Author Topic: AcuRite Access??  (Read 25440 times)

Offline thomas

• Contributor
Re: AcuRite Access??
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2018, 07:47:46 PM »
FYI, Placed my order for the access  thur and it arrived today.

Offline pcjunky

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
The big thing I've noticed is that the Access sends out a fraction of the data the SmartHub sent to MyAcurite.  Acurite is going to save a lot of money on server bandwidth.

I've got 13 sensors with only 7 logged at once to MyAcurite.  The SmartHub used to rank 2 or 3 in net traffic on my router.   Now it's not even in the top 10.  The only issue I have is that sometimes when I check my sensors with the MyAcurite app it will sometimes show red or yellow instead of green for the status of a sensor.  I'm not sure if it's because the data hasn't been updated recently or that the sensor had a poor signal and couldn't be read during the last update cycle.

I do like the new device info page for the Access.  I don't remeber how many sensors used to be listed on the SmartHub but I can see all my sensors now and check signal and battery status.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
The big thing I've noticed is that the Access sends out a fraction of the data the SmartHub sent to MyAcurite.  Acurite is going to save a lot of money on server bandwidth.

I've got 13 sensors with only 7 logged at once to MyAcurite.  The SmartHub used to rank 2 or 3 in net traffic on my router.   Now it's not even in the top 10.  The only issue I have is that sometimes when I check my sensors with the MyAcurite app it will sometimes show red or yellow instead of green for the status of a sensor.  I'm not sure if it's because the data hasn't been updated recently or that the sensor had a poor signal and couldn't be read during the last update cycle.

I do like the new device info page for the Access.  I don't remeber how many sensors used to be listed on the SmartHub but I can see all my sensors now and check signal and battery status.

Instead of sending all traffic to myAcurite, the Access sends sensor data to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals bundled as a group.  It's also encrypted.

Wunderground traffic is still unencrypted and sent in real-time, though.

Offline Catskin

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
FYI, Placed my order for the access  thur and it arrived today.

you were lucky, mine was placed on the 5th and it still has not shipped as of the 15th.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
Mine came today! Fairly easy setup on MyAcurite. Did you guys just unplug your SmartHub and run the access? Did you remove the hub from your MyAcurite account?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Catskin

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
My order just shipped today (1/16).  Should be here maybe on the 22nd.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »
Mine came today! Fairly easy setup on MyAcurite. Did you guys just unplug your SmartHub and run the access? Did you remove the hub from your MyAcurite account?

I have two stations in two different locations with two MyAcurite accounts. So things get a little tricky.

Basically, I had to remove my SmartHub from that location's account and then have the Access labeled as the station that was reporting out to WU by assigning the WU station ID. Took me a few tries to figure everything out. Hope this helps.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
Instead of sending all traffic to myAcurite, the Access sends sensor data to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals bundled as a group.  It's also encrypted.

Wunderground traffic is still unencrypted and sent in real-time, though.

An update on this...

Maxwellpower took a deeper look at the encryption and found that Acurite is not being strict about certificates.  This means you can create your own "fake" cert and decrypt the data.  Doing that is more involved than just passively sniffing, but it's certainly doable.

https://github.com/acuparse/acuparse/issues/17

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
I saw that on the FB group the other da; thanks for sharing here.

What types of things would that allow for George?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
I saw that on the FB group the other da; thanks for sharing here.

What types of things would that allow for George?

Since the data can be decrypted, it is possible to read all sensors and their data.  Still, you're going to be limited to 5-minute updates.

Interesting to note is that the Access is doing more calculations by itself rather than relying on the servers.  For example, the Access is sending heat index, feels like, wind average, and a few other values.  This might indicate that the Access will have more local features in the future.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
Appreciate the insight George! Sounds like all good things going forward. Certainly could mean more data from the systems.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
My new access came yesterday. Hooked it up and had it going in just a few minutes. It already had been updated, so no waiting for a download before linking with myacurite. The access started sending to Wunderground in 10 minutes or so.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:21 PM »
Just installed my Accsess and wow what a difference in signal!! =D> a steady 4 bars!! where I was only getting 2 on a good day with the old Hub, so a definite improvement for sure  \:D/. Very easy to install, link up and start sending data no problems at all.

One question I have is does anyone fill out the information at the top of the IP page? do you need too? what is it for?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
No... That page is for internal troubleshooting only.

Trying to enter that data their evenutually is a recipe or dispair.   You sometimes get flaky results or a full-blow brick.

I've tried it enough not to trust it.  :mad:

I'd guess it lacks any sanity checking on the input.

Once it even asked me for a MAC number.  :roll:

All entries should be made through the myAcurite interface for safey.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
I didn't add anything I was just wondering,Thanks George I'll leave it alone/Blank.

Why don't it show FW Ver. and I.D like the old Hub did?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:45:41 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
Just installed my Accsess and wow what a difference in signal!! =D> a steady 4 bars!! where I was only getting 2 on a good day with the old Hub, so a definite improvement for sure  \:D/. Very easy to install, link up and start sending data no problems at all.

Does the signal strength meter on the Access correlate exactly with the signal strength meter of the SmartHub?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

Does the signal strength meter on the Access correlate exactly with the signal strength meter of the SmartHub?
?

Where I had the old Hub sitting I had 2 bars, the New Accsess same exact spot I have 4 bars now.

Interestingly I had a mysterious tower sensor(neighbor?) that with the old Hub I was barely able to pick it up from time to time, The Accsess has it 4 bars now.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »
My 5 in 1 keeps getting kicked off wunderground on the access. It didn't ever get kicked off with the smarthub. I thought my fan was running slow, so I oiled it up, and now it is turbo charged, but I am still getting kicked off. My temperature is only 2 or 3 F higher than my Excelvan WH2310. Before I oiled the fan, it was 6 F higher...At night, my 5n1 is 5 F too low.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:14:20 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2018, 07:23:07 PM »

It behaves the same, but on the other hand they aren't calibrated to each other either.

The Access has a cleaner antenna installation which likely acquires a clearer signal, resulting in a higher RSI value.

They are using the same radio chip for reception, it's mainly the antenna that has changed.  The antenna also no longer runs the length of the motherboard, picking up noise it doesn't need.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:16:30 PM by nincehelser »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
I needed to make a decision on using my Access discount code since its expiring soon (03/31/18). Don’t really need one since I have a working SmartHub supported until February 28, 2019. I only need an Access if I decide to buy an Atlas or my SmartHub dies. Not sure I'll be buying an Atlas because of the lack of information on its release date and price range, which makes the decision harder to make.

But anyway… I decided to buy an Access for $40. But I’m going to leave it unused in the box and rely on my SmartHub until its support ends. I feel I can always sell the Access for a profit on eBay or Craigslist at a later date.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2018, 03:36:44 PM »
I needed to make a decision on using my Access discount code since its expiring soon (03/31/18). Don’t really need one since I have a working SmartHub supported until February 28, 2019. I only need an Access if I decide to buy an Atlas or my SmartHub dies. Not sure I'll be buying an Atlas because of the lack of information on its release date and price range, which makes the decision harder to make.

But anyway… I decided to buy an Access for $40. But I’m going to leave it unused in the box and rely on my SmartHub until its support ends. I feel I can always sell the Access for a profit on eBay or Craigslist.
Your wasting away your 1 year warranty, Use it, if you end up not staying with AccuRite it will always sell on fleabay for a profit even used.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2018, 09:28:21 AM »
When the red light starts flashing on Access, what is that an indicator of?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
When the red light starts flashing on Access, what is that an indicator of?
I think no internet connection.
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Handy Access Light Guide:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
Cool thanks George.

George why cant I see my firmware in my splash page?? those lines are all blank?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:37:00 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38