Author Topic: WU Keeps Dropping My Station  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
WU Keeps Dropping My Station
« on: January 09, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
  I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and could give me a few tips on what I could do, if anything, to resolve the problem. Over the past month, Weather Underground has dropped my live streaming data from their site. My station doesn't show up on the Wundermap, and my weather stickers don't show data when this happens. The stickers just show NaN for data.
  The weird thing is on the classic wunderground site, my data continues to upload fine except again to the weather stickers and wunderground, but doesn't upload to the new version of WU.
  I contacted support, and they said the reason it drops off the Wundermap and the stickers show NaN is because they are not receiving data from my station. I know this is not true though because like I said, the classic wunderground site still shows my data being updated when I refresh the page. Also, I am running a new Davis Vantage Pro2 station and am using Virtual Weather Station version 14.01, and all of the data continues to update correctly from the station onto the software.
  I can't quite figure out why this does this. My station had no connection issues, and my software continues to say that it is updating properly, so I imagine it is something on WU's side that I can't fix, but they are saying it is because the data stops sending to my wunderground site. Every time this happens I just contact support, and within a couple hours of me sending a message to them everything begins updating. Weird, and I can't figure it out!  ](*,)

- Matt

Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WU Keeps Dropping My Station
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »
I just checked your station (KMETURNE6) on WU and all appears normal. The uploads are approx. every 5 minutes. Perhaps it's a problem with your Internet browser.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
I just checked your station (KMETURNE6) on WU and all appears normal. The uploads are approx. every 5 minutes. Perhaps it's a problem with your Internet browser.

Thanks for the response jackman. It is uploading fine right now, but this is after it was just dropped randomly for the third time this month last night around 8:30PM. I contacted them last night and it was up and running again around 11:00PM. The data doesn't show like anything was missing, but the updating wasn't working. My guess is it will be dropped again at some point in the next week or so, but then again maybe not. If I just knew what the problem was I could fix the problem so it doesn't keep happening.
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
This happens to people all the time.    There is probably nothing you can do.     I think it is because the way the WU servers read data at different intervals on different servers.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:29 PM »
This happens to people all the time.    There is probably nothing you can do.     I think it is because the way the WU servers read data at different intervals on different servers.
That's what I was thinking and was worried it was nothing I could resolve, but glad to hear that it's not just my station that is having/has had problems related to this in the past.
Thanks Beaudog! I guess I'll just hope for the best from hear out!
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
I concur with Beaudog. I've experienced lots of problems with WU and it's nearly always on the server side. You should not fret over it.

On another note I'm also using WLIP so I can always check to see if the data is getting to Davis. Davis then also uploads to WU. If it's still not getting posted on the WU servers then you certainly know the problem is on their end.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:53 PM »
I concur with Beaudog. I've experienced lots of problems with WU and it's nearly always on the server side. You should not fret over it.

On another note I'm also using WLIP so I can always check to see if the data is getting to Davis. Davis then also uploads to WU. If it's still not getting posted on the WU servers then you certainly know the problem is on their end.
I'm glad to hear that it's most likely not a problem on my end! I almost got the WLIP version, but ended up getting the USB version instead. It doesn't upload directly to weather underground itself so that's why I have to use my Virtual Weather station software I already had installed on my computer. If I had the WLIP version I'd definitely try out your tip! I don't think there is a way to do this with the USB version, but I may be wrong. It must have to be a version that uploads to WU directly in order to check this.
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:08:40 PM »
My station drops off the Wundermap from time to time.  Usually it's back up in a couple hours.  I've tried to figure any rhyme or reason why it happens but I haven't found a pattern yet.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
My station drops off the Wundermap from time to time.  Usually it's back up in a couple hours.  I've tried to figure any rhyme or reason why it happens but I haven't found a pattern yet.
Ya sounds exactly like my situation. The only part of it that stinks is I run the large weather underground weather sticker on my website for my live streaming conditions, so when this happens my data goes down for a few hours. Like you said though, it is usually only down for a couple hours at a time, so I guess it isn't too bad. Still odd, especially considering the same thing is happening to others too!
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline doabbs

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »
I'm running into the same problem with my station, KNHMILTO4.  The station is uploading fine and all the data is there if you go to the page for the station.  However, randomly it just gets dumped from the WunderMap and if you search for my zip code it grabs the next closest station. 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »
they do that with my web cams.  I am guessing this, when their polling device or method checks, if we are out of sync between new image and old image, it drops the camera. 

anything