Author Topic: How does it work?  (Read 10543 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Re: How does it work?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
Ahh OK sending to Davis net. Never consdered that.

If WL continues to crash VVP     My next suggestion would be to set WL link to IP mode   127.0.0.1   5511

If it crashes again be sure to read the activity log before rebooting or it will erase the log.

I will keep that in mind.  Right now it is running as if I knew what I was doing!  Ha, we know that isn't the case.
Also, I am thinking of running cumulus as well.  I have a friend in NM that uses that and I am unable to relate to what he is saying.   Your help was of course invaluable.  Do you work in software?  You know a lot about it.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
Nope just self taught.

Is this you?    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXHIGHL10&day=31&month=01&year=2013

I don't see any CWOP info being sent.

You should be able to run Cumulus on com 8.   Might just want to download it and look at it.  I don't think it is any better than VWS.

I run WUHU    not much geewhiz but simple.

I have had VWS running all day  looks like a good program but kinda expensive campared to others tht are free or near free.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Nope just self taught.

Is this you?    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXHIGHL10&day=31&month=01&year=2013

I don't see any CWOP info being sent.

You should be able to run Cumulus on com 8.   Might just want to download it and look at it.  I don't think it is any better than VWS.

I run WUHU    not much geewhiz but simple.

I have had VWS running all day  looks like a good program but kinda expensive campared to others tht are free or near free.

Yeah, that's me. KTHIGHL10.  I use that a lot as it shows me the current situation on my roof when I am away every week on the left coast or the right or wherever. Right on my phone. But lately VWS has been found "unresponsive".  I look while at home on my console and then at the displayed temp on VWS and they are not the same.  I have to reboot the computer.  I followed the guy's advice and made my USB ports hot at all times, but it still stalled day before yesterday.  Another reason I want to be downloading data someplace besides just VWS.
Hmm yeah, I need to look into the CWOP; I am supposed to be DW8828, but I guess it's not working either.  Guess there is supposed to be the little icon on my screen and it isn't there.
I leave tomorrow on another 4-day...so I hope this stuff keeps runnin' and working while I am away.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
I found VWS to be using a lot of resources, both memory and CPU, and the VWSaprs bolt-on utility necessary to upload to CWOP was also somewhat cumbersome. While that shouldn't be too much of an issue for most newer desktops, it still a consideration of mine.

I have Cumulus uploading to CWOP, WeatherUnderground, PWSWeather, WeatherBug, and WOW. It runs silently in the background.  You can mouse-over the tray icon for a quick peek at the OD temp, wind speed and direction. Plus I like the look of my customized Cumulus data display panel.

While I'm at it, WUHU also runs quietly uploading to AWEKAS. 
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
Arrowspace90:     Ok I see you made about 36 hours before it quit.     My test VWS did about the same.  But my other programs kept running so I think it is a VWS glitch.

It appears that ambient has made provisions for this.

I set VWS as shown below and will see if that fixes it.

Ambient says that one of the causes of program hang is not enough resources so I set it to medium also.   

I suggest that youset yours the same.   One thing not clear is if it just restarts the program or reboots the whole computer.   If you use the scheduler it definitely reboots the computer.

I also suggest that you install TEAM VIEWER on the computer and whatever you use on the road so that if it does this when you are on the road that you can just log on and fix it.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
Arrowspace90:     Ok I see you made about 36 hours before it quit.     My test VWS did about the same.  But my other programs kept running so I think it is a VWS glitch.

Ambient says that one of the causes of program hang is not enough resources so I set it to medium also.   

I suggest that youset yours the same.   One thing not clear is if it just restarts the program or reboots the whole computer.   If you use the scheduler it definitely reboots the computer.

I also suggest that you install TEAM VIEWER on the computer and whatever you use on the road so that if it does this when you are on the road that you can just log on and fix it.

It quit huh?  I haven't checked it this morning, I am in Washington DC and heading for Portland Or. tonight.  Hopefully when I get home I can do something to prevent that happening.  It is very annoying and it happens frequently.  VWS is running on a capable desptop that I got specifically to run VWS 24/7.
Again I appreciate your suggestions and when  Ireturn home in 2 more days I will configure as you suggest.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »
I called home and my college student daughter confessed that last night about 1940 she was on my desktop looking for one of her old videos.  She managed to turn off my entire desktop!
She restarted it a few minutes ago.  I got her to click on VVP and all the squares went green!
Start watch auto starts VWS and in seconds it was downloading the delayed data.  WL isn't restarted.

I am hoping that, now that my USB ports stay hot and now that VWS is set to serial connection, my problems with VWS becoming unresponsive will end.
As the other poster commented, with VWS set to USB, restarting doesn't bring it back, it just says "unable to communicate with station", or something like that.  Rebooting is required, then it runs fine until the next episode.

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »
Look into start watch, a free program by the fellow who wrote VVP. It will restart hung or crashed programs.

I can't say how well it works, just that I'm aware of it being available.

http://www.softwx.com/windows/startwatch.html
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
Look into start watch, a free program by the fellow who wrote VVP. It will restart hung or crashed programs.

I can't say how well it works, just that I'm aware of it being available.

http://www.softwx.com/windows/startwatch.html

I have it.  I doesn't recognize "stalled" as crashed. 

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Ooops, I missed that you mentioned Start Watch just before my post, ( I was typing! )

I'm a bit disappointed I spent as much as I did on VWS internet edition, and hardly ever use it anymore for several different reasons, including program hang-ups and stalls.

I wish I'd found these forums before buying that.

Good luck with sorting it out, or if you go in a different direction altogether.

Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:55 AM »
Ooops, I missed that you mentioned Start Watch just before my post, ( I was typing! )

I'm a bit disappointed I spent as much as I did on VWS internet edition, and hardly ever use it anymore for several different reasons, including program hang-ups and stalls.

I wish I'd found these forums before buying that.

Good luck with sorting it out, or if you go in a different direction altogether.

yes, VWS was expensive and for that money it needs to work, all the time.  Discovering that it has stalled for the umteenth time is not acceptable.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
Arrowspace90,

As a user of VWS for the past 9 years, I feel your pain. I remember several years ago VWS was 'hanging' regularly on my system. And, thanks to this forum (or perhaps its predecessor), I found many other users were experiencing the same thing. The problem for me and several others was caused by the FTP function within VWS. I found that by turning it off, my 'hanging' problem went away. Because I still needed to get VWS files uploaded to my website, I started using a nice little program called FLING. I've now been using FLING for many years to handle file uploads from VWS. And it's been a very long time since VWS has given me any problems.

Steve

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
It appears that restart if communications lost block does indeed restart the program with out rebooting.   So that in itself may fix the problem.   I can not really test it as this is an eval version and I get a popup when it restarts.

But mine does seem to stop working at random for no reason.  The restart option restarts it.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »

Did all of the above and also now show the APRS file being created once per minute.
Hope these steps keep my data flowing at all times to everyone.  Thanks for suggestions.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
I would just like to say that since I was able, with LOTS of help, to get VVP installed,

ALL of my problems have disappeared.  I have the 3 software wx programs running and updating to the Internet, 24/7.
Not even the troublesome VWS has burped since I got everything stabilized.
Wow, it's all just too perfect, something is surely going to go wrong! :?:

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
Excellent!  Glad it is working well.

I've now got 12 instances of weather programs running against my Davis VP1+ (got to run a bunch for testing with the templates :) )

VVP1 runs on the main system with 7 weather programs, and one TCP port to feed VVP2 on my development system which is using 5 programs.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything