Author Topic: Ready for my first computer build  (Read 7996 times)

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: Ready for my first computer build
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
$389 from newegg plus a $10 rebate I went big on memory and GPU mainly for after effects and cinema 4d

Thanks. Thinking about getting the same one as a gift to myself for Xmas. I went big on ram also. I got 16. Did you load the OS on the SSD?

Yep I put a SSD on my laptop about 6 months ago so I was familiar with setting it up I have all my Docs Pictures ect on my 3TB black
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Ryan

I have one question I watched a video on installing the H100i and it seemed like the thermal paste was pre-applied Do you know if that is correct? That type of thing I tend to make a mess of, I am also the worlds worst caulker.
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »
Just answered my own question the specs at the bottom of this page http://www.corsair.com/us/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html says Thermal compound (pre-applied).

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
Ryan

I have one question I watched a video on installing the H100i and it seemed like the thermal paste was pre-applied Do you know if that is correct? That type of thing I tend to make a mess of, I am also the worlds worst caulker.

That's correct. What I plan on doing is removing the paste with a q-tip and alcohol. Then adding my own Arctic Silver  paste that I have here. When you change it you will have paste on your CPU that needs to come off before installing the h100i. A q-tip and alcohol works great then I get the remaing off with a cotton ball or an old sock. Here is what I'm using. It's the best of the best in my book. Over 6 thousand reviews and all 5 eggs. Next your going to sleeve cables like I did to make everything match your color scheme.  HaHa.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:21:33 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 12:26:15 AM »
A coffee filter works great on the final passes. Lens paper is another good/better choice. Reduces the lint factor. You want no lint at all. No fingerprints, water drops, oils, lint, nothing but pure surface-paste-surface.

When you want to remove the thermal pad on the heat sink, you might want to consider a "scraper" of sorts to CAREFULLY push the bulk of it off and follow with a good cleaning using a filter or lens paper. DO NOT scratch the surface so be careful with that method.

Back in the day, I used to hand lap the heat sinks on extremely fine wet sand paper immersed in water on a flat piece of glass. Following with a light tinting is still a good idea.

A good guide to read: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

Good looking build, "Gootch"!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
A coffee filter works great on the final passes. Lens paper is another good/better choice. Reduces the lint factor. You want no lint at all. No fingerprints, water drops, oils, lint, nothing but pure surface-paste-surface.

When you want to remove the thermal pad on the heat sink, you might want to consider a "scraper" of sorts to CAREFULLY push the bulk of it off and follow with a good cleaning using a filter or lens paper. DO NOT scratch the surface so be careful with that method.

Back in the day, I used to hand lap the heat sinks on extremely fine wet sand paper immersed in water on a flat piece of glass. Following with a light tinting is still a good idea.

A good guide to read: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

Good looking build, "Gootch"!

Thanks for the info and link cooler should be here Monday. I plan on posting pictures when everything is done.

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
I hope yours fits. My ram slots are too far at the top on my MB that my fans for the radiator wouldn't fit. I was in KC for my fiancés surgery and went to Micro Center and picked up the Corsair H80i. Going to RMA the h100i to Newegg tommorrow. I love it!! Got it installed and a few other toys. I will post on my PC thread so I don't hijack yours. Just wanted to mention about my MB.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:21:29 AM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:35 AM »
Mine arrives today it looks like I should have plenty of room but the devil is in the details. Hopefully everything will go well and then overclocking!
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: Ready for my first computer build With H100i Installed
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
Well I got the H100i Installed without too many problems my fat fingers being the biggest problem. Everything seems to be running well my temps are way down didnt go above 52C running Prime95. Here are a couple of pictures, and this link for the high-res versions http://www.sunprairieweather.com/haswell-large.html. Thanks for the help and suggestions. You cant see the Hard Drives with the cover on.

Happy New Year To All Andy

~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
Looks good. Only thing I see wrong is the fans are backwards. Flip the fans on the rad and your exhaust fan around so you will blow the air out of the case. They are set as intake now. I got my h80i installed in my case. Check out my PC project thread. Is that the Corsair SP120 fan on the rear exhaust?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »
Looks good. Only thing I see wrong is the fans are backwards. Flip the fans on the rad and your exhaust fan around so you will blow the air out of the case. They are set as intake now. I got my h80i installed in my case. Check out my PC project thread. Is that the Corsair SP120 fan on the rear exhaust?

Hi Ryan

Thanks for taking a look. The reason I mounted them as a air intake is the manual and Corsair you tube video both said to mount as air intake if you have a exhaust fan. So that's what I did? Your computer looks AWESOME! The wiring really looks nice I was thinking of getting some different wiring for mine but it would never look as good as yours. That type of thing is not my strong suit.

Thanks Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
Oh ok. Every picture I've seen of the coolers all have it blowing air out. So how is the how air getting out of your case? Where is the heat from the GPU going? Thanks for the compliment on my PC.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »
Oh ok. Every picture I've seen of the coolers all have it blowing air out. So how is the how air getting out of your case? Where is the heat from the GPU going? Thanks for the compliment on my PC.

The GPU is exhausting directly out the back of the case via the GPU Fan and the 120mm fan in the back of the case is blowing out.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
Here is a link to the manual http://www.corsair.com/us/media/cms/manual/49-000175_rev_AB_H100i_QSG_web.pdf step 1 is where it says to set the fans up as an air intake.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Here is a link to the manual http://www.corsair.com/us/media/cms/manual/49-000175_rev_AB_H100i_QSG_web.pdf step 1 is where it says to set the fans up as an air intake.

I've seen that too. I just have mine set up differently. I have 7 fans in my PC.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 02:19:35 AM »

I've seen that too. I just have mine set up differently. I have 7 fans in my PC.

Yeah, the idea is pull the (assumed) cooler ambient air over the rad instead of the hotter case air. Makes sense in order to post lower numbers and with the fact that the CPU is no longer fanned amidst the hotter air that would necessitate the exhaust being "solid". Not much radiant heat in the closed-loop compared to the fanned CPU concept and it's always being cooled down at the rad. Same basic concept as a vehicle.

With my two, I have the 600T case exhausting with a push-pull on the rear-mount radiator with the large top fan exhaust, large front fan intake and mesh side panel. On the AMD build, I have it pulling ambient intake over the front-mounted rad but the rear fan is stronger than the the front so the negative pressure helps the intake and the out-flow of the warmer case air with an HD7750 graphics card.

Boy, that SaberTooth is pretty! Nice build!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »
I have 2 fans in front my case as intake. Right behind those is another fan pulling air from the two fans for more intake in the case. Two fans on top are exhaust and fans on rad and rear are also exhaust. So as Pat noted I'm actually pulling a lot of air into my case over the rad ad GPU then exiting the hot air from on top and rear.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:58:26 AM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline butchr

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 10:42:41 AM »
Super Clean. There is beauty in simplicity.  =D>

Butch R

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: Ready for my first computer build and already drilled holes in my case
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
Well I have had my new computer for 3 weeks now and decided it was high time to drill some holes in it. I installed a new front fan (Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 - Sleeve Bearing 200mm Blue LED) I had to move the drive cage about a 1/2 inch for clearance. I have some led strip lighting on order but UPS has delayed my shipment they say "Network disruption due to prior weather conditions, check ups.com for further updates" must be some serious weather "conditions" for a 2 day delay. I made this Time Lapse "Winter Solstice" http://www.agtimelapse.com/ Much faster and less waiting with my workflow on my new computer.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:28:33 PM by Gootch »
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »
Had to mess with it huh? :lol: I got a big 200mm fan that came stock on the side of my case that I'm not using since I made a window. That thing is huge! Is that the Corsair SP 120 fan on the rear?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:13:39 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:04 AM »
Yep had to mess with it. The rear fan is a Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
Yep had to mess with it. The rear fan is a Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition.

Ok. Main reason why I was asking is that I have the same fans and my ring is facing towards the case on the rear. You stated that your rear fan on the back is blowing air out? It's blowing air in. Just thought I'd let you know.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
Yes you are right I changed the flow since picture was taken. Thanks.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Yes you are right I changed the flow since picture was taken. Thanks.

Awesome. What kind of led strip did you get?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
I got a NZXT CB-LED20-BU 2-Metres Light Sensitivity Sleeved LED Kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046Y5Z5G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I liked the idea of being able to dim easily-didnt like the idea of a card and more visible wires but at $15 not the end of the world if I don't like it. Did you see my Timelapse "Winter Solstice" http://www.agtimelapse.com/much faster workflow with the new computer.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS