Author Topic: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix  (Read 90234 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 08:38:09 AM »
Ok so where can i find a diopter for a foscam ip cam i searched and couldnt find one or maybe im not lookin in the right spot.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=-2+diopter+viewfinder%27&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A-2+diopter+viewfinder%27
Or-- perhaps Don-in-Ohio and his brother-in-law would consider something on the side. I expect we could get at least 3 or 4 correctors out of a single lens blank. I claim 25% of it. :twisted:

I suppose any - 2 or so corrective diopter would work... below uses a Nikon Viewfinder correction adapter.
And here's original prototype of how I'll be re-mounting mine: (That's a Logitech C920 right out of the box)

That's a harness made out of 24 gauge(?) solid copper wire stripped out of some old telephone wire I had kicking around. About 15-16" folded in half, twisted into the grooves in that NIKON adapter, and using the folded loop to catch and hold the two ends, on the back. Simple. Adjustable. Removable. Not messy like tape. Harness available in various colors to match your décor. Just takes a bit of fooling with. Yes, the single 'hooks' through the loop on the back are for adjustment, and once lens is positioned, that's sufficient to hold it tightly. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:40:25 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »
Sorry to say my Bro-In-Law doesn't have any spare -2.0 lens laying around or any other strength for that matter. He told me last night when he has to get new lens he has to order a brand new set of them, which is over $500.

I just ordered this from Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FRD7RC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item Looking forward to getting it on the camera. Where will you be placing the new 920 unit? And where did you get your lens? Or did I miss it?

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
Got these Nikons http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00009R8TE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
before Adorama Camera ran out of stock. They're getting in short supply in the industry, anyway, as mentioned earlier. (Ok, so on a second order I sorta bought what I believe to be Adorama's remaining stock ;) .. so I've got some extra private stock...  :twisted: just in case.)
3 of my cams are mounted in some marked down closeout housings, again from Amazon, ($25) but I think they're gone: (especially after I again ordered a couple more for backup). My fourth (cam4) is a C910 mounted in a small halogen light fixture. (It's 'birdcam' right now, snowcam in season.
The extra 920 is for a spare... already had 2 active USB cables killed by lightening.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »
Got these Nikons http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00009R8TE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
before Adorama Camera ran out of stock. They're getting in short supply in the industry, anyway, as mentioned earlier. (Ok, so on a second order I sorta bought what I believe to be Adorama's remaining stock ;) .. so I've got some extra private stock...  :twisted: just in case.)
3 of my cams are mounted in some marked down closeout housings, again from Amazon, ($25) but I think they're gone: (especially after I again ordered a couple more for backup). My fourth (cam4) is a C910 mounted in a small halogen light fixture. (It's 'birdcam' right now, snowcam in season.
The extra 920 is for a spare... already had 2 active USB cables killed by lightening.

Good morning and thank you for all of the valuable information. Those camera housing units look very similar to one I am expecting today or Monday from eBay.

Regarding the lens from Japan I think it was... did it dship direct from Japan or did Amazon have it in stock somewhere? Just curious as I may upgrade my other weather camera soon. Thanks again.

Don in Ohio

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »
I have several Logitech cameras and bought a few of these to test out your project. Will keep you updated on the results.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
before Adorama Camera ran out of stock. They're getting in short supply in the industry, anyway, as mentioned earlier. (Ok, so on a second order I sorta bought what I believe to be Adorama's remaining stock ;) .. so I've got some extra private stock...  :twisted: just in case.)

Regarding the lens from Japan I think it was... did it dship direct from Japan or did Amazon have it in stock somewhere? Just curious as I may upgrade my other weather camera soon. Thanks again.

The Nikons came from New York...Adorama through Amazon...

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
before Adorama Camera ran out of stock. They're getting in short supply in the industry, anyway, as mentioned earlier. (Ok, so on a second order I sorta bought what I believe to be Adorama's remaining stock ;) .. so I've got some extra private stock...  :twisted: just in case.)

The Nikons came from New York...Adorama through Amazon...

Yep. I got mine from Adorama - a certain unnamed Cutty Sark bought up all the stock shortly after my purchase.  ;-)
"Just an Old-fashioned Love Song"

Offline Weather Man

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
I had a -2 diopter lens laying around and figured it could be a nice idea to try it out on a DCS-930L (focal length 5.01 mm) I recently set up:

Before:

After:

I believe it will require stacking (to -3 or -4 maybe) as suggested earlier  in this thread. I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 05:29:19 PM »
Gee.. I dunno... I've got one (DCS-930L) gathering dust in a closet. Your pic is about what I was seeing, maybe bit better. Its a VGA wireless camera. Nothing I tried helped it. Bad contrast, esp outdoor, and no adjustment. Not bad for what it is designed for: indoor moderate light. moderate resolution IP... Gave up on low end IPs and wireless... but the Logitech Digital USB's with their software controllers are adequate, esp with the diopter added and higher resolution than that Dlink also. I don't think a diopter is gonna help much with that 930- didn't for me.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
Hate to say it Weather Man but I personally think your before photo looked better than the after photo. Dump the camera and invest in the Logitech C920 if at all possible and apply that -2 lens you have. What I'm seeing from everyones photos, you won't be disappointed. Just my opinion.

Don in Ohio

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
Not sure about others but my NEW C920 is not doing so well. If I switch it to photo mode, it flickers like crazy. I also had to roll back the software to an earlier version just to get the photo setup to work at all. A bit worried this thing is going to crap out. Video still takes a brilliant image.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
I've had mine for a couple weeks now and other than it needing glasses it's been fine. I do have an earlier version of software on my computer though; that being for a Logitech 270 I think it was.

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »
Did you download the latest drivers from Logitech?  Are you talking about Logitech photo mode, or webcam7 capture??? Don't try to operate the Logitech program package if you're feeding Webcam7 -- Do all your settings and captures in webcam 7, NOT in the logitech webcam software. In WC7 monitor mode, Right click your source thumbnail, use source settings In Logitech software advanced settings, make sure your anti-flicker is off. NTSC-60HZ checked. Make sure 'follow my face, rightsound, auto-focus unchecked.
Try that, but most of all make sure you're using the latest Logitech drivers. They're in the Logitech program you downloaded. The Logitech program is designed for 'stand-alone' or feeding one of their services, not working at same time as your Webcam 7....
You're just using the cam drivers from Logitech for Webcam 7, and accessing the cam controls 'back-door' from WC7...

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 11:55:34 PM »
How do I change resolution in webcam 7?? Mine always comes up 320 x 240...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
From your PM you were having the issue with Logitech, and didn't have Webcam installed.
Make sure you've got latest Logitech software installed:
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4096/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzcxNDY5MjE0L3NpZC9TUENFU1lzbA%3D%3D
In Logitech, software,
click"Quick Capture" set to"Photo" click"Controls"  on Controller" Resolution: default is 'small'. Change to "15mps" for highest. (for 920)

None of which is relevant using WC7
Remember, you'll be 'backdooring' the Logitech software from  WC7. Resolution Settings are done thru WC7.
Brightness, etc done through 'backdoor" Logitech from WC7:

Make sure C920 connected before starting WC7... Close the Logitech software if it's open. First time, you might have to reboot pc with cam connected.
Initially WC7 sometimes won't find a cam connected after program started. Some settings in WC7 will require WC7 to be closed and restarted to become effective.
But NOT these:
Open WC7. "Monitor" Right Click "position 1" On 'source' look for Your C920 as a "PCI/USB (WDM driver)". Select it.
Click back on the "position 1 thumb" to select the cam. which chould now show in the monitor window.
I believe webcam7 will initially default to a low resolution... once WC7 connected to the camera, "Monitor", right click your source thumb,
"Video Format", will show you available resolution modes
, select whatever. "Source Settings" is where the Logitech software is called up for Zoom, brightness, etc.

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
ok so im still wondering which way to go positive or negative and how many diopters i would need for this image to look sharper..

and would the diopters u mentioned above fit my cam here's a pic of it..

and do i just tape them on the current lens and stack them? sorry to keep askin questions just want to kno this stuff before i buy it..

thanks
Mike
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
I couldn't say... isn't that a wireless VGA cam? I suspect your initial image would be hard to enhance. I guess I need to get that old 930 out of the closet if I can find it, and experiment..,.
They had poor resolution to start with, compared to the Loggies we're playin' with, far as I know...
Tape would work awhile outdoors, I suppose.  See post #25 above for how I'm remounting my adapters. doesn't matter, long as it covers the lens field of view... doesn't have to cover the whole camera body.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 05:46:02 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
I couldn't say... isn't that a wireless VGA cam? I suspect your initial image would be hard to enhance. I guess I need to get that old 930 out of the closet if I can find it, and experiment..,.
They had poor resolution to start with, compared to the Loggies we're playin' with, far as I know...
Tape would work awhile outdoors, I suppose.  See post #25 above for how I'm remounting my adapters. doesn't matter, long as it covers the lens field of view... doesn't have to cover the whole camera body.

this is the details of my cam.. idk if its VGA or not it doesnt say tho. lol

Foscam FI8904W Outdoor Wireless IP Camera The Foscam FI8904W Wireless IP Camera features high quality video, waterproof and weather proof outdoor housing, remote internet viewing, motion detection, night-vision as well as a built in network video recording system. In addition, it is smartphone compatible (Iphone, Android & Blackberry) as well as viewable over the internet using standard browsers. The camera functions well as an Iphone baby monitor or as part of a home or office security system with remote internet monitoring ability.
Features:

IR-Cut filter for true color video and images
Outdoor fixed wireless IP camera
24 IR LEDs for night vision up to 20 meters
Fitted with a 3.6 mm lens for a wide 45 degree viewing angle

Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »
I received my diopters today but didn't realize they were +2. Are they worth opening or should I return?

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
I received my diopters today but didn't realize they were +2. Are they worth opening or should I return?
You need the negative diopters to correct nearsightedness. I'd return them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:24:01 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
Pulled the old Dlink DCS930L out of the closet. Nothing I could do would improve the image quality. Suspect the same will be true of other wireless VGA type lower res cams. (best px qual was 480 on the 930) It was sickening to look at, after working with the digital USB loggies... yuccchhhh,....  of course that's why I began experimenting with the older loggies I had around... and graduated to the 920s... Back in the closet wit'ya, dlinker.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »
So I got me a new -2 Diopter and a new case for my web camera. Here is the old compared to the new. Opinions?

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
So I got me a new -2 Diopter and a new case for my web camera. Here is the old compared to the new. Opinions?
 =D> Probably be even sharper if you stepped it up to 1024X576. It also seems like the cam will 'get smarter' after being on a few days. Don't ask me to explain that... maybe it's just me getting used to it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:00:11 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
I did step it up to the size you suggested and right after my server went down! Waiting for it to come back up. Here are some noticeable differences I can point out in the black circles. Now I'll attach the new image and again the old one with the circles. I'll wait a couple days before I decide it's wiser to try and focus it on something much closer. I will say when pointing the camera out my "office" window it showed the leaves much crisper! I'll wait to see if mine "smartens up" too.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
In Logitech software leave Auto Focus OFF- set to infinity.  Advanced settings: turn anti flicker off. Taking your horizon down to less than 30% or so, if you want more cloud details seems to cause better response. A 50/50 'dark' / light field of view doesn't seem to be overall as crisp as a 70-30 ratio, if you follow me. Maybe it's just my setups and personal preferences,  however...(brightness/contrast response) Play with the settings, turning 'autos' off, etc.