Author Topic: Omaha Severe Weather question?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline jman09

Omaha Severe Weather question?
« on: July 12, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »
Hello everyone new to the forum. I live In Omaha Nebraska and i was wondering from a more professional point of view what is going on here with the last few years of no severe storms whatsoever. I remember being a Kid and there were severe storms in May June July and August. Mostly Cold fronts in July and August causing bow echoes and straightline wind events but there were still tornado warnings.

So what has happend to the Omaha Area and not getting storms for the last few years its been all to the south and everytime i ask this question on the internet since storms seem to always go around the Omaha area and miss us i hear these stupid conspiracy theories saying its haarp blah blah blah i think its BS because some local meteorologist have told me Omaha is Not safe its just luck of the draw. But i would appreciate a professional opinion of whats going on with Eastern Nebraska Lack of severe weather.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Omaha Severe Weather question?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:42 PM »
Hello everyone new to the forum. I live In Omaha Nebraska and i was wondering from a more professional point of view what is going on here with the last few years of no severe storms whatsoever. I remember being a Kid and there were severe storms in May June July and August. Mostly Cold fronts in July and August causing bow echoes and straightline wind events but there were still tornado warnings.

So what has happend to the Omaha Area and not getting storms for the last few years its been all to the south and everytime i ask this question on the internet since storms seem to always go around the Omaha area and miss us i hear these stupid conspiracy theories saying its haarp blah blah blah i think its BS because some local meteorologist have told me Omaha is Not safe its just luck of the draw. But i would appreciate a professional opinion of whats going on with Eastern Nebraska Lack of severe weather.
If your local (I assume NWS meteorologist) tells you something, what makes you think there's more qualified professional people here?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »
One must never complain of lack of bad things.

Offline jman09

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »
Well Because i was wondering if there is a meteorologist answer for the lack of events in Omaha. I have not talked to this local guy in years and it was only brief.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
Well Because i was wondering if there is a meteorologist answer for the lack of events in Omaha. I have not talked to this local guy in years and it was only brief.
As I see it, as said before, happenstance.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
Not sure about why Omaha is missing out but I know last year (2014) Nebraska had the most tornadoes 87 and only surpassed by Kansas and Texas with severe weather incidents 1077. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/2014_annual_summary.html#
Randy

Offline monisa18

• Lower Ohio Valley Tri-state Severe Weather's owner
    • Ohio Valley WX
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:22:05 PM »
It really is just luck plus some factors may not be there. Most severe weather was actually to the east CONUS

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:49:01 AM »
Here was your answer for tomorrow from the MDL:
Oops. :oops:  I forgot that the MDL's image was going to be updated.  When it was, the small red dot for possible severe weather located over Omaha was gone.  I should have saved it.

(No, I don't really think the MDL is toying with you.  Again, just the luck of the draw.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:16:41 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline jman09

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
It looks like the fact that it rained and remained cloudy all day has shot down the chance for severe storms here. Although southeastern Nebraska is still under the gun southeastern Nebraska are the people who are always getting hit. So this is pretty typical for Omaha

As a storm enthusiast i feel like i live in a dang dry county. Anyway its just different from when i was a kid we would get hit all the time. But im sure patterns do change and the pattern will come around again.

Here is the link to our local updated forecast which talks about what i pretty much just said.  http://www.ketv.com/weather/forecast

anything