Author Topic: Early change to DST  (Read 8368 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Early change to DST
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:20:29 PM »
Just got my email from Davis....

Oh no!! I have to upate my firmware, update my software.....

I'm still trying to recover from the Y2K debacle, let alone an early time change!!!  :wink:

Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
Re: Early change to DST
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »
WD just pushs an new date/time update into the Davis console... I think it does it once a day.... I'm not even sweating the change.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 01:19:12 AM »
And they are sure way behind the 8 ball on this one. If they were really concerned, they would have started a long time ago on this. 2 days before it happens is way late. Hell, they just issued their new firmware update for the VP1's on the 5th. No way anyone could get an updater in their hands in time. And all they did was patch an old update. That should have been done months and months ago. Not that it is a big deal, but it just ticks me off to no end.    :x

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:01:55 AM »
Now I'm going to have to wake up at 2AM so I can change the date on my console.....

LOL...  :lol:

I can't believe the media is getting so frenzied, well, maybe that's too strong a word, but after the Y2K fizzle, you'd think they had learned...

At least Davis made it easier to find out how to rent the updater, it's just about impossible to find out that fact on their website...

Finally I'll go ahead and get it to update my firmware, at least that's a good thing about the early switch to DST...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Dragonfly

• http://www.crewe-weather.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
Quote from: "racenet"
And all they did was patch an old update. That should have been done months and months ago. Not that it is a big deal, but it just ticks me off to no end.    :x

Bob

Not so sure about that. What I'm thinking is that Davis either modified the firmware from the VP2 or maybe they are the same because my VP1 is now recognized as a VP2 by VPLive. So if that is the case then why not provide the direct from PC update for the VP1 also. :roll:

-Ingo

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 04:38:21 PM »
Davis resisted the VP1 update for a long time, until enough owners called/emailed asking about one. There was a discussion on the Ambient forum about it.

I doubt that the firmware is interchangeable between the 2. More likely it's a typo in the load, or, perhaps, as you surmise, they cut and pasted the patch from one to the other and forgot to edit it. I believe if you do the console keystrokes to see the rev version it shows on the screen as a VP2 as well.

If I had a original VP, I think I'd complain to Davis about that. Sooner or later some program is going to malfunction because it thinks it's talking to a different station.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »
I'm not sure I'm going to do an update to my VP1 now.  I still have ver. 10/25/2001 Rev. A on mine working fine otherwise.  Most of the time I'm awake yet anyway.  

I'm just wondering now if the new change over dates will hold or if they will fool with it again it again playing politics.  I've threatened before to run the station and my computer on GMT and be damned.  As I recall some of the data upload sites put their own time stamp on the data already to prevent problems with computer time accuracy.     :?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:08 PM »
Quote from: "Mark / Ohio"

I'm just wondering now if the new change over dates will hold or if they will fool with it again it again playing politics.  

Con-gress (the opposite of Pro-gress) has 2 years to decide if the new DST rule is "saving enough energy" and if they'll keep it in force or revert to the old rule, (or, heaven forfend, decide on yet a third way to do DST).

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:36:53 PM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"
Con-gress (the opposite of Pro-gress) has 2 years to decide if the new DST rule is "saving enough energy" and if they'll keep it in force or revert to the old rule, (or, heaven forfend, decide on yet a third way to do DST).

Exactly, I caught William's post in the Ambient forum about the two year for lack of a better word "grace" period.  I would really be surprised if Davis would issue anymore updates for the VP1.  The last one seemed to be quite the strain for them.   :wink:

Am I correct in the belief that the VP1 still cannot be updated via computer download without the updater even after this firmware update and only the VP2 has that capability?
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 10:38:27 PM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"
Quote from: "Mark / Ohio"

I'm just wondering now if the new change over dates will hold or if they will fool with it again it again playing politics.  

A third way??

How about DST year-round?  We'd save lots of energy that way, at least 3 footcandles!  :roll:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 11:29:44 PM »
Quote from: "kray1000"

A third way??

How about DST year-round?  We'd save lots of energy that way, at least 3 footcandles!  :roll:

That'd be too simple. They'd put us on DST in the winter and double DST (2 hours forward) in the summer...

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 10:47:03 AM »
Check your VWS for incorrect sun and moon rise and set times today. VWS apparently calcs the times at midnight, which is before the 2AM time change.

Restarting VWS will fix it now, or it should rectify itself tonight at midnight.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
The DST change went fine here with the new Nov 2006 Rev B firmware loaded in my VP1 console, WeatherLink 5.7.1 and Weather-Display 10.37c(01).   Glad I did the VP and WeatherLink updates :-)

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything