Author Topic: Here we go again with Gust issues  (Read 1781 times)

Offline n1naz

Here we go again with Gust issues
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:13 PM »
Hello
My Davis Pro 2 shows a gust today of 24 mph at 16:05 today, but VWS is showing only 15 mph for that same time and reports that to various weather sites. My obvious question is how come VWS is showing 15 and not 24?

The Advanced setting for wind gust in VWS is set to
Gus samples 30
Filtered Average 60 min
Max wind speed in data base update period  (30 min)

Any help would be great

George

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
Re: Here we go again with Gust issues
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
I hope someone has the answer, it's eluded me so far, I have graphs which usually don't show true gusts, but the tags do so the site is in conflict with itself and all the data is coming from the same db.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:22 PM »
There can be a few things at work here.

The first one is, exactly what wind is the graph showing? Instantaneous wind, average wind (anything up to 10 minutes)?

The second is sampling error. How often does VWS store the wind data in the DB? If it's once a minute, then you miss wind gusts that happen in between the one minute data base writes.

That's one reason there is a separate wind gust entry.

Another possibility is data aliasing for graph generation. I suppose different packages handle it differently, but here is my experience.

Assume that the data is stored every minute. That's 1440 records per day. But the standard VWS graph image is only 300 pixels wide, and of that, the graph is only about 245 pixels wide.

If you try to plot 1440 dots on a 245 dot wide graph, it gets very ugly. (Been there, done that developing WeatherElement.) So, you need to somehow reduce the number of data points plotted on the graph.

1440/245 is ~5.8. rounding up, there's only room on the graph for about 1 of every 6 data points in the database.

Here's a graph of wind speed from a database of every one minute:

Here's the same database, same station 10 minute average:

And, the wind gust (highest wind measures in a 10 minute period, banging on the VP2 every 2.5 seconds looking for the highest wind):

I wrote the code for those graphs, so I know that the DB is sampled by dividing the number of points in the DB by the number of pixels in the graph (x), and then using every xth data point to plot the graph.

for the same VP2 station and same time span, here are VWS graphs for wind speed:

and gust:

Clearly VWS does some data manipulation to make cleaner graphs than we have figured out how to do.

Offline n1naz

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
So I would imagine this is true for the digital readouts also. I have a Peak daily High gust readout and it didn't show the 24 MPH gust that the console showed Either.

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
I have having the same issue with my Davis VP2 and VWS v15p05.  Did you happen to find a way to solve your issue?

anything