Author Topic: StartWatch 0.7.1 released  (Read 9817 times)

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
StartWatch 0.7.1 released
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:42:21 PM »
StartWatch v. 0.7.1 is now available
http://www.softwx.com/windows/startwatch.html

I'll now be working on updating the manual to match the current features. When that's done, I'll release StartWatch as v. 1.0.0.

Whats new in 0.7.1
* Sometimes StartWatch didn't detect that a port that had gone down had come back up. Made some changes to fix this.
* Made further tunings to algorithm that detects which of a program's windows is the best one to receive the close message.
* Fixed bug that allowed unwanted characters into the alerts, causing the alerts display to be blank.
* Additional information is written to alerts having to do with program hangs, cpu hogging, and exceeding memory limit.
* No longer send a minimize message if a program ignores initial request for it to start minimized. This feature sometimes caused programs to get into weird states since they often received the message while still initializing.
* Added slider control to program options window. The slider is associated with the Hang Protection check box, and allows you to control the sensitivity of the hang protection. Low sensitivity means the program can be unresponsive for a long time before being tagged as "hung". High sensitivity means the program will be    tagged as "hung after only a brief period of time in an unresponsive state.
* Added 2 seconds option to the Check Interval setting.
* Fixed bug that used the check interval during program startup. Between the time StartWatch starts the program and when the program first responds, StartWatch is supposed to check frequently, and only used the check interval after the program has begun responding. This was most noticeable when the check interval was long.

Steve

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: StartWatch 0.7.1 released
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:02:59 AM »
Quote from: "tinplate"
* Sometimes StartWatch didn't detect that a port that had gone down had come back up. Made some changes to fix this.

So far so good on this one.  I've rebooted and also disconnected and reconnected Virtual VP several times and the port monitor comes back up everytime VirtulVP is running.  8)

* No longer send a minimize message if a program ignores initial request for it to start minimized. This feature sometimes caused programs to get into weird states since they often received the message while still initializing.

WeatherLink will not minimize either in or out of bulletin mode for me.  Where as the last version it would minimize only with bulletin mode off.

But I think I can manage to click the minimize button without too much strain.   :wink:  

I agree, it's better that way then causing more serious problems elsewhere.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
    • http://veronaweather.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 01:07:48 AM »
New version installed and just registered. Don't forget reged users of VirtualVP get a discount only $19 thanks to Steve's keene eye recognizing my name in the purchase and his honesty I got a $6 refund.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 01:11:36 AM »
Hey Mark, have you tried delaying the startup of WeatherLink by say one minute from the previously started program dependency just to give your system time to settle in after a reboot. I know you have commented on how slow your machine is just wondering if the minimize request might be getting missed due to over activity.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"
Hey Mark, have you tried delaying the startup of WeatherLink by say one minute from the previously started program dependency just to give your system time to settle in after a reboot. I know you have commented on how slow your machine is just wondering if the minimize request might be getting missed due to over activity.

I tried that a few versions back but not recently.  Might be worth revisiting that possibility again.    :-k

I could also try making VPLive the only one monitoring the port and set a time delay for the rest based on when it and each additional one shows running.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks Steve,  
I noticed that the response is much faster detecting state of running programs. Also the slider should help reduce the number of restarts by WsWin32.
No problem here with minimizing Weatherlink in Bulletin mode.
I have VPLive start first and download Weatherlink archive then WL starts two minutes later.

-Ingo

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
Mark,

WeatherLink minimizes fine for me too. Which version of windows are you running?

Steve

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 02:34:32 PM »
Mark,

WeatherLink minimizes fine for me too. Which version of windows are you running?

Steve

Windows XP Home 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Originally I had 98SE then upgraded to XP on this machine.  I've had several quirks show up after the upgrade which was over a year ago now.  Knowing what I know now I probably should have done a reinstall instead of the upgrade as I've most likely spent more time working on the little quirks then it would have taken me to start from scratch.  

Also I've found if I set in the shortcut properties to start minimize for WeatherLink.exe it more often then not will not minimize.  Offcourse StartWatch is not involved at all when I start it that way.  Changing the start delay did not make any difference.

Back on the subject of the port monitor, I did find a way to get it to show red while VirtualVP was running a couple of times.  It's when I run the forecast ticker on the console causing a brief disconnect of Virtual VP.  So far that's the only way I can get it to act up with the 0.7.1 release.  I currently have the port monitor interval set to 5 seconds.  When I get a chance I was going to lengthen that and see what happens thinking a longer interval might allow it to ignore the minor cutout of the port.

I did go into ZoneAlarm and check things there.  The port shows as a Loopback Adapter.  It is set to the "Trusted Zone"  and I did try it with the firewall completely off for that zone.  So I think I've eliminated the problem being there.  But to be absolutely sure I suppose I would have to uninstall Zone Alarm.   :-k

Oh well, that's the way Windows crumbles.   #-o :lol:
Mark 

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
Does StartWatch point to the WeatherLink exe file or does it point to a batch file that runs WeatherLink? If it points to a batch file then WeatherLink won't get StartWatch's minimize suggestion, the batch file command window will. Also, StartWatch will be monitoring the cpu and memory use of the batch file command window, not the program the batch file runs.

Regarding the port, I would like to find out why it cuts out. But that is a different problem than the one I fixed in the latest version. The problem I fixed (I hope) is one where the port would go red when the port really did go down, but after the port came back up, StartWatch would not detect it, and just keep showing it as red. Having the port go down briefly while because of other stuff going on in the system is something else, and one I wasn't aware of. It was probably reported, but I mistook it for the same problem.

I think I can fix what you're seeing (if I understand you correctly).

Steve

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »
Does StartWatch point to the WeatherLink exe file or does it point to a batch file that runs WeatherLink? If it points to a batch file then WeatherLink won't get StartWatch's minimize suggestion, the batch file command window will. Also, StartWatch will be monitoring the cpu and memory use of the batch file command window, not the program the batch file runs.

I have StartWatch pointed directly to C:WeatherLink\WeatherLink57.exe

Regarding the port, I would like to find out why it cuts out. But that is a different problem than the one I fixed in the latest version. The problem I fixed (I hope) is one where the port would go red when the port really did go down, but after the port came back up, StartWatch would not detect it, and just keep showing it as red. Having the port go down briefly while because of other stuff going on in the system is something else, and one I wasn't aware of. It was probably reported, but I mistook it for the same problem.

I think I can fix what you're seeing (if I understand you correctly).

Steve

Update, not a StartWatch port monitoring problem.  It's in Virtual VP.  To test I reconfigured StartWatch to allow the programs to continue to run even if the port monitor showed red and cleared all alerts and logs of both it and VirtualVP.  Below is a screenshot of what happened after I run the forecast ticker on the console at 4:58pm our time.  Also note the reading on my clock next to the start Windows button when I took the screenshot. (5:12pm) See further notes below screenshot...

I think I was seeing both issues originally.  Probably why I'm only seeing this now after running the forecast ticker on the console since it appears you solved the one in StartWatch.  After seeing the above in VirtualVP I clicked on disconnect, then reconnect, port monitor went back to geen, programs all started receiving data again.  VirtualVP's alerts file is empty, below is the only thing showing in the log file:

11/23/2006 16:58:19:458 Error        - VpConsole: Several consecutive failures of console to respond. Will try to reconnect.

And here's what shown in VirtualVP's activity file:

16:58:15:051 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
16:58:16:253 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
16:58:18:256 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data
16:58:19:458 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
16:58:19:458 Error        - VpConsole: Several consecutive failures of console to respond. Will try to reconnect.
16:58:21:040 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
16:58:23:033 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data
16:58:23:153 Warning      - VpConsole: Far too long since last loop = 10.335, last command= Get Live Sensor Data

Running VirtualVP 1.1.3.20
Mark 

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 07:28:31 PM »
Ok, It all makes sense now. The problem is actually a "feature" of the VP console. There are several interactions you can have with the console that cause the console to stop any serial communications. Using the console buttons to calibrate a sensor (like the barometer) is an example. Pushing the forecast button is another one. All serial comm stops until the forecast stops scrolling. As a simple test, to show this was not unique to VirtualVP, I connected weatherlink directly to the console without virtualVP in the middle. Then I went to the configuration screen where you set the COM port weatherlink uses. I pushed the forecast button on the console and then clicked on the Test button on the weatherlink configuration screen. Weatherlink came back with the error that says there was no VP found. After the forecast ticker was done scrolling, the test button found the VP.

When VirtualVP loses its connection (i.e. when there is no response from the console), it does several things. It retries the wakeup command several times, and if that doesn't work, it disconnects from the serial port, reconnects and tries several more times. If that doesn't work, then it goes into a mode where it disconnects from the COM port and then tries to connect and wake up the console every 30 seconds.

In the meantime, when the connection is first lost, it continues sending data to the connected weather programs, but just sends the most recent data it has from its cache. It does this with the hope that it can reconnect soon, and the connected weather programs will never know what happened. But loop data has a short shelf life, so after 10 seconds, it stops sending data (which is what the console has done). And when it goes into the try every 30 seconds mode, it closes the ports since there is no data to communicate.

The ticker can take 17 seconds or so to finish, so that's a pretty long time to have a seemingly dead console. I'm not sure what the best balance of timing is. If the console connection has really gone south (like when the USB driver bellies up), it would be good for VirtualVP to start its correction strategies as soon as possible. On the other hand, if the console is simply hanging out while the user pushes buttons, it would be better if VirtualVP didn't launch right into panic mode. But there is no way for VirtualVP to tell one scenario from another.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Steve

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
In other words I should just keep my fingers off the console while it's connected to the computer.   :mrgreen:

Ok, so it goes back again to the processor being a bit "underpowered" so to speak when trying to handle multiple tasks.   I know this has showed up with reports of lower ISS reception when "retransmit" is turned on or if a connected program locks or wants too much data at one time.

Makes sense and I see your timing dilemma.  Shame Davis did not put something in the data stream to indicate "I'm too busy to talk now, callback in xx seconds".   :lol:

Good news, I got WeatherLink to minimize repeatedly.  I think it's something to do with Windows recalling the last known window state.  I found if Weatherlink is not in full screen mode before it is shutdown, when StartWatch starts WeatherLink it will minimize everytime.  By not in full screen mode I don't mean minimized to the task bar, I mean less than full screen window.  Whether it is minimized or not to the task bar at shutdown has no effect.  The size of the window the last time you viewed it is what makes the difference.

UU
Mark 

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
....When VirtualVP loses its connection (i.e. when there is no response from the console), it does several things. It retries the wakeup command several times, and if that doesn't work, it disconnects from the serial port, reconnects and tries several more times. If that doesn't work, then it goes into a mode where it disconnects from the COM port and then tries to connect and wake up the console every 30 seconds.
....Steve

Just had a thought about an additional feature to StartWatch.  How about an option where when the port on Virtual VP is down for a user selectable amount of time, say 5 minutes, it will restart Virtual VP or another specified program in the list?

That would effectively do what I did (click disconnect and reconnect in VirtualVP) when VirtualVP failed to reconnect connect after 14 minutes as shown in my screenshot.

Kind of a last ditch effort to get the connection back.

Currently we can shutdown a program when the port goes down but not restart a program that like Virtual VP may be the one sending data on the port.
Mark 

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 11:19:26 PM »
I think, if what I see on your screenshot is correct, there is a bug in VirtualVP. After it loses connection, it already continuously tries to reconnect. And if it is eventually successful, it is supposed to reopen all the client connections and ports. In your screenshot it looks like VirtualVP reconnected to the console, but did not reopen the virtual ports. That is not how it's supposed to work.

Steve

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 12:07:34 AM »
....In your screenshot it looks like VirtualVP reconnected to the console, but did not reopen the virtual ports. That is not how it's supposed to work.

Steve

Hmm, now that you mentioned it and looking again at the screenshot it does show it reconnected.  And I did have to click "disconnect" and then "reconnect" to get it working.  Seems like it did not know it was connected.  That might be something new with this latest version.  I tried the same forecast ticker test last version and it worked Ok, and posted about it in the thread linked below.  I did run into a similar issue in versions previous to 1.1.2.  But in those versions I don't think it reconnected at all.  

http://www.wxforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=269
Mark 

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
Mark,
 Now that we've established that this issue we've discussed is a VirtualVP issue, not a StartWatch issue, look there (the VirtualVP 1.1.3 announcement thread) for a continuation of the discussion.

Steve

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 05:50:31 PM »
Hi Steve,

Have another issue that came up regarding the alerts.txt file but a different symtom than we've seen in the past.

Look here:

SW is saying that the port is already in use but it starts VirtualVP and it connects ok to the console. Also I start WeatherLink manually and it also connects ok. I have to delete the alerts.txt file and restart SW.

I'm sending a copy of the alerts.txt file to you via email.

Thanks

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »
Quote from: "Ravenstar"
Hi Steve,

Have another issue that came up regarding the alerts.txt file but a different symtom than we've seen in the past.....

You running the latest Virtual VP 1.1.4?
Mark 

Offline Ravenstar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »
1.1.3 but Steve already replied, sees a problem in the alerts.txt file from SW, gonna be fixed next release. I'll upgrade VirtualVP meanwhile thanks for the heads up.

Vantage pro 2 (wireless)

anything