snow.  Then I drilled the board to the railing with two 3" screws.  Pictures:

anything