Author Topic: VVP won't run after last night's Window's update.  (Read 6343 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
VVP won't run after last night's Window's update.
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:18 AM »
When I come in and see that windows has updated my computer, it frustrating.  I have to restart everything.

But today when I do that, VVP is not running correctly.  It's not connecting to my weather console.
If this has happened in the past, I simply rebooted the computer again, and all worked well.

Not this time.  What could be wrong with it?  My Virtual Weather Station and Cumulus are not being supplied with data.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: VVP won't run after last night's Window's update.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
Check to see if the com port changed. It should not have but strange things happen.

Also some of the latest updates changed the firewall settings check to be sure the firewall is not blocking it.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »
My VVP works just fine after the update. What version of Windows are you running? I'm on Win7 Ultimate 32-bit.

The part I don't like is that even though I have windows set so I make the decision as to when and if I want to install an update, all three of my Win7 machines installed automatically without me doing anything!! Has anyone else seen this behavior? All three were sitting there this morning waiting for me to sign-in after the post-install reboot.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »
I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.

I have restarted windows a couple of times.  The first few "consoles" are showing red, and the software is not communicating.
It worked fine yesterday.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
I blundered into this problem yesterday as well.  It turns out that Microsoft apparently disabled our ability to run unsigned drivers with their latest update, thereby closing a security hole.  I found a signed 64-bit version of com0com via Google, downloaded it and struggled to install it until I COMPLETELY uninstalled the unsigned com0com version, rebooted, and then installed the signed version, after which I reinstalled my port pairs.

The port pairs need to be redefined as comxx<->comx from the default by unchecking all boxes and then applying the changes.  Remember the higher number of the pair goes on the left.  The attached screenshots show the functioning devices and the setup.

The VVP on my Windows 32-bit system just kept right on trucking.  The problem only affects the 64-bit version.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:38:04 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »
Check to see if the com port changed. It should not have but strange things happen.

Also some of the latest updates changed the firewall settings check to be sure the firewall is not blocking it.

Win8.1 "upgrade" completely broke my USB hub. I tried all kinds of tricks to get it working again to no avail. I ended up buying a 4 port USB PCI card and installing their drivers, not Windows. Then I connected the hubs to the new card's ports. It all works now since I did this. (and survived subsequent updates)

I would not be surprised in the least that they did this to Win7 as well.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
wow, that's complicated.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft.

I have a system restore point from Oct. 14.  If I went back there, would Windows just reinstall the update?

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
wow, that's complicated.
Not really.  Only the com0com setup needs to be used.  The emulated ports appear automatically in the 'Device Manager' when you use the setup utility.  I included that shot to illustrate a successful installation.
Thanks a lot, Microsoft.
Agreed!
I have a system restore point from Oct. 14.  If I went back there, would Windows just reinstall the update?
Only if you allowed it to.  I couldn't roll back, so I had to find a signed driver solution.  I don't know which of the updates broke the unsigned com0com driver, and not knowing that you might be stuck without some further critical updates.  I think a signed driver is the best solution.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
The com o com ports should not effect VVP connecting to the console.   that is a separate thing. VVP should still work using TCP even with no Com o com drivers at all.

I am installing the updates now   will see what happens   win 7 32.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 11:58:17 AM »
The com o com ports should not effect VVP connecting to the console.   that is a separate thing. VVP should still work using TCP even with no Com o com drivers at all.
Actually, my 64 bit Windows 7 setup connects to VVP on the 32 bit Windows machine via TCP.  Connecting Weather Link and Weather Display via TCP is possible, but much slower than using com0com emulated serial ports in my setup.  This is very annoying anytime I restart either of these programs because the 'catchup' of values can include all of the contents of the data logger.  The serial port emulation is much faster here.
I am installing the updates now   will see what happens   win 7 32.
You will have no problems with Windows 7 32 bit updates and VVP.

I just used an administrator-enabled command prompt on this Windows 7 64-bit machine to run 'bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF' and rebooted.  All is well with this computer that feeds my primary web site.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
well, if the computer software programmers reach a consensus, please let me know.

As an average Windows user, I am dead in the water.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
Installed updates all is well.

Did you check the com port?      Do you WL on the computer? if so run it and let it find the correct com port.    Then put that one into VVP.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
Installed updates all is well.

Did you check the com port?      Do you WL on the computer? if so run it and let it find the correct com port.    Then put that one into VVP.

What is "WL"?  VVP was set on port 3.  I tried switching it to others, there are a great many of them.

How does it "find" the correct port?  I feel dumb, but this software (with lots of help from you) ran great for over a year.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
Check the 'Activity' and 'Alerts' at the bottom of the VVP window for clues.

I wonder exactly who is affected by this Windows Update, because I have another setup that runs a Vantage Vue (a backup in case my Vantage pro2+ craps out) on another Windows 7 64-bit machine that WASN'T hosed by the update.  To be safe I just updated com0com on this machine to the signed version and successfully exited test mode.  This VVP accesses a USB data logger on a Weather Envoy.  The Vue console is upstairs by my recliner.  WL (Weather Link) is set up to access a SERIAL PORT, com7, that VVP drives from the USB on Com3.  Meanwhile WD (Weather Display) accesses the same data via VVP on com6.  The com0com setup on this machine is identical to the one I illustrated above.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:10:38 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
Well, I rolled back my computer to the day before yesterday.

After doing that, probably not really the correct thing to do, VVP started normally.  So it was for sure something in that windows update.

Also, on the "old" version of windows, my Google Chrome browser won't work, no doubt they updated to be compatible with the Microsoft change.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here.  Perhaps now I can at least think about it while meantime my weather data is flowing normally.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
I see on VWS now that it is set on "port 7".  After the update, it had been on Port 3.

If I allow the updates so browsers and such things will work, then reassign Port 7, might that work?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Yes that what I was telling you to so.  WL =weather link  It has an auto find correct com port feature.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
Yes that what I was telling you to so.  WL =weather link  It has an auto find correct com port feature.

Ok, thank you.  You got me set up the first time around so obviously you know what you're talking about.

Was it really the "unsigned driver" that caused the upset?  I figured that eventually, something would come along to topple my set up.
I do believe it was something in that windows update.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
Ok, here is how it's looks right now, working after taking window back 2 days.

When I allow the update, and VVP doesn't work, what should be changed?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
µshaft autoupdates....   Use restore.. roll 'em all back... add one at a time, or something, ... there was an update back eariier this year, for e.g.  that really screwed up flash player... I found it, and resolved it on Win8, but cannot find the solution for Win7... µShaft must have rolled it into a 'cumulative' which I haven't discovered...
anyway...
One secret is to "Don't install"..."notify me to install updates",,, then you get a choice,.,,, 

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
This is just one more reason I turned updates off on my weather machine. It gets updated 3 or 4 times a year.  Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
This is just one more reason I turned updates off on my weather machine. It gets updated 3 or 4 times a year.  Running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

John
Exactly!

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »
I just checked my Windows Update settings and have discovered that all three of my Win7 systems have been changed to "Install updates automatically". I have NEVER had them set that way! I wonder what has changed those settings without me knowing about it. If it's MS, then they are being very sneaky making changes to my personal settings.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
I just checked my Windows Update settings and have discovered that all three of my Win7 systems have been changed to "Install updates automatically". I have NEVER had them set that way! I wonder what has changed those settings without me knowing about it. If it's MS, then they are being very sneaky making changes to my personal settings.

A very interesting and disturbing observation, Don. I'll check my machines when I get home this evening. If this ends up being true, I may look at Ubuntu or OSX yet. My weather machine can be made into a "Hackintosh" if need be.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
Running eight Windows 7 (Home, Ultimate, and Pro) & three Vista Ultimate machines here, and none of them have recently budged off my preferred update setting, which is to download and notify me of the updates on all but one machine that is set to update automatically.

I have observed in the past when the monthly updates come out that I have gotten an occasional 'surprise' automatic update.  After muttering 'What the h3!!' I reset my update preference.  You should know if your Windows machine has been updated automatically because the 'Updated' window will require your dismissal.

I still believe that the signed com0com I linked to in my post above is the answer to the VVP not running after the latest Window update round, but I can't really help anyone who doesn't bother to look at the 'readme' files and 'help' in VVP and com0com.  Only infants need to be spoon-fed...
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com