Author Topic: Kapersky vs. Bitdefender vs. Avast  (Read 4205 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Kapersky vs. Bitdefender vs. Avast
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:30 PM »
I presently have Avast Internet Security Suite 2014  which the subscription expires in October.      I am always concerned about  security breach in that I am sending data to my website, online banking  and all that other stuff.  I just want to be sure that what I am using fits the bill.

I have a Gateway quad core  i7 processor, 8G RAM and a lot of free disk space. 

Just curious as to who likes what.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Kapersky vs. Bitdefender vs. Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
Vell,. vell... I've got Windows 7 and 8... I used Computer Associates for many many years, then Microsoft came out with their freebie... works great. Run it on all 9 of my machines... once in awhile I'll do a manual Spybot, and Malewarebytes scan, which rarely turns up anything... I see no reason to change... . Once in awhile it warns me about something, and I follow its advice... meanwhile, back to browsing the board... .

Mike

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
+1 on MS free antivirus software.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »

+2
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »

+2

+3 ..... However, it depends on the user. I just upgrade a friend of mine to a Dell Optiplex 960 running Win7 Pro with MS Essentials on it. Barely 48 hours after that she called me cussing out the computer because of all the 'system errors' that kept popping up. While we were on the phone she said "it popped up again and it says that I have over 200 errors and I need to call the phone number on the screen to get it fixed" (insert face-palm here). Fake error virus. Turns out her adult kids came by on Monday and wanted to put one of their web games on it. Yep. Infected the crap out of it and I don't know why MS Essentials didnt stop it. Malwarebytes clean it up.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
these three have pretty high scores. I did use MS essentials until the software received low detection ratings. I know Kapersky is good but heavy on system resources and Avast is there, but I am not positive it is detecting anything, although it could be that my system is clean. Sometimes I get a false positive and have to deal with that.

Bitdefender is also good, but like the three, it keeps offering to sell me additional things for the system that I don't need. I do my own disk maintenance and do not need a 30 dollar add on.

I wrote Avast and asked them what their 2015 product would have as I am in the looking process and want that settled before I have to renew in October.   I do have some time.    What I am finding on an internet search, is like a crap shoot, Forest Gump's proverbial box of chocolates analogy.   

One requirement I do have is that it has to play nice with Weather Display .

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:03 PM »
Malwarebytes will protect you from cutting edge new viruses and malwares better than most. They don't concentrate on the older viruses that may still be floating around. So some kind of antivirus is also recommended. I use the free version MS security essentials along with Malwarebytes enabled in real time and both do daily scans. Malwarebytes is really good at what it does even blocking threats I've encountered surfing. MS security essentials has never found or stopped anything Malwarebytes hadn't already found or blocked. 
Randy

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »
I use Malwarebytes (real-time scanning off - weekly scans), Bitdefender Free Edition (real-time scanning on - exclude all avast! files - weekly scans), Avast Internet Security (real-time security on - exclude all Bitdefender files - weekly scans), and SpyBot (real-time scanning off - weekly scans).

I have been running this for a long time and many viruses has been blocked. This configuration works really well!

If your computer isn't as powerful, I would get avast! free and have the real-time scanning disabled, and only scan manually and then I would have BitDefender Free enabled with real-time and system scans. Also have Malwarebytes and Spybot installed (and run it about once a month).
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »
I have been using Malwarebytes for a while now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:52 PM »
I would say using Malwarebytes and some freebie antivirus is all you need. I have the purchased version that has the real-time capabilities. I was running Bitdefender until I got infected, Malwarebytes immediately found the malware cleaned it out, thats why I now run Malwarebytes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:37:31 PM by PageAzWeather »
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »
I used to run AVG (Free version) on all of my computers. It seemed to work quite well and was not a resource hog either. Haven't used it in the past two years since I switched to MSE exclusively on all systems. I also run Malwarebytes Pro as well as weekly runs of Glary Utilities and Advanced System Care. These items seems to keep my systems clean and running without problems.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »
I do all my personal stuff on the same computer that I do my weather things so I went with a total package. I dropped MSE when they got the low detection rating last fall.  I am with a complete package and there are times the free versions have problems when one wants to jump to something different.  Complete removal, re doing the registry (using ccleaner) and then making sure that all files are completely gone, kind of running naked for a while before using something different.  I need a good firewall as well as all the other goodies.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
Just a reminder where are these antivirus detection ratings coming from? Many flood the net with fake ratings Bitedefender has many and is the one that comes to mind. Consumers are just not aware how easy it is to purchase or flood search engines with custom rankings that look real. 
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »
I used to run AVG (Free version) on all of my computers. It seemed to work quite well and was not a resource hog either. Haven't used it in the past two years since I switched to MSE exclusively on all systems. I also run Malwarebytes Pro as well as weekly runs of Glary Utilities and Advanced System Care. These items seems to keep my systems clean and running without problems.

I used MSE until it quit working on XP, so now I run AVG on all of my computers.  Plus I use Malwarebites occasionally.  I've never heard of  Kapersky or Bitdefender.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything