Author Topic: Updated Weather Station pictures  (Read 6010 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Updated Weather Station pictures
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »
Here are some photos of my weather station. This is running a variety of One-Wire devices from AAG, Hobby-Boards and Dallas Semiconductor.

Here is a fresh picture of the AAG V3 Weather station, Dallas rain gauge, Hobby-Boards lightning detector and Weather Cam:

Temperature and Humidity:

The temperature and humidity are measured at the north end of the house. I have been running a home-built enclosure with a PC fan, PVC pipe and junction box. The fan is in the bottom and not visible in this picture. To anticipate some potential comments, I offer the following:

• Proximity to the house. I have the PVC pipe angled away from the house. This enclosure is completely in the shade at all times (which is why I picked it). The AC unit and furnace exhaust are above and away (heat rises that last time I checked  ;) )
  • I get two thumbs up from CWOP (Gladstone) QC. The data has improved since I replaced the dead fan and cleaned out the spider hairball thing inside the pipe.
  • If anything, the temperatures run lower than my peers on Wunderground. I am running a study on a separate sensor in a Davis passive shield for comparison. See the upper RH chart in the 2nd desktop screen below for an example of the comparison.

The Davis shield is mounted on a 4x4 post on my deck. The device on the angled arm is a Kemo Rain Sensor M152 (German Company).

Closeup of the Passive Shield:

And the Rain Detector:

The rain sensor is tied into a LED/switch and also locks out my lawn sprinkler system:

More stuff:

Here is the Linux box that runs all of this. The One-Wire Hub and Barometer are on the top of the case. The cables run to the outdoor sensors.

A couple of screenshots from the XW4100 running the station software (OWW from Simon Melhuish in the UK) as well as the trend plots. Desktop 1 has the barometer plotted along with the lightning detector delta counts. I found the delta counts to be the most useful display of lightning activity.

The chart is comparing the temperature sensor in the Davis shield (T3) against the aspirated enclosure temperature (Trh).

Finally, since I have no fancy display console I decided to set up a Mini-ITX PC also running SuSe Linux to feed my family room TV. This avoids constant trips to the basement to see what is going on. This is also running OWW and the trend plots for barometer and lightning. The data is however, fed from the basement machine over my LAN in real-time. I should have got a Mini-ITX with built-in HDMI in the first place, since I wound up using a VGA-HDMI scan converter to do this:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:53:07 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: Updated Weather Station pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
Nice neat setup you have there!