Author Topic: Wind Speed graph Issue  (Read 1031 times)

Offline kg4ooz

Wind Speed graph Issue
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
I am using a Strip chart to display the last 300 points of data for wind speed.  The scale does not speed to re scale when the winds die down.  The scale will grow as the gusts become higher but as the high wind speeds filter out of the graph it does not scale down.  The only way I can get the graph to re scale is to close and reopen VWS.

I tried to use a regular graph to display my wind speed but it seems to use an averaged speed for the data and it will not allow me to display less than 1 hour of time.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Re: Wind Speed graph Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
Probably not the answer your looking for, but a suggestion on how to best (in my opinion) use the graphs.

I only use auto-scaling on a few graphs, for everything else I use a scale appropriate to my climate (example: 30.02" is the long term average pressure at my location, so I have it as the center of my pressure graph).

I have always viewed graphs as being something I can glance at quickly to get a view of the current conditions, without having to study the graph carefully.

Wind Speed would be the best example of this. If it's a fairly calm day I don't want a 3 MPH wind gust reaching the top of my graph, I want it to show as a small ripple across the bottom.

I do use auto-scale for my cumulative rainfall graphs and my 24 pressure graph.

My wind speed strip chart is on this page: http://www.lfweathercenter.com/graphics4.htm
Since it's currently calm, I've attached an example from the past.

Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network