Author Topic: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix  (Read 90475 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
Here are three photos...

One of my camera in its new housing unit right after I placed it in the housing unit...

One of my camera on the roof in the permanent position, and...

One of a photo taken today. Looks like day 2 of the "learning" is going well.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
VERY NICE!!!!
"Just an Old-fashioned Love Song"

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
'atz whut um talkin' 'bout!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »
Should have known it was too good to be true...

After just a week my image had degraded but not to the point it was before the -2 Diopter was applied to the camera. Attached are two images. One which was great in my opinion, and one taken just a short time ago. I went to the extent to check and see if the diopter had fallen off the camera; it had not. I cleaned the housing unit with window cleaner and made sure my settings were ...

AUTO FOCUS... OFF
ANTI FLICKER ... OFF

Any ideas? Really just irks me I guess.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
Only thing I notice different in your image comparison is the amount of clouds. The white in the clouds is probably making the camera compensate a bit different. Overall, I would be happy with the most recent. It's really not that bad. I've been running a -2 diopter on my c910 for about 3-4 days now and have been pleased with the results so far. It's not public now but should be relatively soon.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
Don, recheck your Logitech advanced settings... adjust to suit. Make sure it isn't set to follow your face!
With Right Light on, the cam will sometimes be slow to readjust, especially if there are a lot of changes in brightness. Remember to do these adjustments through the backdoor, using 'source settings' in Webcam
If you are running that cam with any 'zoom' the Logitech software may begin averaging more, as my #4 seems to do. Zoom it all the way out.
Here's another stupid thingy I've discovered about mine... there are itsy-bitsy spiders, about a mm...they build an almost invisible web. And they like to do this at dusk or after a storm. If they get anywhere close to the cam lens, the auto circuits get confused.  Reflections, etc. The cam is sensitive to light freqs we can't see, I suppose.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
Don, recheck your Logitech advanced settings... adjust to suit. Make sure it isn't set to follow your face!
With Right Light on, the cam will sometimes be slow to readjust, especially if there are a lot of changes in brightness. Remember to do these adjustments through the backdoor, using 'source settings' in Webcam
If you are running that cam with any 'zoom' the Logitech software may begin averaging more, as my #4 seems to do. Zoom it all the way out.
Here's another stupid thingy I've discovered about mine... there are itsy-bitsy spiders, about a mm...they build an almost invisible web. And they like to do this at dusk or after a storm. If they get anywhere close to the cam lens, the auto circuits get confused.  Reflections, etc. The cam is sensitive to light freqs we can't see, I suppose.

I put 4 mothballs into the housing unit, right behind the cam. That helps with lots of bugs except one type of spider that lives to tick me off.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

OK well I'm going to finish mowing the yard then climb back up there and check the lens for that small spider web. Maybe I have the Diopter -2 lens on backwards? Or maybe the camera took a buzz from the recent storms and is rtoast? MAYBE I'll have to drive all the way back to Canton or over to Wheeling, turn it in as defective and get another one? Orrrrrrr, just take it ALL down and forget the whole dang hair pulling hobby.  :?

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »
I checked the case that the camera is in this evening after I mowed. I did find a tiny spider on there and it was on the clear plastic lens the camera looks through on the housing case so I cleaned it off. I'll check it in the morning and if it isn't back to the way it was on the 20th I'll exchange it. The more I think about it the more likely it received a bit of a shock when the storms moved through here the other night. It was very sharp and clear up through then if I recall correctly. Anyone else ever lost a camera or have its quality reduced due to lightning or static electricity?

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2013, 06:45:46 AM »
I checked the case that the camera is in this evening after I mowed. I did find a tiny spider on there and it was on the clear plastic lens the camera looks through on the housing case so I cleaned it off.
You must renegotiate your contract with the spider's agent. Apparently they misread the 'conditional use' clause requiring them to remain 15mm away from the lens. They may now be subject to a fine.
I'll check it in the morning and if it isn't back to the way it was on the 20th I'll exchange it.
Oh, I'd stick with this awhile. I had / have a similar problem with one of my triplets once in awhile. Possibly because I'm driving 3 C920s on a single Logitech program. Unplug the cam, from USB power... wait a bit... reconnect, reset what ya need to.
Actually, I suspect it may be a more of a USB power issue ...dunno about that for sure... which leads me to:
The more I think about it the more likely it received a bit of a shock when the storms moved through here the other night. It was very sharp and clear up through then if I recall correctly. Anyone else ever lost a camera or have its quality reduced due to lightning or static electricity?
Not a camera, although I thought so at first. Mine connect to a powered usb hub. Each has two 11meter active usb extension cables. On my initial 2 cam setup, (actually with 3 active 16' extensions each) a near miss air to air bolt killed a camera... it knocked out all 3  :!: of the active extensions to one cam... not the camera (which is still running as 'cam 3' today). The electromagnetic field generated by the lightening fried nothing... nothing smoked or melted. Just enough surge induced to destroy the electronics in the cables. Betcha in my (sigh, long gone) electronics career I fixed several thousand devices that I suspect induced surges had whacked, rather than direct power line hits. I sometimes took a 50KV Hi voltage probe, when a garden variety cell with no lightening went overhead, and connected it across antenna leads, then watch the charge build up until it pegged. True, most of that EMF would continuously bleed off, if the antenna were actually connected to something, and never reach that level... but that could still cook today's stuff with no problem, and leave no evidence. Eventually, we'll lose a camera, or an active cable, or a hub, so:
Now I keep spares. And maintain the best karma. :idea:

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
Additionally - the setup Cutty & I are using CAN be a bit "hinky" at times. My camera went to black for 2 days when using the logitech software. It had previously gone to black ONLY in photo mode. I did a reboot of the system but that did not help. I finally deleted the entire program, including the drivers and then downloaded the latest stuff. IT IS ALIVE!!!

I am currently trying a small experiment with the camera and will post results here IF and after the sky becomes anything except a gray sheet of clouds.

What type of USB cable are you using? Is it powered? Cutty Sark is probably correct in his guess. I forget where but I read you can buy a powered usb cable that is shielded. The longer the cable, the greater the loss.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
I checked my programs files this morning and sure enough the new program for the 920 was NOT installed. I downloaded it from Logitech and installed and now the picture does appear to be a bit "sharper" than before. However I also noticed in my programs that the "drivers" had not been updated. Is it necessary to update the drivers and if so, where can I find a download for that, or have I missed it on here? Thanks.

Don

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:06 AM »
I checked my programs files this morning and sure enough the new program for the 920 was NOT installed. I downloaded it from Logitech and installed and now the picture does appear to be a bit "sharper" than before. However I also noticed in my programs that the "drivers" had not been updated. Is it necessary to update the drivers and if so, where can I find a download for that, or have I missed it on here? Thanks.

Don
Don - The drivers are shared so the ones you have are probably up to date. Have you installed Webcam 7?? It works well with Logitech AND you can see a FULL SCREEN image. It is a free download. Just do NOT run it if the Logitech software is open.

http://download.cnet.com/webcam-7/3000-2648_4-75147296.html

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Don, The drivers should be in the updated Logitech stuff... http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/hd-pro-webcam-c920
Make sure you've got the newest, and the correct one for your pc.
I'd disconnect the cam.
uninstall the entire Logitech suite on your pc.
Install the new.
Don't worry about detecting the cam.
Close the Logitech program.
Open (you using webcam7?) and connect your camera.
If you're lucky, you'll see something cool like 'drivers installing" or 'installed'.. or something similar on a taskbar, or win popup.
Logitech might even open... whatever.
Regardless, wait a moment or two.
Now, if not running WC7, I'm not sure what to tell you to do, other than if Logitech doesn't open,
open it yourself, and follow appropriate buttons, instructions, settings, etc.
Otherwise you want to backdoor all the settings, if possible, from the program that's serving the cam... rather than the logi software. Follow me???

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
99% of the time this is gonna work fine... BTW.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2013, 03:22:32 PM »
Good Afternoon one and all...
First off, the version of WebCam I have running is WebCamXP 5. I'll delete that and update it soon.
Second I want to thank everyone who has bothered to reply to my countless questions / comments.
Thirdly I've attached a current photo which to me looks about as good as it did back on June 20th.
Fourth When you say "Uninstall the entire Logitech suite on your pc" do you mean including "Logitech Legacy USB Driver Package" and "Logitech QuickCam Driver Package"? I am figuring you do.

Thanks and I'll be in touch as you probably have figured by now LOL  :lol:

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
Oops, here's the photo.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »
Good Afternoon one and all...
First off, the version of WebCam I have running is WebCamXP 5. I'll delete that and update it soon.
Second I want to thank everyone who has bothered to reply to my countless questions / comments.
Thirdly I've attached a current photo which to me looks about as good as it did back on June 20th.
Fourth When you say "Uninstall the entire Logitech suite on your pc" do you mean including "Logitech Legacy USB Driver Package" and "Logitech QuickCam Driver Package"? I am figuring you do.

Thanks and I'll be in touch as you probably have figured by now LOL  :lol:
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/238545-Y36V/wlite560.exe which is probably what you have.
If you've got 65 bucks sitting around, I'd get the xp pro, if you've a mind to purchase...

Uninstall all the Logitech stuff and install the package from the link.
Start clean.
I've taken mine offline this afternoon to do some maint on the server... that's always fun... cleaning, etc...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Let me clarify that uninstall thingy.... programs, uninstall Logitech. You'd probably want to leave the legacies, unless the uninstall takes 'em out too. Just do the program uninstall.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »
Thank you, Cutty Sark Sailor! Did all you suggested and here's the result!!

Don in Ohio

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
PERFECT!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Just gotta keep trudgin', when taking a new path!... :-P

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
Did you see what these little buggers are capable of, on my other post... here's link to
image http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/misc/pan06282013.jpg

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Did you see what these little buggers are capable of, on my other post... here's link to
image http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/misc/pan06282013.jpg

Yes I did see that! I'm envious and jealous!!! Seriously looks great!!! Nice job!!  =D>

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
Just gotta keep trudgin', when taking a new path!... :-P

Very true. I am the first to admit that I'm one of the LEAST patient people I know!!!

anything