Author Topic: Seeking an RM Young Wind Monitor 05103  (Read 1411 times)

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
Seeking an RM Young Wind Monitor 05103
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
I'm not sure I'm ready to bite on one yet, but does anyone have an 05103 out there that they're considering selling? I've seen used surplus ones on eBay for a few hundred USD, but I'm afraid of acquiring a brick. A working Davis UAI would be a plus too. Feel free to PM me if you've got one you're willing to part with. I may be able to get one through work and write it off, but if the price is right here I wouldn't mind that either.

Thanks.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Seeking an RM Young Wind Monitor 05103
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
There is a 6336 on ebay right now used, for about $40, or was a bit ago.

New ones are 150 or so.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »
Davis 6336 is discontinued and would be hard pressed to buy a new one as they have not been made for about 4-5 years. Davis did have a couple left not so long ago but not showing any longer. Based on new installation costs of a say a 6336 and compatible Young unit there is perhaps some better options these days but once into this category nothing is cheap.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
the only 'new' 6336s out there are in someone's inventory, I guess.

Scaled Instruments had one earlier this year, and admittedly the demand would be low.

One of the contributors here has a 5103 hooked up through one and at least a year or two ago loved it.

there was discussion as to the responsiveness of the propeller vs. cups, with the cups never having to orient into the wind, but the 5013 is a solid performer with a boatload of uses in marine, NOAA and other locations.  Plus they are very neat to watch.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
there was discussion as to the responsiveness of the propeller vs. cups, with the cups never having to orient into the wind
Thanks for this tidbit...

https://www.awstruepower.com/assets/PerformanceofaPropellerVaneComparedtoTwoCupAnemometers.pdf

That study found that the RMY prop anemometer did record lower wind speeds than cup anemometers. I guess those impressive wind monitor specs look nice and shiny through a wind tunnel test, but in a real world environment it may not be worth the extra cost over a Davis. I'll probably just save my money and get myself a new Davis anemometer.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »
I have seen my RMY turned into the wind with the "propeller" spinning when the Davis set is as dead as a door-nail. Both the vane and prop respond to very light winds that will not turn the vane or cups on the Davis. I have them mounted right next to each other on the same mast, so the comparison is valid.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything