Author Topic: Aculink reliability  (Read 1193 times)

Offline klb31241

Aculink reliability
« on: March 25, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
Okay guys, need a honest opinion. I have a two year old Acurite 01502bp 5 in 1 weather station that I want to connect to the Internet or do I just buy a different connectable wx station? I just returned an Ambient WS1400 that failed after three weeks. The big question is how reliable is the Acurite Aculink internet bridge? Reviews are six of one and a half a dozen of the other. Thanks
Ken Butler (klb31241) KFLJACKS186

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Aculink reliability
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:12:51 PM »
I had some problems when the bridge first came out a few years back.  Now it is rock-solid.

Last November I got a 5n1 and a bridge for under $100 shipped.  Wait for sales and use things like the Facebook coupons (the last one I used was 20% off) and you can find some bargains.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
+1  Decent wx station for the money.  Bridge is rock solid and so is the Meteobridge implementation.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:25:03 PM »
The bridge is great. No worries there. The only thing I have seen is the barometer not operating, but that has been very very few,  and I would recommend the bridge connection method over the console, since you can read other sensors off of it besides the all in one. Get a meteobridge, and you can do a lot more with the acurite products.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:25 PM »
The big gotcha for the Acu-Rite Internet bridge is that it can only report to Acu-Rite's My Backyard Weather (MBW) web site with frequent updates.  The only export option is to Weather Underground (WU), and MBW only sends data to WU every 15 minutes.  If you want any faster updates or to send to another web site, you will need to use another software solution.

As DoctorKnow pointed out, the benefit of a bridge is that it can report multiple sensors.  If you only have the 5-in-1 and are not planning to use external temp/humidity probes, this is probably not as big of a concern.  If you have an Acu-Rite console with the USB connection, a MeteoBridge license, $20 travel internet router, and 2-port USB hub prices out about the same as the Acu-Rite bridge and lets you report to multiple web sites with ~30 second updates.

I personally ran the Acu-Rite bridge feeding just MBW for a few years with no problems outside of occasional MBW web site hiccups.  I then changed over to MeteoBridge sniffing the Acu-Rite bridge's network traffic for 4 months, with the bridge reporting to MBW and MeteoBridge reporting to WU every ~30 seconds.  After my 5-in-1 had a rare freak-out on a cold sub-zero morning last month, I changed over to feeding MeteoBridge from an Acu-Rite 1035 console that I had on hand and just feeding WU every ~30 seconds.  This is my favorite setup so far, and is simple because the Acu-Rite console USB cable runs to the travel router that hangs on a wall outlet, and sends data over my home wifi.  With the console running off of batteries, I can plug the router into any outlet in the house and that's my weather reporting setup.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
I've had my bridge for about a month, rock solid 100%. If you don't like the 15 minute update to weather reporting websites, there are tons of helpful posts and people on here that can guide you. Meteobridge, raspberry pi implementation, and Kevin Key's program are three popular ways to speed it up. Others exist as well.

Offline klb31241

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
Thanks guys, had a coupon, so I went ahead and sprung for it.
Ken Butler (klb31241) KFLJACKS186

anything