Author Topic: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10  (Read 20565 times)

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
Re: WL 6.0.3 & Windows 10
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
Everybody

Please see my separate post "WeatherLink and Win 10".  Can anyone help with prob., please?  A couple of other things since my previous post.  The date format was correctly set for Australia in Win 7 and is correctly set "25.09" on the data logger Vantage Vue.

Thanks

Keith Griffin
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline ryan hothersall

• Senior Contributor
    • My Stuff on the Web
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 02:34:04 AM »
Weatherlink 6.0.3 went haywire on my windows 10 Pro machine yesterday, so uninstalled it and tried to re install and kept getting this:

2015-10-07 16.31.17 by Ryan Hothersall, on Flickr

Yet it was working fine before it threw a tantrum, so why can't I re install???.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »
Weatherlink 6.0.3 went haywire on my windows 10 Pro machine yesterday, so uninstalled it and tried to re install and kept getting this:

Yet it was working fine before it threw a tantrum, so why can't I re install???.

You say that you were trying to reinstall WL 6.0.3, but the installer says it is trying to install WL 5.8.0. It may be that the older version is not compatible with W10 and/or needs a DLL or a DLL version that is not present in W10. I use W10, but normally run my own software to interface with my weather station. However, I do have WL 6.0.3 installed, and I just ran it to confirm that a recent Windows Update hadn't clobbered it - it ran fine. I would try backing up and then deleting your installation and data directories and reinstalling 6.0.3 from scratch.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
It's said to run 6.0.3 properly, you need 6.0.0 installed first. Whether that's still the case or 5.8.0 suffices in that matter, dunno.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
It's said to run 6.0.3 properly, you need 6.0.0 installed first. Whether that's still the case or 5.8.0 suffices in that matter, dunno.

That isn't my experience on W10. I just installed 6.0.3 directly and (admittedly with very limited use) have seen no problems.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »

That isn't my experience on W10. I just installed 6.0.3 directly and (admittedly with very limited use) have seen no problems.
My statement was based on my recollection of a couple of years ago. Whatever 603 was missing from 600, may now be incorporated into it making 600 unnecessary.

Offline griffo42

• Contributor
    • Carina Weather
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »
When I do a reinstall of Weatherlink, I go back to my CD copy as supplied by Davis when I purchased the software and start with that.  That is ver.5.9.2 for Windows.

I then run in turn, Ver 5.9.3 then Ver 6.0.0 then finally (for now) Ver 6.0.3 all three of which I had downloaded from the Davis web site.  They are all now sitting in my Weatherlink directory.

This approach worked every time with Win 7.

I have recently installed Win 10 and the above happily runs my website.

BTW I fixed my originally reported date problem by simply ensuring the date was properly set up for my location (Brisbane, Australia) and then restarted Win 10 and voila!!

best wishes

Keith G
https://www.kstwx.net/index.php
Davis Vantage Pro2 Model #6152AU
Cumulus latest version
Saratoga Weather World template Cumulus plugin
Carina Weather, Brisbane.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
When I do a reinstall of Weatherlink, I go back to my CD copy as supplied by Davis when I purchased the software and start with that.  That is ver.5.9.2 for Windows.

I then run in turn, Ver 5.9.3 then Ver 6.0.0 then finally (for now) Ver 6.0.3 all three of which I had downloaded from the Davis web site.  They are all now sitting in my Weatherlink directory.

This approach worked every time with Win 7.

I am glad to hear it - but why go through that palaver? I understand from what others have written that there may have been a bug which required the prior installation of a previous version for the successful installation of at least one of the 6.0.x variants, but I cannot imagine why you would want or need successively to install three previous versions before V 6.0.3. As I have noted, V 6.0.3, from the Davis site, installs and runs for me, without prior ado.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »
As I have noted, V 6.0.3, from the Davis site, installs and runs for me, without prior ado.

Just to make sure - are you saying that you can do a "bare metal" install of WeatherLink for Windows Update 6.0.3 - downloaded from http://davisnet.com/support/weather/download/WeatherLink_Install_603.exe -- on a new PC, without first installing some version from a CD supplied by Davis?

In other words, it works without requiring a license?

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »
Just to make sure - are you saying that you can do a "bare metal" install of WeatherLink for Windows Update 6.0.3 - downloaded from http://davisnet.com/support/weather/download/WeatherLink_Install_603.exe -- on a new PC, without first installing some version from a CD supplied by Davis?

In other words, it works without requiring a license?

That was certainly what I was saying, but my memory was playing me false. Having checked my download directories and my disk files, I discovered that I don't have a downloaded copy of the Installer and my Weatherlink CD is, in fact V 6.0.3. I must have installed it from the original CD, though I almost never do this for hardware support utilities - I am used to these not requiring any license other than the existence of the installed hardware on the system. Apologies to all for my confusion!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2015, 09:06:56 PM »

Bottom line:  You purchased a license, which doesn't expire.  Contact Davis to get a CD  that will install on Windows 10.  [Or sometimes they will provide a download that includes the licensing that's on the CD].  After that, you can update directly to the latest version which is 6.0.3

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
One other factor to consider -

Where were you trying to install WL?
If my memory serves me right it defaults to installing into the root directory (C:\)

To do this in Win 10 will require you to right click the installer and Run as a Administrator.
Win 10 is justifiably a little finicky about what goes where.
Then again this could just be nothing to the problem.
Just a thought...

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2015, 06:16:52 PM »
Hello, in meteocampoo.es we are expectants with this improvement, for our opinion the biggest news are:

First: Windows 10 are ARM compatible, and have a minimalist version named "Windows 10 IoT Core"

Second: teorically Windows 10 IoT Core can run on a RASPBERRY PI 2, in other words: weatherlink could work on a raspberry pi 2

Third: Teamviewer 11 beta run on ARM and Windows 10.

Anybody can confirm if itīs true: a raspberry pi 2 ruuning Weatherlink and teamviewer for minimalist, low consuption, zero noise, remote stations?

nest days will try it.

meteocampoo team

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
AFAIK Teamviewer 11 does not run (yet?) on Raspbian.  You can run TV 10 via Exagear though.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
Greetings:

I am currently running Win 10 build 1511 or 101586 with only one issue.
WL is in fact keeping my computer from going to screen saver (all of my pano weather photos) unless I set it exactly 4 minutes.
No matter what I set the Display Power Down setting to it will refuse to do it.
If I choose a different user account the screensaver and power settings work perfectly even though WL is working flawlessly on my main account int the background.
I know the problem is WL's custom mouse settings that make it look a wind anemometer in action during downloads, which makes Windows think the mouse is being moved.
Yes I am working on that one but nearly given up...

I have heard that some users are tired of drivers being automatically swapped out without their approval.
Here is a simple step by step to stop automatic driver updates without your approval:
http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10
Here is another interesting tool that is just too intriguing to overlook
http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

To find out what version of Windows you are using type the Windows Icon Key and "R" (or the run command) then type "winver" without any quotes.

Randall

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2016, 06:53:27 PM »
Back to the questions of Windows 7 & 10 automatic updates I came up with a solution:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29952.0

Randall

anything